Sign in to follow this  
Delias Buns

As It Stands...

So, at this moment in time, with no signings, what would be your starting eleven come August 5th at Elland Rd? Mine would be:

Gallagher

Colin - Doherty - Shackell - Drury

McVeigh - Safri - Etuhu - Huckerby

Earnshaw - Jarvis

God, we need some signings....

To be fair, that''s not a bad line-up!

Unfortunately our squad problem lies with a lack of strength in depth, and with Worthington''s persistence in playing underperforming players regardless of form, and his ability to fall out with the better players.

How many of us believe that Colin and Jarvis will be in the starting XI in August? And maybe even McVeigh too, when you have the right wing genius of Andy Hughes. And hey, Etuhu in midfield ahead of Robinson? Never...

The line up should be:

Gallacher; Spillane, Doherty, Shackell, Drury; McVeigh, Etuhu, Safri, Huckerby; McKenzie, Earnshaw.

The line up will probably be:

Gallacher; Fleming, Doherty, Shackell, Drury; Hughes, Robinson, Safri, Huckerby; McKenzie, Earnshaw.

As we can all see, Worthy''s wonders have a distinct lack of pace and passing ability on the right and a dead duck in the middle of the park. To us, the answer is to bring in Etuhu for Robinson, McVeigh for Hughes, and Spillane or Colin for Fleming. But then, none of those are among his favourites so it won''t happen.

When you look at this team ............... we have no chance so lets be REAL! Promotion ........... keep on dreaming and just hope that Wolves make Mr Worthington an offer he just can''t turn down.

No new players, no ambition ................... I just can''t wait for the season to start!!

Death of Canary, who else are we to play in right back? an injured louis jean? an out of position Craig Fleming? we have to give Jurgen a go this season, he''s our only fit right back. Also, we need McVeigh attacking the right wing like Hucks will, we cant have clapping Hughes watching the game going nowt, and finally, Etuhu is 10 times the player Robinson is, and also has age on his side.

I know Worthless will probably go against everything i say, but once again it really goes to prove how desperate we are for a target man, a right winger and a right back.

I have a feeling DoC was being sarcastic.

All your points are 100% correct. The only query I would have is whether we go with Colin or Spillane at right back. I know Spillane isn''t as natural a right back as Colin but it would be nice to be positive and start with our most promising youngster as a first choice starter. (Unless we can sign Carlos Edwards!)

[quote user="Stortford Canary"]

Etuhu is 10 times the player Robinson is.

[/quote]

What on earth do you base this on............................ 

Dickson Etuhu was the WORST PLAYER BY SOME MARGIN in a canary shirt last season.....  He had the worst loan spell of any player I have ever seen, he was worse than even Trevor Benjamin.

I wasn''t disagreeing with your line-up, Stortford, I just don''t believe Worthy will go with the option that is best for the team and stick with his mates.

Dickson Etuhu was the WORST PLAYER BY SOME MARGIN in a canary shirt last season.....  He had the worst loan spell of any player I have ever seen, he was worse than even Trevor Benjamin.

Etuhu''s loan spell was awful but by the end of the season he was playing much better and looking like the player we thought we were getting in the first place. In this division someone of his size and power can be hugely effective, and now he''s settled and utilising his attributes he can be a real positive.

I don''t think I''m alone in liking Etuhu and considering that, although slight question marks remain, he is a much better player now than the one that joined us on loan. In fact I think you may be in the minority on this one Paul.

Dickson Etuhu was the WORST PLAYER BY SOME MARGIN in a canary shirt last season..... 

He did have a bad loan spell but at the back end of the season he was one of our best players. I for one was pleased when we initially got him as I rated him at Preston and although he was poor to start with he''d hardly had a game all year before he came to us, so is it so hard to believe that he needed a settling in period? I think he could well be a star for us next year, although because of how he started for us there is still a question mark. He''s nowhere near as ineffective as Hughes or Robinson though, and I''m pretty sure I''m in the majority on that one. 

Paul, did you go to many games? Etuhu started off very badly, I''ll give you that. However, he improved a lot towards the end of the season so much that I now have confidence he will go on & become a crowd favourite! In my book he is our best central midfield player. (excluding a fit Safri of course)

My team would be;

Gallagher

Spillane, The Doc, Shackell, Drury

McVeigh, Safri, Etuhu, Hucks

Earnie, McKenzie

Bench; lewis, Jarvis, Jarvis, Robinson, Hughes, Fleming

[quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="Stortford Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Slightly harsh, Paul. Try having a reasoned and objective view on a topic... you never know, you might like it... There were far worse players than Etuhu who retained their places every week!

2 points to make, first of all, apologies to D o C, i was referring to what the team should be, where as you were to reffering to the probable line up, i think we are both correct in our opinions.

Secondly, Paul, to say that Dickson Etuhu was our worst player last term is ludicrous! what are you basing this on? he had a pootr start, yeah, but he started to come good as the season ended, which leads me to believe he will start where he left off last season.

OTBC

[quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="Stortford Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Have you not heard of Andy Hughes? had 35 starts and still looks completely incompetent, compared to etuhu''s 11 starts and has actually shown signs of improvement. Is it really fair to brand him the worst player, No.

Etuhu and Robinson are both Shocking!

Robinson goes missing in games.. i remember watching Derby away last season honsetly thinking he''d been subbed only for him to appear and blast a free kick of the ankle of someone towards the end. he cant tackle, cant pass, doesnt run, when the balls in his arear of the field he is never the first one to get it.. infact he never gets it at all!

I think it says all that needs to be said that we are the only club to have ever paid a transfer fee for him... he isnt even 30 and has had nearly a dozen clubs already.. including the "super powers" of Wrexham who also released him on a free!

Etuhu, apart from his assist vs Leicester what meaningful contribution has he made for us? He is capable of passing the ball, i''ll give him that but he isnt Damien Francis, who could head, run, tackle, dribble well and score goals.

Etuhu mis-times tackles regularly to the point that im starting to think he does it on purpose! when he has the ball he invariably dwells on it and loses it, and then doesnt seem to want to get it back.. he''s only interested when the balls within 5 yards of him or when he can rake his studs down someones calves.. uncoordinated, lumbering and an accident waiting to happen.

A midfield 2 of "Desmond" and Robinson would be horrible to watch...

jas :)