Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Who wants an aging target man?

I notice we''ve put in a bid for Steve Howard of Luton, a 30 year old target man. Seems perfect for our long ball system.

Go for it Nige!

(Hang on a minute....don''t)

Not me.

Whatever happened to "young and hungry" eh Nige. Just shows the ambition of the club right now. He might do for a season in the championship, but aren''t we looking to be promoted? Probably not. Lets get someone in who we can develop into an even better player.

Yes, but we got rid of him!!

That was a big mistake.

A new manager please before he brings in more ageing players.  To get rid of Iwan for another ageing one is typical of him. 

Is it me or are lots of posters "Johnny Come Lately''s"? Have you all forgotten the signing of one Iwan Roberts?! He wasn''t exactly a spring chicken when he was signed was he! And he went on to score 96 goals for us! I''ll say it again to ensure it registers in the minds of posters, Roberts, an aging slow target man who never played at the highest level for any length of time, scored 96 goals for us! And do you know, only two other strikers in the history of Norwich have scored more than 96 goals for us? Probably not, as you don''t seem to remember anything before our Championship winning season, when we were pretty hopeless for years.

As for wanting to get someone young in - aside from turning to non-league football (which does actually really grate with me that we NEVER seem to pick up any young guy from non-league football and turn him into a star) any young guy with potential immediately has a huge price tag attached to him. Cameron Jermone anyone? One decent season, and he''s worth £3 million! It cost us the same just to get Dean Ashton - another up and coming young striker. Money we simply don''t have. So given the constraints of our budget, Howard might be the best we can get. And if he achieves half of what Iwan did for us, it''ll turn out to be money well spent. I don''t think we should knock the manager for going for Howard - if he has no money - who would you buy?!

Of course, Howard could turn out to be Peter Thorne mark II, but then again, anyone we sign could.

you lot forget that we are a championship side and not a club that and go and spend tons on one player we have to have whats there for the buget we have so would you rather have worthless spend 2 million on hulse for a player only a few years younger and scored less goals than howard.

What happened to all this seasons parachute money ? or last seasons come to that  , every other club that gets promoted  manage to strengthen the team, City ended up with players like Peter Thorne , Jason Jarrett ,Andy Hughes , Carl Robinson ....we got promotion and its set us back 20 years  utter utter crap at this club now and its all down to Worthy and a weak Board .

He is exactly what we need to get out of this division , when

ever ive seen him play he has been very effective holds the ball up

well and scores his fair share of goals 15 last season . This would be

his last throw of the dice  to play at the  highest

level  so he should be hungry in some respects , i would except

him if the price was right OTBC

Also, strikers are not our main priority at the moment, although having a target man would be useful, so its wise not to spend too much on them which then allows us to strengthen other areas.

It is quite amazing that people seem to think that 30 is old - jeez, I''m 36 so where does that leave me? I was always under the impression that late 20''s into the early 30s was the ideal age for a footballer - and we didn''t sign Iwan or Hucks (and plenty more besides) until they were in that age range but not many are complaining about them now.  If age is all we can criticise Howard on, at 30, that is pretty lame: imo he is a good striker and has proved that he can hack it at this level - end of story. 

I can just imagine us trying to pull off a transfer coup of great players like van Nistelrooy (30 yesterday) Henry (soon to be 29), Zidane (recently 34)....I could go on....but these being dismissed on the grounds of age. 

It does seem to me that whoever we are linked with there are people who will criticise from just about any standpoint whether they actually know anything much about a player or not, which is just bizarre.....and just about any player moving anywhere else is "another we''ve missed out on" whether or not they are a player we want/need. 

I think he would be a decent signing- Big strong, scores goals.  We have to get a sense of reality back, as worthless has changed us into a mid table team and he finds it impossible to find good players from the lower divisions we are going to be signing the likes of Howard and Asaba.

I feel steve howard would be a great signing. Him and Earnshaw up front together have the ability for 40+ goals between them in a season. If worthy signed a 20 year, fans would moan he was to yuong and in experienced. He will never be able to win whoever he signed.

So he is 30 and has just scored 15 goals in the championship. Where has he been for the last 10 years? Iwan had been a goalscorer at this level for a number of seasons at different clubs. And when we signed him he was the best that we could afford. And weren''t we playing to 10,000 crowds and crippled by debt in those days?

Now we have just been in the premiership and have 20,000+ season tickets and financial security. Yet it seems we are still no more able to buy young , talented players than we were then.

Unfortunately, the lack of ambition shown by the club is being matched by a large number of fans. You can add Horsfield and Ferguson as other players who are too old for us.

Young and Hungry?

Young and Hungry?

Young and Hungry?

We need players who have the potential to become better layers, hopefully in the premiership. Nigel''s "young and hungry" is spot on. As of yet, he is yet to put it into practice, and it doesn''t look like he will be starting any time soon. Confused [8-)]

All I''m saying is that we''ve just let a 30 year old target man go for nothing...on the FREE.  So why buy another one?

Peter Thorne scored a great deal more goals at this level than Howard

has, in fact, didn''t Thorne end up top scorer in the Championship

recently? (2003/4 season?)

30 isn''t old in my book (I''m 32), but I just think to get back in the

Premiership, we should be looking to develop some of our younger

players who never seem to get a run in the team or buy a few promising

younsters from lower divisions.

Ryan Jarvis came on against Liverpool in the Premeirship, scored a wonder goal and we''ve never seen him again since!

The age of a player doesn''t really bother me aslong as that player can perform well. (Iwan did.) - However, the older the age decreased the amount i''d pay for him.

[quote user="EddieYellow"]

And weren''t we playing to 10,000 crowds and crippled by debt in those days?

[/quote]I don''t think so. Even at the depths of the Chase nightmare the home league crowds held up around the 13,000 mark if I remember correctly.