Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

CHRIS SUTTON PETITION

Could I please advise all contributors to sign the ''Bring back Cris Sutton'' petition on the official site message board. It seems that the player wants to come for knock down wages, virtually 100% of fans want him back and also the the board would have him back.

The only person who doesnt want him back is guess who?............ Worthless.

Many, many people have signed it and if you havent already then please have a look and sign up if you agree.

Thanks

Not read anywhere that he wants to come back, or for knockdown wages. Nor have I heard Worthington say he doesn''t want him (in fact he said the complete opposite on Sky in January).

But yeah, I''d have him back for one season on wages we can afford...

Read Ruel Fox comments on Waghorns site. The only problem here is Worthington.

http://www.rickwaghorn.co.uk/full_article.asp?i=53

Talk of potential new signings inevitably leads on to the tantalising subject of Chris Sutton, with Fox''s 33-year-old friend and ex-Canary colleague as yet without a club for the new season following his release by Birmingham.

“Me and Chris don''t talk very much about football – we always play tennis or golf,” insists Fox. “I don''t know what Chris is thinking now in terms of his future. He might want to play, but on the other hand he''s at the sort of age now I was at when I decided I''d had enough.

“But I think if I was Nigel Worthington I''d ask what the situation was - something like that would really catch the imagination of the supporters. Chris is a local boy, and you never know, he might say he''d come.

“After all you''ve got to be strong in this division, and you need strong people up front – Earnshaw and Sutton – what more do you want?”

Not sure what bearing an ex-player who has nothing to do with the club has on whether or not Worthy wants Sutton...

[quote user="Charlie"]

[/quote]

Want to bet?

Washed up has-been - played conference standard football for years, came back to a real league and couldn''t cut it.

Remind me, why the hell would we want him?

Same age as current club target man Peter Thorne, but unlike Thorne has a premiership medal, was a premiership quality players and can play at centre half if required.

With cut down wages and a pay as you play contract , why not??  The biggest worry is does he have the motivation for it?? If so then I would welcome his return.

As Plan A (totally out of our price range)  and Plan B (outbid by Derby County) have failed why not...  If he is crap we can always free him, if we have given the right contract.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Herb - What are you on?, when you say

"conference standard football"  are you refering to Celtic, the

team that got to the UEFA Cup Final, knocking out two Premiership sides

(Blackburn and Liverpool) en route?......[/quote]

Yeah, must have been really difficult for a club Celtic''s size to

qualify for Europe given the hugely competitive nature of their

league...

How about last season for Birmingham? More relavent to us than European competition, lets face it.

Herb -  My comment was about the fact Celtic reached the UEFA Cup Final knocking out a couple of Premiership sides en route (despite being a "conference league side"). So you judge a player on a few games in a struggling team in a higher division do you ?, I am not advocating we sign Sutton but I suggest he would be no worse an acquistion than say the likes of Andy Hughes and Peter Thorne. 

I''m not sure I understand all this.

Are people genuinely suggesting that by signing a petition Worthington will immediately go out and sign up the players we dictate?

I wouldn''t mind Sutton returning for a season, but to suggest that the fans could influence transfer policy is simply ludicrous.

would have him back in a shot!!!

a pay as you play deal would be ideal, whenever he was fit enough to play for Birmingham he was their best player and although he wouldn''t score a load of goals he would create chances for players around him. He''s a proper team player who would also help in both boxes on set-pieces and could fill in at centre-half if needs be. BRING HIM BACK PLEASE, we''ve got nothing to lose.

[quote user="Death of Canaries"]

Are people genuinely suggesting that by signing a petition Worthington will immediately go out and sign up the players we dictate?

I wouldn''t mind Sutton returning for a season, but to suggest that the fans could influence transfer policy is simply ludicrous.

[/quote]

I''m pretty sure Death of Canaries, that the fans influenced Huckerby''s transfer.

canarychris wrote

would have him back in a shot!!!

a pay as you play deal would be ideal, whenever he was fit enough to play for Birmingham he was their best player and although he wouldn''t score a load of goals he would create chances for players around him. He''s a proper team player who would also help in both boxes on set-pieces and could fill in at centre-half if needs be. BRING HIM BACK PLEASE, we''ve got nothing to lose.

A good summary of what Sutton would bring to the team.

I would actually have thought that Huckerby''s scintillating performances, capped off by single-handedly destroying Cardiff in his final game of the loan spell, and coupled with a little gauntlet throwing from the man himself, would have influenced his signing.

But what do I know...?

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Charlie"]

[/quote]

Want to bet?
Washed up has-been - played conference standard football for years, came back to a real league and couldn''t cut it.
Remind me, why the hell would we want him?

[/quote]

Conference standard?

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Death of Canaries"]

[/quote]

I''m pretty sure Death of Canaries, that the fans influenced Huckerby''s transfer.

[/quote]

And McVeigh''s contract extension (arrived the day after the St Andrews meeting).

And for some reason we have signed up 5 youngsters instead of freeing them all as in previous years.

Good grief, are you serious? You honestly think the fans influence such things? Absolute nonsense!

How about McVeigh''s performances last season, do you not think they had anything to do with his contract being extended?

What about the obvious lack of transfer funds available this summer? Do

you not think that had an influence on the Academy players being signed

up?

Or I suppose it''s down to the fans when a player has a good game... (and undoubtedly their fault when they have a bad one).

[quote user="Death of Canaries"]Good grief, are you serious? You honestly think the fans influence such things? Absolute nonsense!

How about McVeigh''s performances last season, do you not think they had anything to do with his contract being extended?

What about the obvious lack of transfer funds available this summer? Do

you not think that had an influence on the Academy players being signed

up?

Or I suppose it''s down to the fans when a player has a good game... (and undoubtedly their fault when they have a bad one).[/quote]Only a fool would under estimate the influence of the fans!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Herb -  My comment was about the fact Celtic reached the UEFA Cup Final knocking out a couple of Premiership sides en route (despite being a "conference league side"). So you judge a player on a few games in a struggling team in a higher division do you ?, I am not advocating we sign Sutton but I suggest he would be no worse an acquistion than say the likes of Andy Hughes and Peter Thorne. [/quote]

Do you honestly expect a reply when you offered such a reasonable explanation!

In Herbs eyes Worthy is never wrong.

Getting Sutton on a free transfer makes so much sense on so many levels (unless his wage demands are silly)

As already stated he can also play central defence.

If either Doc or Shacks get injured or sent off he could switch positions.

Of course it wont happen because the majority of fans want it and it makes too much sense.

Herb, touch of the little englanders about your comment. Scottish football doesn''t deserve your scorn. I saw more passing quality football in my two visits to watch St. Mirren (who ended up champions of the Scottish first division last year) than I did at Carrow Road last year. Celtic are a massive club and Sutton was a massive player for them.

I''d be overjoyed to see Chris back on a ''pay as you play contract''. He can play just about anywhere on the park, and has the experience to back up his class. I was at the first match when he moved up from the back and I''s just love to see him finish his career properly in a yellow shirt.

Okay, give me one example of the fans of a club influencing the signing of a player.

It''s been known that they''ve influenced a manager not buying a player, as with pretty much any club who has tried to sign Lee Bowyer in recent years.  But I honestly know of no situation where a player has been signed as a result of a petition.  Prove me wrong...

Besides, there are constant posts on here about how we don''t need to buy any more strikers, and how Worthy is "stupid" for pursuing one, and yet here people are almost DEMANDING that we sign... a striker!

Sometimes, I really don''t get people on here...

[quote user="USAcanary"]

In Herbs eyes Worthy is never wrong.

[/quote]

Err no not really.  Herb has stated he thinks a change of manager would be a good thing.

D.O.C. you''re opening a whole can of worms here!!

A few fans - notably 1st Wizard and City Angel - genuinely believe that they got Huckerby signed. If you visited this board around that period of time you would have witnessed some hilarious debates.

People threatening not renew their season tickets if he wasn''t signed etc etc. You would have thought they stumped up the 750,000 pounds themselves!

Of course the sensible among us are aware that the board would have signed him anyway, and all the "vocal majority/minority" did was push the price up as Man City realised they had some bargaining power.

[quote user="Mook"]

D.O.C. you''re opening a whole can of worms here!!

A few fans - notably 1st Wizard and City Angel - genuinely believe that they got Huckerby signed. If you visited this board around that period of time you would have witnessed some hilarious debates.

People threatening not renew their season tickets if he wasn''t signed etc etc. You would have thought they stumped up the 750,000 pounds themselves!

Of course the sensible among us are aware that the board would have signed him anyway, and all the "vocal majority/minority" did was push the price up as Man City realised they had some bargaining power.

[/quote]

Oh dear.  I''ll shut up, if that''s the case. I don''t want to shatter any illusions...