Sign in to follow this  
GJD

Why do you support Norwich?

My Uncle, brother in –law and I were talking about Chelsea buying every player under the sun over the weekend and it occurred to me would us Norwich fans be happy if we were in the same situation?

My feeling is that I would not like to have those resources available to Norwich. Why you well may ask

Well I guess it goes back to my golden view of football and sport in general. I want us to win every game, but for me Chelsea are just buying the league and maybe this year the Champions league with the best teams in Italy not playing in it now.

They are not a football team any more to me, but rather a rich mans play thing. He has made billions and is now trying to corner another market to boast the ego. Sure Chelsea fans have celebrated the wins, but deep down do they not feel like a rich mans toy? Do they feel that Chelsea is their club anymore? Many can’t afford to go from the old days, or so we are told from Radio phone ins.

If Arsenal had one the champion’s league title, and admittedly they are not a small club, but their manager I respect (apart from his eyesight) has built a team of youngsters who play in a way that is exciting to watch. I would be a happy gunner.

Wenger has built a team that plays sometimes sublime football and with talent that most people did not recognise when he bought them.

Now in all likelihood we are never going to reach Chelsea spending power or be so lucky to have a manager like Wenger.

However, for me if Norwich play with some skill, some determination and every three games make me come away proud to be a supporter of my club, then that is enough for me whatever league we are in…

I guess what I am asking is what would make you happy being a Norwich fan?

For me its being part of a band of brothers at away days, watching some good football and occasionally starting to believe the dream! I have had great days following our team, great times with friends going to games, but alas more bad results than good.

Still would never change the team I support.

Little Norwich mentality? Well maybe, but how about you? What would make you happy?

I support Norwich because this is where I am from. Simple as that. Norwich chose me. I was lucky enough to grow up in the 80s watching Norwich play consistantly at the highest level. And while today the quality of football falls well short of those halcyon years, I still love attending Carrow Road and getting behind the team. It''s our team. It''s my team. For better or worse. I just wished the players showed as much passion and pride as us fans.As for where Norwich City fit in English football. As you say, sadly money talks. Today football clubs buy their status, not earn it. Chelsea are not unusual in that respect. We all remember Blackburn buying the Premiership too.But it''s the smaller clubs, comparable to City, that we have to be concerned about. Clubs like Fulham, Middlesborough, and Wigan to name a few. All owe their top

flight status more to their big money backers, not the talent of their

manager and hard work of the players. Take away their cash and they would be in freefall.  All have poor attendance records. They are simply their owner''s plaything.No club in the world can compete with Chelsea in the transfer market. And increasingly, on the pitch too. Chelsea have become the ultimate expression of a Premiership & Champions League designed to benefit the wealthiest clubs. As no club is wealthier than Chelsea, they should always win the league. It''s capitalism at it''s worst.GJD - By the way, you say you would be a happy gunner. Have you seen their new season ticket prices? The cheapest is £885. Half way line seats are £4750!

i would love to have a russian billionaire. spending lots of money on norwich city f.c. think of the fun. it may only be for a short time but id take it. it may be narrow minded but i dont care.

anyone now a russian billionaire.

For me it is a civic thing.

I hate it when clubs move well away from their traditional grounds and Norwich are situated a nice stroll from the City centre.

Because it is a civic thing I get very upset when I see rifts between Club and supporters. The Club is the supporters and I suspect this might be the thing you feel Chelsea have lost.

It will be interesting to see how Arsenal fans will take to their class structured new stadium when the old Highbury was so egalitarian.

The way i am came about supporting Norwich City is a unusual one.

I was born just out of Cardiff and have lived there all my life to date.

When i was young i loved football, but i just didn''t know who to support.. i always got to see Cardiff play, so they were my best bet.

But then i went on Holiday to Norfolk, and it changed my view completely.

The football was so much better, the fans were more vocal, and faithful. The City was just beautiful.

And when i got home, i managed to watch them play on T.V - And have supported them ever since!

And i will probably be looking for house properties in Norfolk within the next 2-3 years..

Anyway, and as to the Chelsea thing, No i wouldn''t want that much money here at Carrow Road. I think it would destroy us as a Football club, and community.

If we didn''t earn our way up, then i wouldn''t want us there.

Nath :)

[quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."]

Because they are the greatest team the world has ever seen....

and my Dad was a NCFC supporter. He basically brainwashed me into yellow and green before I knew any better....

[/quote] ''''and my Dad was a NCFC supporter. He basically brainwashed me into yellow and green before I knew any better....'''' You make it sound like it''s a bad thing?! LOL

I support Norwich City because, in a nutshell, its where I was born, raised and currently still live.....

My Dad is a gooner, so that was my initial destiny, but as we lived in the area, the club I was most likely to actually watch regularly was always gonna be City. Then when my parents parted, my Norwich supporting uncle jumped in and took me watch the Canaries - my first game being a 6-1 victory over Watford in 1984.

My children will also grow up watching and supporting City - or they''re out the house!!!!!!

Where are the signings??

My dad took me to carrow road in the 70''s when i was about 8 and i have supported them ever since, and being your local club i can''t for the life of me understand anyone not supporting there local team but that''s another subject .

[quote user="nh_ncfc"][quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."]

Because they are the greatest team the world has ever seen....

and my Dad was a NCFC supporter. He basically brainwashed me into yellow and green before I knew any better....

[/quote] ''''and my Dad was a NCFC supporter. He basically brainwashed me into yellow and green before I knew any better....'''' You make it sound like it''s a bad thing?! LOL[/quote]

:-)

It was good thing. Left to my own devices I would have probably ended up supporting Liverpool or Spurs as they were the big teams in my school.

I dont think anything could beat the pleasure of watching us storm the 1st Division with Huxs in full flight.... happy days.

I was born in Telford, near Birmingham, to parents who don''t follow football, and surrounded by family who supported either Wolves or West Brom.

Luckily, we managed to escape to Norfolk at an early age, but my brother and I were still left to discover football on our own.

I had a mate when I was younger who was totally football crazy, and it was he who I can officially credit with getting me supporting Norwich City around about the start of the 90''s.  Just in time to see us finish 3rd in the league and play in Europe. [:)]

Didn''t get to see my first match, however, until the age of about 15, mainly because I never had anyone to go with and had to wait until I was old enough to go on my own.  It was Vs Oxford, when they were bottom of the league and about to go under financially.  They beat us 3-1! [:S]

On the general subject, however, of why I support City, I can''t really tell.  It''s just a number of things and it''s a bond that I doubt will ever be broken.

And would I rather have money and win everything but play like Bolton? Not on your nelly! I appreciate a good passing game, and the comments about Arsenal earlier are perfectly fair! Though I think that perhaps Liverpool and even Manure are starting to rediscover the "beautiful game" these days as well.

I''m not sure I''d sacrifice a higher league position and success for a passing game, but I wouldn''t want to "buy" it either...

i support norwich city because i was born and bred in norwich, and my mum and dad first took me to watch them in the early 1970,s i fell in love with the club from my first visit, and have seen the club go from strength to strength over the years and i am proud to be a norwich city fan, and i will always support them come what may, i don,t get to see as many games as i would like, as i now reside in south wales, but i should be able to get to at least a dozen games this season with my  hat trick games and a few selected games when i shall queue up for a buy back ticket, ot.b.c.