Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Vote of confidence for Worthy [:p]

Doncaster said today regarding Wolves wanting Worthy:

“It''s news to me. We haven''t had contact from any club about Nigel and we aren''t expecting any.”

The not expecting any contact for Nigel comment did make me laugh.  Hardly a "keep your hands off our bright, young manager" and more of a "no-one will want him" [:p] 

When speaking ND a while back, he said that Worthington would "walk into any Championship club if he became available because of his proven track record [!!!]". I couldn''t believe my ears when he said this, which if true, shows what [blind] faith the board have in this man.

But as no club has come in for him, It shows that i''m much closer to being right than Doncaster is...

Once the Board sees sense and gets shot Worthington will never manage at this level again , he could not cut the mustard at Blackpool and at Norwich he is proving that he is no more than a clown who got lucky loaning Huckerby.

Where was our team when he fluked upon the Huckerby loan deal - 12th perhaps, after spending a million in his first full seaosn and making the play-offs we just went backwards and further backwards until this lucky break.  You would think we wouldnt look back after that - but no.....

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

Where was our team when he fluked upon the Huckerby loan deal - 12th perhaps, after spending a million in his first full seaosn and making the play-offs we just went backwards and further backwards until this lucky break.  You would think we wouldnt look back after that - but no.....

[/quote]

It''s funny how at the end of that season most deemed the triple loan signing as a "stroke of genius" and now it is just a "fluke".  Was the signing of Crouch and Harper a fluke?  What about Leon and Svensson who played just an important a role as Hux.  Leon with 9 goals in 18 (6 as sub) and Svensson with his knack of scoring winning goals.  Was the signing of Francis a fluke?  What about Edworthy and Cooper, both flukes? 

Of the 11 players Worthington brought in that year only Elvis Hammond and Brennan had little or no impact on the outcome of that season.  9 out of 11 players doing the business is one hell of a fluke.

Also what about him getting Hux here in the first place?  I remember Hux saying after his loan at Forest that he was only prepared to drop down a division because Nottingham is his home town.  No credit for Worthy for agreeing a loan, persuading Hux to sign on loan then permanently.  What about Worthy pushing the board to find the cash to buy Huckerby?  We did not have £750k yet he managed to convince the board that he would get promoted if they signed Hux.

I think it''s time for a change but lets give the man credit for what he has done.  This is just like a five year taking their toys back. 

One final point, you will not find anyone in professional football that would agree that any team can win a league competition based just upon a fluke or luck.

You are absolutely right Saint, normally I happily give worthy credit for what he has achaived.  However the ease with which he let some of the players you list leave, how he didnt pick up others permanently on promotion, and the way many were ignored just makes me wonder a little.

I have used the term before, I feel worthy shot his load in getting us promoted - he overacheived, as it has been poor decision after poor decision ever since.