Sign in to follow this  
dr livingstone

do we know why ?

mr worthington has bid  £ 400k for steve howard from luton.

and is suposed to be interested in signing carl asaba from millwall. arnt they both 30 somthings who have never played top flight football ?

chris sutton a local man played for city in the past wants to play for city again said to be not to interested in the money, as has made loads in the past.

also thirtysomthing but has played top flight football, has prem winners medal, a number of scottish championship winners medals, england caps aswell.

i know who is the better player. i know who i would rather see at carrow road.

who would you like to see ?

he made an enquriy.. not a bid.. and if he did make a bid then how come £200,000 for Chadwick is "too much"?

jas :)

Jeez, what is it about Howard''s age that is getting everyone''s knickers in a twist? He was 30 in May, so is hardly a "30 something", and it makes him a good 3 years + younger than Sutton, suggesting he could have several seasons (a la Iwan) before being over the hill (....and who was it who suddenly decreed that 30 was ancient anyway?!?).  His recent record is good, and he doesn''t appear to be injury prone; coming from a Championship side he knows what it is all about and wouldn''t cost as much salary-wise - so just what is the problem??

Sutton would presumably cost more in wages, which would at least partially offset any transfer fee (free transfers never are free, you pay signing on fees etc) so £cost may be a red herring; the thing for me is that he has been injury prone in recent seasons which would cost us big-time if it happened here (and remember the last few seasons have been bad for injuries); also he was never the fastest out of the blocks so is presumably slower now.  Of course he is a City lad and was great player in his day, but we need something more than he might be able to give.

The question was: who would you like to see (of the two): for me it is close but the honest answer is Howard.  I don''t suppose we will actually get either, though. 

i''d take howard in preference to Sutton anyday.

And this writing-off players at 30 is nonsense. You probably only get 2-3 out of a player before they move on anyway so i doubt we''ll be paying his pension.

Howard can do a job in the championship and that''s all we should be interested in.

To be perfectly honest, there are some posters on this board at the moment who would find something to moan about if we signed Shevchenko, Ronaldinho, Buffon, Gattuso & Henry!  Worthington, right at the moment, is damned if he does and damned if he doesn''t.

Chris Sutton is "Not too interested in the money"??? Just ask the Birmingham fans for their opinion on that.

This is another point of no relevence. We need players here to fight for the team, not here to retire on the "Costa Del Norwich" with their family around them etc etc.

To reply to damned if he does damned if he doesnt statement............just damned will suffice.  The bloke is a joke, no idea, no direction, no chance of adding quality to a very poor squad. Besides signing the above will make no difference if they are not getting the service.

If the only concern about howard is his age then we should sign him.  At 30 he is likely to have at least 2 good seasons left in him which is the typical length of contract.   He did well for Luton at this level last year ad plays his style of football effectively at this level.   We are not a prem team and, of his ilk, he would be a good signing, even more so when you realise just how few target men are available.  If we get promoted he would need replacing but that would be a nice decision to have to make 

Whether we need a target man or yet another striker is more the issue - if we do, and I am far from convinced of that - then any new striker SHOULD be a target man as its the one possible gap in our attacking line up.  £400k seems a reasoable risk to me. 

I would have more of an issue about Asaba - at 33 he really is nearing the end of his career and has not been really effective or committed for a couple of seasons now.  I cant see how he would be of any short or long term benefit to the team.

Having said that how signings work out is difficult to read;  who would have bet on Marlon King to out score Ashton or Hulse last season???  

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]To be perfectly honest, there are some posters on this board at the moment who would find something to moan about if we signed Shevchenko, Ronaldinho, Buffon, Gattuso & Henry!  Worthington, right at the moment, is damned if he does and damned if he doesn''t.[/quote]

Thats what you get when you have a failing two season''s and slag off the fans at the end of it......  The awful waste of space of a manager that is Nigel Worthington will have trouble getting those fans back onside considering his lack of motivational skills and offensive comments in the press.  I was offended by our uninspiring manager and his best mate Hooze....

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

The awful waste of space

[/quote]

Oh the irony...

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]To be perfectly honest, there are some posters on this board at the moment who would find something to moan about if we signed Shevchenko, Ronaldinho, Buffon, Gattuso & Henry!  Worthington, right at the moment, is damned if he does and damned if he doesn''t.[/quote]

Thats what you get when you have a failing two season''s and slag off the fans at the end of it......  The awful waste of space of a manager that is Nigel Worthington will have trouble getting those fans back onside considering his lack of motivational skills and offensive comments in the press.  I was offended by our uninspiring manager and his best mate Hooze....

[/quote]

Never said I disagreed with you on that, did I Paul?  It''s the constant bloody moaning that gets on my nerves - that, and the effort to turn everything into a Worthy Out tirade.......in fact, a couple of the replies since my original post have pretty much proved my point, really.

We have not put a bid in for Howard according to local sport on teletext , sure i read on this site that Worthless had put in a bid and was waiting for a reply .Who at the club is telling porkies ?