Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Norwich 1, Newcastle 2

We were fairly shocking in the first half but improved in the second.

Colin at left-back and no sign of Drury, not sure why - maybe to allow Fleming to play at right-back and Colin to get some match fitness?

Goal from McVeigh.

Ref stopped match on 89 minutes as it rained - a lot, and yours truly got soaked...

Whats changed twice in the first minute the ball was played back to the keeper who launched it high and long to two small strikers.  It would appear Hunter is already in the comfort zone deciding not to take part in the pre match warm up although Glenn Roeder was out with his team.

Worthington stood chewing gum occassionally telling Leon to come back a couple of yards whilst Roeder was making notes on a large pad.

We looked woeful up front, weak in midfield but the back four didn''t look to bad and just to show that our manager hasn''t lost his touch for playing people out of position Colin played at left back well done NW what did he say this will be close to our starting line up anyone think we are in for a long hard season.

Well done to fleming , he deserved his night and was a good sport at the end. While all the fans were still sheltering in the ground, the barking mad fleming came out in the terrential rain to the centre circle, bowed to all for stands before taking his shirt off and whirling it round his head.

I hope everyone made it home safely, i have never seen rain and thunder + lightning like it. Carrow Road was underwater and i got drenched running to the car.

Shame about the result, poor first half got better (but was against a Newcastle youth team in the 2nd half) and decent sub outings from hendo and mcveigh. Hughes was awful once again and not much signs of improvement from thorne or etuhu either. Colin was the weakest link though, it doesnt take a brain surgeon to work out that leaving solano 30 yards of space with the ball is a recipe for disaster, he was always out of position and even NW noticed and was shouting. Bring back drury and send colin on the next boat to amsterdam from felixstowe.

Just home from Flem`s testimonial,  very poor  in first half, team had no balance at all, i thought Colin looked very uncomfortable at left back, i just hope he is not going to be cover if Drury gets injured.

I feel fairly sorry for Hughes, as he obviously prefers centre midfield, and looks totally out of place on right,

I thought Etuhu, had a half decent game, and Saf also looked ok with a couple of great passes.

Second half was alot better, especially with Mcveigh coming on, i really feel we need him in the team with his guile and deft touches and flicks etc.

Just hope we play a more attack minded team this season, but really cant see it.

to finish off, congrats to Flem, great servant of the club and a great guy, was great to see him come out at the end in the that rain to say thanks to the fans.  

[quote user="nik wyer"]

Just home from Flem`s testimonial,  very poor  in first half, team had no balance at all, i thought Colin looked very uncomfortable at left back, i just hope he is not going to be cover if Drury gets injured.

I feel fairly sorry for Hughes, as he obviously prefers centre midfield, and looks totally out of place on right,

I thought Etuhu, had a half decent game, and Saf also looked ok with a couple of great passes.

Second half was alot better, especially with Mcveigh coming on, i really feel we need him in the team with his guile and deft touches and flicks etc.

Just hope we play a more attack minded team this season, but really cant see it.

to finish off, congrats to Flem, great servant of the club and a great guy, was great to see him come out at the end in the that rain to say thanks to the fans.  

[/quote]

Agreed about Colin, he looked very suspect, and also with the rest, I completely agree with you.

A message to everyone though, I don''t think that we can read too much into pre-season games. Lets wait and see what happens at Leeds first before having a go!

Mcveigh made the difference when he came on.

Shout out to Carl Robinson when he came on, played really well, cracking volley from outside the box, more of the same please. Never been his biggest fan but credit where credit is due.

Hughes looked out of position and with him on the right the team look very unbalanced, he just isn''t an offensive player. For us to offer any threat in this league we need creativity on both flanks. I just don''t see what Hughes offers the team. I really want to give the guy a chance, but i''m finding it hard right now.

Unfortunatly we did rely on the hoof again, but that changed when Mcveigh came on who wanted the ball and gave us options.

Though i would say i''m concerned about this season,a the signs are there for more of the same.

Please prove me wrong

I''m back too safe and sound after a nightmare journey home in the torrential rain and lightening.

My thought on the game

First Half - very poor

Second half better but nowhere near the standard we need to be at

Hughes - very poor - let him go please!

Colin - looked out of place and uncomfortable.

New Coach - where were you  and why has nothing changed? still hoofing the ball up to little Earnie I see

Worthless - chewed gum with arms folded, shouted to Leon a couple of times - he makes me feel quesy just looking at him

Crowd - 15000 - well done everyone

Newcastle - showed us what a difference playing the ball on the floor made, some wonderful passing and a great 2nd goal.

Glen Roader - shouted and motivated , made notes and coached from the sidelines

Fleming- a legend

[quote user="DIZNAZZA HIZLOMEZ"]

Hughes... just isn''t an offensive player.

[/quote]

That''s funny, because he offends me every time he sets foot on the turf at Carrow Road...

Doesn''t sound like the best of games, but anyone who had the pleasure of actually playing in that weather last night (our 7-a-side at UEA was also abandoned about the same time the Norwich game was) would know that it wasn''t a night for football. It was a night for sitting inside, watching the impressive lightning... 

To be fair DoC, it didn''t start raining until the 80th minute or something and then the ref abandoned th egame at 89 mins - very wisely! Never seen rain like it - the word "monsoon" springs to mind.

I agree with most of the above posts - doesn''t look like much has changed. Gallacher seems to have been "got at"by the coaching staff and instead of rolling/throwing the ball short he was hoofing it upfield and giving back possession time after time (actually, at the strat of the second half I counted 12 instances of kicking it long and losing it compared to one short pass which led to the move which led to our goal)

Gallacher made a couple of cracking saves though so it''s not all doom and gloom, he just needs to play the ball short and fast - Flem offered himself for it a couple of times and Gally hesitated then decided to kick it long.

So much for the fresh approach!

Worthington and Hunter both hold top coaching badges and Roeder almost wasn''t allowed to be manager because he didn''t have the coaching qualifications as I recall.

Interesting?

i cant believe that no-one has asked why, on the testimionial night of the club captain, the new team captain just wasnt even there?

can anyone help me here - it just seems really strange

[quote user="Rossi"]

i cant believe that no-one has asked why, on the testimionial night of the club captain, the new team captain just wasnt even there?

can anyone help me here - it just seems really strange

[/quote]

sorry folks, i''ve just read tight hamstring - or was he busy trying to convince croft?