Sign in to follow this  
mat gore

Quick Poll - has anyon ever been less excited by the start of a new season ?

Nope. I''m sure there''s been a more boring close season, but I can''t remember it. It''s GOT to liven up soon.

Funnily enough, I think my expectations and excitement levels were far less in the summer prior to our promotion season...

No! I was depressed by signings and results during the Premiership season, except of course Ashton, and this last season and post season has destroyed what little hope I had. It''s all very depressing!

I''m really looking forward to supporting a team that I can relate to, not the over-rated over-paid bunch of losers I supported through the World Cup.

Bring on the new season - and don''t spoil it before it''s started!

[quote user="Death of Canaries"]Funnily enough, I think my expectations and excitement levels were far less in the summer prior to our promotion season...
[/quote]

I agree - 3 signings that close season.  Brennan, Edworthy & Francis.  I think the most people expected was that we might sneak into 6th.

I can see no reason at all to be inspired or excited about the new season with Worthington still in charge.

Mixed feelings really. Looking forward to seeing if Martin Hunter makes a difference, also hoping that a settled side is created with some consistent tactics and that last year was a blip. However I am just dreading the thought of a repetition of last season and an inactive Board who just stubbornly cling on and are wilfully blind to the weight of evidence on the pitch.

Worst thing would be a "middling" season where we are left in limbo again- not good enough for top 6 not bad enough for managerial change.

But then, walking down Riverside in the sun on a warm August afternoon before a game- terrific.

Norwich City have already spoilt it by retaining the Worthless one. Another season of mid table medocrity with all the same excuses we have all heard a thousand times before.

Me neither. I am 95% confident that we are going nowhere next season, and the only thing that would change my mind would be decent signings to take the club forward, which i am 90% sure will not happen.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[quote user="Death of Canaries"]Funnily

enough, I think my expectations and excitement levels were far less in

the summer prior to our promotion season...[/quote]

I agree - 3 signings that close season.  Brennan, Edworthy

& Francis.  I think the most people expected was that we might

sneak into 6th.

[/quote]

And Eddy came 24 hours before the first game!

But then I reckon that''s a fluke, and that year we weren''t constrained to a transfer window...

No, i am not excited about our prospects for this coming season.

Barring a few decent signings i can see the atmosphere at the first home game being similar to the muted, "just waiting for something to happen so that i can moan" type atmospheres that we experienced during the latter part of last season particularly if we lose and put in a poor performance at Leeds. This is why Worthington should have gone in the summer as i don''t think much will have changed in the minds and attitudes of supporters despite the 3 month lay off and the World Cup.

Next season the following teams are all going to be stronger than us for sure Brum, Palace, Sunderland (especially if they get O''Neil), WBA, Sunderland and most probably Preston and Soton. Worthington won''t win over the supporters as many will not be able to handle the fact that we are not up there with the above mentioned teams.

Yes I''m excited because starting next Wednesday I shall be watching my boys play again. Then the magic begins, & it continues at Cambridge on the 15th, & then in 2 home pre-season friendlies etc etc. Because for me the magic never wanes, even at 56 years of age, supporting my team, my boys, the boys who, once they sign for the club I support, are my boys, even if they aren''t the most talented players on this earth. Perhaps I''m different to lots of football fans, I was brought up as a Tottenham fan, who I watched quite regularly in the early 60''s, then started watching Southend in the mid/late 60''s, became a season-ticket holder & watched them for years all over the country, but moving around the country also regularly watched & supported my local team whether it were Ipswich, Reading, Walsall or others, but always with Southend as my first love. Then in the early 80''s, for a couple of reasons, I drifted away from football & it was only on moving to Norwich in ''88 that my interest in football was revived & I became a season ticket holder at Norwich, following them home & away. Now they''re my boys. Interestingly, during last season when Norwich''s form was disappointing I was able to get to see my first real love, Southend, a number of times at the end of the season, I saw them clinch promotion at Swansea & the title at home to Bristol City. They were great occasions & will always live in my memories but did not provide the same magic as seeing the team I watch week in, week out, achieve success - as was the case when Norwich won the title 2 & a bit years ago. But, with an affection for more than one football club, the magic & loyalty for me is not necessarily with the club (& with whatever that might embrace) but with the team, & the boys who go out & play for the team I have chosen to support. That''s probably why, whilst acknowledging they have an impact upon my ultimate happiness & satisfaction, I am  somewhat ambivalent about board & management changes, and prefer to concentrate my emotions and affection for the boys on the pitch, be that at first, reserve or youth team level. So for me, I don''t feel the need to influence & dictate how the club is run, I''m happy to leave that to others. I''m just delighted to retain my youthful, unwavering passion for the boys on the pitch & as long as they turn out for my team I''ll love ''em to bits. They''re my heroes, for better or worse - don''t give me the harsh reality of this cruel world, give me the escapism, the fairytale that is football. Give me all the fun, the unpredicability, the excitement that is football, that is supporting my team. Roll on next Wednesday, when I can cheer on all 22 of my boys - come on you yellows - I can''t wait!