Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Premier managers wary of sending players to Norwich - new signings put off by protests

In my opinion we won''t get too many loan signings from Premiership clubs because with the exception of Davenport and Marney they hardly got a chance to play under Worthy.  I still cannot understand why Rehman and Johannson didn''t get to play regularly when we presumably signed them to make a push for the play offs.  Premier managers are probably wary now of sending out the players to get games under their belt, when all Worthy does is either drop them completely or give them ten minutes at the end.

Secondly I feel that some players may be put off signing for Norwich after seeing the protests to try and get Worthy removed at the end of last season.   Whether others agree with me or not our style of football last season which was predominantly hoofing the ball up front which is not what the majority of Norwich supporters want to see.  We have always been called a good footballing side who like to pass the ball around and entertain, but that was not the case towards the end of last season. 

I know the board are saying that the prices clubs are asking for their players is too high, but I also think the Worthy factor may be playing some part in why we are not seeing any fresh faces.

If the squad is too small, and our''s has been, you clearly need to strenghten (enlarge) it. Outside the window periods, it can only be by loan.

In essence then loan players are for three reasons: (all of them apply to NCFC?)

1) We lack the finances to make permanent signings - they require wages but no "capital" outlay, or transfers are not possible

2) We need a larger squad  "in case..." (injuries, international calls, etc.), especially for positions where we have no cover.

3) We are short of skills, and young Premiership players may provide that - Bentley, for instance

So why do many of them become "bench warmers" as you suggest? Perhaps because the position they are covering proves not to need covering (eg Safri survives uninjured for 20 matches!), perhaps because their motivation is lacking, or perhaps they just lack the skills we thought they had (- Rehman started well, but could not maintain it), perhaps we had been misinformed on their qualitites or perhaps we had been over-desperate!

I think that one or two have been panic acquisitions - it''s September, no more transfers, we need....., and what if xxx should be injured? Let''s get into the loan market PDQ!

The contribution of Worthington is difficult to assess, perhaps Premiership players may happily consign themselves to reserve team football, rather than play regularly in a a team performing badly and with many supporters directing criticism (rightly?) at an under-performing manager.

I would imagine that clubs are quite happy just to get some of their squad off the wage bill for a while, the protests won''t alter many players thinking. In fact outside of Norfolk I doubt many others are aware and after all they''re nothing new