Sign in to follow this  
FatMan Fat

Do we want Sunderland to win tonight?

In a perverse way I would like Sunderland to win tonight, then we wouldn''y have to celebrate promotion in a surreal way i.e. not at a match. If they did win the most they could get is 86 points, so WHEN we win against Watford we would still be promoted and that would be a proper party!!
Then again perhaps I should stop being perverse :-P

But what we''re forgetting is that Sunderland play again before us, away to Wigan at 12.30 on Saturday. So if Sunderland do beat Palace, there will be the same situation for this game, if Sunderland don''t win it we go up.

If Sunderland do beat Palace tonight, we should all make the effort to go down early and get in a pub for the game - it will still be weird though, winning promotion while in a pub in Watford.

I do agree with you in a way Fatman. After such a wondeful season it might be a bit anti-climatic getting promoted without kicking a ball. But never mind. In years to come we''ll remember the wonderful season we''ve had rather than the night we got promoted.

I would like to have it all confirmed on Saturday. At least then those of us who aren''t living in a hotbed of City support (ie Chelmsford) will get to celebrate the main thing with others.

I would ideally like to win promotion on saturday by beating Watford ,as i have a ticket and will be there, then the title 7 days later at home against Preston then it couldnt be said that we only got up because somebody elses results .Two times to celebrate OTBC.

But don''t we want Palace to win tonight to maintain the pressure on Ipswich and the play off places. We DO NOT WANT In-bred-swich to go up via the play offs so the onus is on those teams just outside the play offs to really get in there and hope Ipswich have a bad last few games. I for one, am happy for Palace to win and seal Norwich''s fate. Like another message, Sunderland play again Saturday before Norwich so we may still go up before the Watford game.

Just a thought.....

The answer has got to be YES. I still have the recurring nightmare that Norwich lose all their remaining games and Sunderland and West Brom wins their''s. Let''s get it in the bag asap unless, of course, you really want some excitment and we delay winning promotion (or losing it) until the Crewe game.

We only need one win to go up, so given my soft spot for the Mackems I would like to see them win all of their games and go up in 2nd place, with the Baggies going up via the play offs.

I just want to be sure of promotion - i dont care how it''s done - as worthy says lets concentrate on us - we need 2 points for certainty or one point assuming our goal difference holds up. if we do it tonight by default then i will be celebrating for sure, and again on saturday and again at the preston, sunderland and crewe games.

of course we don''t want them to win, what a stupid question. I love the ''without kicking a ball'' line, we have won promotion by playing 42 bloody games! We want to be promoted as soon as possible so that we can concentrate on winning the league. Sunderland are better than the scummers and will knock them out of the play offs anyway. Come on Palace, send us up tonight.

I think that we should take guaranteed promotion as early as possible, hopefully tonight around 9.30 pm, we''ll then go on to celebrate at every game home or away for the rest of the season just as maniacally and more than the last few home games have been. We''ve still got the Championship to worry about, nobody other than baggies fans wants a team led by Geoff Hors''n''Cart rather than HCUK to win the league.

Listening to Worthy and the players who have been interviewed in the past few days it is clear that they want it done and dusted asap so that they can start thinking about winning the title and, presumably, can start planning in earnest for next season. (Having just written that last line I have just had to read it through several times and really think about what it means. I don''t think, in all honesty, it has sunk in yet for me just what an ENORMOUS achievement promotion will be). Much as I like Sunderland for many different reasons, just for tonight I shall quietly wish Palace well so Worthy and co. can have their wish and focus on even higher things. As I shall be out in public at FCR tonight I think I had better go and see if I have any waterproof mascara lurking somewhere in a drawer, just in case!!!

get it over with asap, so watord can be the start of the title challenging games. there would be no nerves (i know there''s not a lot now but it makes it easier) and they could really show what norwich are all about. watford had a good result last night, beating millwall 2-1 away so it will be tough, but the same team as the walsall game should tear them apart.
OTBC!

Susie B, you are right. It really hasn''t sunk in yet for me.

Probably won''t until we get the fixture list.

Awesome really when you think about what it means.

cash, match of the day, mentions on national media, asia tv exposure, sell out crowds, world class players at FCR (oops already got them!!)

Yep - lets get it done and dusted - Sunderland to lose or draw tonight please.

Palace will be well up for it as Sheff/Millwall/West Ham/Wigan are now in sight for them.

Sunderland have just lost two on the spin without scoring but need to consolidate their playoff place.

I think a draw is on the cards and that''ll do for me.

I agree that if we do go up tonight, we should be more relaxed for our last 4 games. Then we''ll see how much we really want the title. We''ll either play ultra free flowing Brazilian style and wipe all before us, or collapse in a heap that the main job is done.

If Sunderland do win tonight and against Wigan, then I still think we''ll get the (mathematical)point we need either against Watford or Preston.

Time to party on dudes!