Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Internal Unrest at Carrow Road?

Reports of possible internal unrest at Carrow Road:

I am unable to reveal my sources for the sake of the source and the player involved, however, not even current players are really happy with Worthington.

My source was speaking to a player who is high in the popularity charts at Carrow Road, and discussion got round to the player''s impressions.

Asked about his thoughts about the Steve Foley dismissal, the player used a popular phrase to suggest that it has been far too little action to try to resolve the current crisis.

The full article can be found here:

http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=23978

I find that really hard to believe.  If he had lost a lot of support from the players he would have gone by now or lots of players would be handing in requests to leave.  I can''t think of any manager that has lost the dressing room and stayed in his job for very long.  It''s easier to rid of one man than sell (for a fee) and replace half of a squad.

Can I just point out that Jason Shackell has just signed a 2 year extension to his contract ?  You don''t get that second hand off a site that nails its colours to the Worthy Out brigades'' mast, you can get that from BBC Sport.  Must be so bad working under the conditions that these players have to face, they''re queueing up for more !

Yet more anti club spin from our gossip on commission friends at vital Norwich.

Sorry Pete ! :)

In my defense, they were listed on the newsnow feed, I must have missed your entry.

My point still stands, it''s a news item, not gossip on commission... :)

I''ve read the article and it doesn''t really say a great deal.  It may be that this "popular player" just got on well with Foley and was sticking up for a mate, and it might also be that he is alone in this thought.  It certainly doesn''t amount to ''internal unrest'', just someone voicing an opinion.

It surely has to be said that none of the happenings on the playing side of things suggest Worthy has lost the dressing room, indeed it does seem to be quite the opposite: this close season we have had a procession of players signing either new or extended contracts, or signing pro forms (and WLY also signed an extension before the season ended). 

If things were so badly wrong, why would they? Footballers are not exactly renowned for having a sense of loyalty/sentimentality, so surely they would be looking for the first opportunity out of things.  But no - we have Shacks who was supposedly unhappy at his treatment last season (more rumour) perfectly happy to sign a 2-year extension, Gallacher who could easily have gone doing the same, WLY signing an extension, Hucks who could walk into any Championship side wanting to see his career out here....and so on. 

C''mom credit where it''s due. This was from an up to the minute site.

No pictures of players who have long since left the club for these folk.

Not so much ''On the ball''  as ''On the button''

Hats off to them and all who read their site..

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I''ve read the article and it doesn''t really say a great deal.  It may be that this "popular player" just got on well with Foley and was sticking up for a mate, and it might also be that he is alone in this thought.  It certainly doesn''t amount to ''internal unrest'', just someone voicing an opinion.

It surely has to be said that none of the happenings on the playing side of things suggest Worthy has lost the dressing room, indeed it does seem to be quite the opposite: this close season we have had a procession of players signing either new or extended contracts, or signing pro forms (and WLY also signed an extension before the season ended). 

If things were so badly wrong, why would they? Footballers are not exactly renowned for having a sense of loyalty/sentimentality, so surely they would be looking for the first opportunity out of things.  But no - we have Shacks who was supposedly unhappy at his treatment last season (more rumour) perfectly happy to sign a 2-year extension, Gallacher who could easily have gone doing the same, WLY signing an extension, Hucks who could walk into any Championship side wanting to see his career out here....and so on. 

[/quote]

Just a point Pickle but the club had a one year option on WLY''s contract and they took that option.  It''s my understanding that he did not have a choice.  Your point is valid though that if there was such unrest then players would be leaving and they are not.

Anyone can write such articles - *ahem*

A mate of mine is a friend with one of the senior members of the first team squad, he was his best man at his wedding and the god-parent of his children. This senior player told him that the players are 100% behind Worthington. When they got back to pre-season training they had a get together and admitted that they failed to implement Nigel’s tactics last season. Despite asking them to play it on the deck they didn''t do it. They felt that the pressure got to them last season and panicked on the ball a lot, which resulted in so many long-balls being played.

The players are very happy with the appointment of Hunter and they think he is 5 times the coach Foley was. Apparently Foley was more interested in being one of the "boys" rather than introducing discipline to the team and he ultimately lost respect. Following the introduction if Hunter the players feel 100% confident of success this year under Worthington.

Obviously I cannot name this senior players name as I would not want to betray my friend but suffice to say this straight from the mouth of one the fans most respected players.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]

C''mom credit where it''s due. This was from an up to the minute site.

[/quote]The first line in that story says it all:"I am unable to reveal my sources"''Nuff said.I could run an "up to the minute" site if I just made stuff up.

I haven''t a clue what the players think of the manager.  At a guess I''d say most of them think he''s a top bloke when he picks them and an arsehole when he doesn''t.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

I haven''t a clue what the players think of the manager.  At a guess I''d say most of them think he''s a top bloke when he picks them and an arsehole when he doesn''t.

[/quote]What a most excellent analogy Mr Megson.......

I personally would suggest that Shackell is not as good as you seem to assume he is, and is not going to get a better deal at another club, so why would he move away when he is virtually guaranteed first team football because of the desperate lack of cover? 

I would also suggest that Nigel Worthington lost the dressing room early last season, as the lack of spirit on the pitch demonstrated throughout the season.  However, no player in a situation where the manager has the backing of the board, to the level of insanity currently being demonstrated, is ever going to put his head over the parapet! 

Interesting to note that the players who left suggested things were not as rosy as people claim.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Can I just point out that Jason Shackell has just signed a 2 year extension to his contract ?  You don''t get that second hand off a site that nails its colours to the Worthy Out brigades'' mast, you can get that from BBC Sport.  Must be so bad working under the conditions that these players have to face, they''re queueing up for more !

Yet more anti club spin from our gossip on commission friends at vital Norwich.

[/quote]

"You spin me right round, baby, right round, like a record baby, round round, right round..." [8]

Come on, how many of us on here complain when the latest piece of spin spews forth from Doomcaster, yet some of us are up to far worse!

Let''s not succumb to speculation and rumour... just the fax, ma''am...

I have been told, by a friend who was working close to one of the younger squad members and he said that Foley was one of the guys that has been tolding it all together over the last season.

Make of that what you will, but thats what he said.

SL

What complete and utter mischief making - let''s all try and stir up trouble and get more negativity going, for no real reason.  Nothing like getting behind the team, eh?

Longy wrote the following post at 18/07/2006 8:47 AM:

I have been told, by a friend who was working close to one of the younger squad members and he said that Foley was one of the guys that has been tolding it all together over the last season.

Make of that what you will, but thats what he said

Kid''s never like it hard and are prone to hang their heads and wait for someone to say "there there, never mind.  From what I''ve heard, Foley wanted to be best pals with everybody.  A good coach and a good instructor is not looking to be best pals with everybody, it''s he who sets an example of no nonsense, setting goals of maximum achievement for each athlete according to the ability of the individual. Slackers are never never encouraged they are got rid of by good coaches.