Sign in to follow this  
Sir Quinny

I will try this again

I posted recently along the lines of my local club Bournemouth being affiliated with a local community group called playershare - which is community run mutual compnay which helps the club with the purchasing of players - the proviso was that the Bournemouth board were missmanaging funds and none were available from players (much as we possibly see here).

Playershare enabled many locals and some affluent local business people to create a fund for players only ( have you ever wondered where all your share money goes?) where money was given towards transfer fees and wages with a proviso that a portion of income recievd for the sale of these players was paid back to playershare.

This is only the bare bones of the scheme

It has become evident to me that the board does not have enough money to pay towards players which the club needs.  We have also been told for many years that the club is a communtiy club.

I am really interested in taking something like this forward - I know of one local investor (Attelborough) who would be willing to pay in a considerable sum and i expect there are more out there.

Would peeople see this as a benefit to the club - and would people be willing to help me?

[quote user="Sir Quinny"]

Would peeople see this as a benefit to the club - and would people be willing to help me?

[/quote]

I am stupidly poor at the moment and for the forseeable future. However, I will back this idea with whatever funds I can afford. Good post SQ!

I remember this thread SQ.

I don''t know how competent the Bournmouth manager is, so it''s difficult for me to say in their case if it is a worth while exercise giving him money to spend. Does he spend it wisely?

I would not feel confident in handing over money to finance the purchases of players brought in by Worthy.

The other issue for me is that your average Bounmouth player would cost quite a bit less than the calibre of player we need to be bringing into Carrow Road in order to grow. And if you are only getting back a percentage of their future sale, members of the company would need to have some very deep pockets. Do you think it would be realistic for us to generate 2 million pounds to sign Rob Hulse and fund his wages on top as an example? Or even 1 million plus for Steve Howard? Would we even want to be spending that much on those type of players?

Clearly a fantastic idea at a lower level. Probably unrealistic at ours.

Pretty balmy idea. Something the banana republic down the road might come up with. I can see the red faced buffoon announcing it at the next board meeting. " I say you chaps, what a jolly wonderful wheeze.

It basically meant a bunch of fans transferring about £50,000 of their pension fund into a company that would then buy the ground and some surrounding land. The company would have to take out a mortgage of another £3.6m to meet the full cost.

This money would allow the club to pay off it''s debts and trade on it''s day to day income. The fans would receive, via the company, the commercial rent paid by the club.

Unfortunately the inland revenue saoon clamped down on such schemes as they would leave the way open for higher tax payers to fund country cottages and holiday homes.

This was never about funding the purchase of players, merely a means of bailing out a club that was facing crippling debts.

Ralph Ralph Ralph (much shaking of head)

I am sorry but it looks like you have read one thing and got about three other things confused.  I am not sure what scheme you are on about - your tax mitigation loop as you say was collapsed years ago and also no bank would fund at those loan to value levels.

What you are all looking at is us and the bottom end of the market (I clubbed toghether with my gf and her brother to buy 1 £1000 share in playershare), what we need to rember is that we could only afford to buy Huckerby (our best player purchased in recent memory) with the help of a third party and us fans buying shares (I have two) and even dropping money in buckets.  I have a feeling that there are many high net worth people in East Anglia (norwich has a hige catchment zone) that are not wanting to buy into the club but want to see them promoted and are willing to pay in money indirectly.

Any one that does fancy being proactive and helping the club rather than reactive and just moaning about issues please feel free to contact me ( any one who knows how to do web pages would be great).