Sign in to follow this  
Rotherhithe Canary

Bradley Wright-Phillips

IMO opinion one of the premierships most promising young players, has signed for southampton for 1million pounds, WHY DID WE NOT MOVE????? he would have been fantastic on the right or even a replacement for the under performing huckerby and at 1million surely within our buying liniys considering we were reportedly willing to spend 2million on hulse, this is another sign of worthys poor market skills. 

I agree it''s another missed opportunity, but I think he actually plays as an out-and-out striker, though I could be wrong...

If he was that promising why has he not been snapped up by another prem team ,and what has he done at club level to warrant a 1million price tag nothing from what i have seen i say well done worthy for not getting ripped off paying such a ridiculas price .

[quote user="snake pit army"]IMO opinion one of the premierships most promising young players, has signed for southampton for 1million pounds, WHY DID WE NOT MOVE????? he would have been fantastic on the right or even a replacement for the under performing huckerby and at 1million surely within our buying liniys considering we were reportedly willing to spend 2million on hulse, this is another sign of worthys poor market skills. [/quote]

I knew someone would post this.

He is a STRIKER not a winger.  Do we really want yet more strikers playing in our wide midfield positions?

He is small, quick striker.  We have Earnshaw for that and he is a better goal-scorer with a proven record. 

Now that is a signing and a half - I cant believe he has not been able to go to another prem club.

Promising youngster , we will end up with some run of the mill old journeymen.

[quote user="Danno"]Oh my god!!!! Will this Worthy bashing never end. Now you want Worthy to sign a striker so he can play him on the right wing. Or is it the left?[/quote]

To answer that, erm, no it won''t stop. Because he deserves it. He has bought it on himself.

He''s a good player folks. No two ways about it. But lets sign players in positions we need filling rather than those we have already covered.

By this reckoning we should have kept Aston, retained Earnshaw, signed Phillips, signed Jerome, signed Sutton, whilst still keeping McKensie for good measure.And maybe, while were here, sign Hartson as well.

Just because we don''t sign every available player, it doesn''t mean we should have signed them.

Fantastic signing for Southampton and would have played well alongside the quality target man that we should have signed with the Ashton money. Don''t think he would play well with Earnshaw or McKenzie though.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]Looks a great signing to me - he looked dangerous when given opportunities at Man City.  However we have no need for another short striker and we certainly don''t want to be playing yet another striker on the right wing.[/quote]

Good post PR. 

I don''t think he''s small. Anyone have a statistic to back that up? I thought he was fairly tall.

He''s Shaun''s half-brother, isn''t he?

Just found out he is 5''8" so he is fairly small.

He can''t have a lot of meat on him then, cos he looked quite lanky to me!

[quote user="Mook"]

I don''t think he''s small. Anyone have a statistic to back that up? I thought he was fairly tall.

[/quote]

Shaun is tiny and if Bradley is only his half brother he''ll be minute.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"][quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

Shaun is tiny and if Bradley is only his half brother he''ll be minute.

[/quote]

I''m ashamed to say I laughed out loud at that...

He is small though, another quick, pacy striker... mind you, he can''t be that quick, otherwise Sven would have taken him to Germany...

Bradley at only 5''8''''  is quite short but I guess lanky compared to his 5''5" half brother!   

While he has played striker he has made just as many appearances on the right hand side of midfield for citeh and so has as much merit, if not more, as considering Birchill, Halford or Edwards, none of whom have any prem experience.   He is not a SWP by any stretch of the imagination but being young, quick and hungry he would been as good as signing any of them or equivalent of say a marney.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[quote user="Danno"]Oh my god!!!! Will this Worthy bashing never end. Now you want Worthy to sign a striker so he can play him on the right wing. Or is it the left?[/quote]

To answer that, erm, no it won''t stop. Because he deserves it. He has bought it on himself.

[/quote]Worthy has lost the plot worst midfield in the division and no signs of signing any midfielders its becoming a big worry before we have kicked the season off.I generally think he is well happy with the midfield we had last season no creativity at all.

[quote user="allways travelling"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[/quote]Worthy has lost the plot worst midfield in the division and no signs of signing any midfielders its becoming a big worry before we have kicked the season off.I generally think he is well happy with the midfield we had last season no creativity at all.[/quote]

i know our midfield is poor, but worst midfield in the division is a bit melodramatic

Worst midfield in the division. Really? Have a think about that and get back to me.

This thread started off with someone complaining that Worthington should have signed a 5 foot 8 striker for £1m and played him on either the right or left wing. Considering the amount of complaints that people have made about Worthington doing this with other players it seemed a bit strange that someone is now having a go at him for now not doing this.

I''m all for constructive criticism and even when not constructive if it''s funny and/or original I don''t mind. The melodramatic comments and BORING repetition of spinning every club comment (or other poster''s view) into a further negative attack on the club does nothing but make those posters seem incapable of rational discussion and the club even more unlikely to take notice.

I quite agree that things are not all well at the club and there are worrying signs but I am also aware that we still have some really good players and the club isn''t about to go bankrupt. When I look at other clubs I can still say that I''m very happy to be a Norwich supporter.

The reality is that this level of comment about the club is going to make no impact on the board. At present the board believe in the manager and with season ticket money in the bag it will take something very spectacular for fans to have an influence on them. I will be channeling all my efforts in supporting the team not in demoralizing them in a effort that I think will not work, though I do think he will jump or be pushed if last seasons efforts continue.

Rant over.

[quote user="Danno"]Worst midfield in the division. Really? Have a think about that and get back to me. This thread started off with someone complaining that Worthington should have signed a 5 foot 8 striker for £1m and played him on either the right or left wing. Considering the amount of complaints that people have made about Worthington doing this with other players it seemed a bit strange that someone is now having a go at him for now not doing this. I''m all for constructive criticism and even when not constructive if it''s funny and/or original I don''t mind. The melodramatic comments and BORING repetition of spinning every club comment (or other poster''s view) into a further negative attack on the club does nothing but make those posters seem incapable of rational discussion and the club even more unlikely to take notice. I quite agree that things are not all well at the club and there are worrying signs but I am also aware that we still have some really good players and the club isn''t about to go bankrupt. When I look at other clubs I can still say that I''m very happy to be a Norwich supporter. The reality is that this level of comment about the club is going to make no impact on the board. At present the board believe in the manager and with season ticket money in the bag it will take something very spectacular for fans to have an influence on them. I will be channeling all my efforts in supporting the team not in demoralizing them in a effort that I think will not work, though I do think he will jump or be pushed if last seasons efforts continue. Rant over.[/quote]I have thought about it, please let me know why we are still looking to buy strikers when it was quite clear to me our midfield was the real problem.who are you expecting to create chances for, our strikers this season. Safri is quality that i will agree but with his international duties he misses quite a bit of the season and he does seem a bit injury prone. With regard to supporting norwich that is something i will never stop and i am as passionate about my club as any other fan. I am just saying it the way i see it.But it is getting very annoying to see our club being one of the best supported clubs in the division not to be adressing our main problems of last season. as i will say again the midfield is not going to be good enough looks like the hoofball to 5 ft 8 earnshaw could well continue until we buy some creative midfielders koumas would have been a great start.

I personally think that we do need a Peter Thorne type player, only not Peter Thorne (old, slow and actually a bit weak). A right winger, Safri in the middle with Etuhu who I think might show a bit more quality if played regularly and Hucks on the left.

Though not quite as exciting as a brand new signing, the five acadamy boys should cover a few positions and start a few games this season and hopefully a couple may become the next Greeno and Shackell.

We do not have and probably cannot afford to have one of the two strongest squads or 1st XI, so will have to rely on Fortress Carrow Road and some team spirit to make up the difference much like our promotion season.

Whether Worthington being in charge makes that impossible only time and peoples reaction to both loss and victory will tell. If when we are winning there is still the negative campaign against him, it will do substantially more damage to the league position than to Worthingtons position.

Koumas would have been a really great signing, but perhaps he didn''t want to come here, perhaps we could afford the transfer fee or the wages and if we could afford it maybe it would have left us financially unable to cover other positions. I have no idea which if any of these reasons it is. But the fact we didn''t sign him shoudn''t leave the door open for people to make comments of the "Worthington is a bad manager because he couldn''t be bothered to try to sign him" ilk. They don''t know if that is the case and shows irrationality and a lack of capacity for reasoned argument. I wont deny though that it does seem to create a feeding frenzy for other Worthy Bashers.

I want the club to make some signings soon to enable them to settle in and stand as good a chance as possible for this season. I also want want those players to be the right ones. Marry in haste repent at leisure.

[quote user="Danno"]Koumas would have been a really great signing, but perhaps he didn''t want to come here, perhaps we could afford the transfer fee or the wages and if we could afford it maybe it would have left us financially unable to cover other positions. I have no idea which if any of these reasons it is. But the fact we didn''t sign him shoudn''t leave the door open for people to make comments of the "Worthington is a bad manager because he couldn''t be bothered to try to sign him" ilk. They don''t know if that is the case and shows irrationality and a lack of capacity for reasoned argument. I wont deny though that it does seem to create a feeding frenzy for other Worthy Bashers.[/quote]

Neil Doncaster admitted Jason Koumas is not the type of player Worthington wanted at the club.  We were not, and I would guess, still are not interested in Jason Koumas (the 2nd best midfielder in this division behind Andy Hughes)

[quote user="snake pit army"]he would have been fantastic on the right or even a replacement for the under performing huckerby [/quote]

Are you advocating playing a player (striker) out of position? ;-)

And how times change. Suddenly Hux is no good and we shouldn''t play him? I thought he was our Talisman - I must have been a way a long time.

[quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."] Am I the only one who is getting bored of this? [/quote]

No you''re most certainly not, BJK! There is a minority on here who will use any excuse to bash Worthy - berating Worthy for not signing a striker to play on the right wing just shows how confused some of them are in themselves!

I''m a Worthy Out-er, and can''t wait to see the back of him, and I also think that BWP is a good player. But using it as an excuse for the WO cause seriously undermines those of us trying to make valid points.

[quote user="Danno"]I personally think that we do need a Peter Thorne type player, only not Peter Thorne (old, slow and actually a bit weak). A right winger, Safri in the middle with Etuhu who I think might show a bit more quality if played regularly and Hucks on the left. Though not quite as exciting as a brand new signing, the five acadamy boys should cover a few positions and start a few games this season and hopefully a couple may become the next Greeno and Shackell. We do not have and probably cannot afford to have one of the two strongest squads or 1st XI, so will have to rely on Fortress Carrow Road and some team spirit to make up the difference much like our promotion season. Whether Worthington being in charge makes that impossible only time and peoples reaction to both loss and victory will tell. If when we are winning there is still the negative campaign against him, it will do substantially more damage to the league position than to Worthingtons position. Koumas would have been a really great signing, but perhaps he didn''t want to come here, perhaps we could afford the transfer fee or the wages and if we could afford it maybe it would have left us financially unable to cover other positions. I have no idea which if any of these reasons it is. But the fact we didn''t sign him shoudn''t leave the door open for people to make comments of the "Worthington is a bad manager because he couldn''t be bothered to try to sign him" ilk. They don''t know if that is the case and shows irrationality and a lack of capacity for reasoned argument. I wont deny though that it does seem to create a feeding frenzy for other Worthy Bashers. I want the club to make some signings soon to enable them to settle in and stand as good a chance as possible for this season. I also want want those players to be the right ones. Marry in haste repent at leisure.[/quote]Going on to talk about youth saying a couple of the young lads might come through i actually think they are good enough.But worthy is killing them by not playing them,several occasions last season we was short in midfield due to injuries.All worthy done was to bring in experienced players out of position.Letting crow leave on a free was madness same with malky leaving and keeping flem instead horrendous decisions. when is the board going to wake up to worthys inabilities which are clear for all to see. 

No you''re not BJK, as with DOC I am a ''worthy outer'' but this has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. with nothing to talk about I suppose people are going to invent things to moan about. as for another poster who has suggested we are not after a midfielder but last week we were after Chadwick for the right wing which, I am sorry to say, either came to nothing or was bulls**t from the start - but whatever, it doesn''t suggest that we are happy with our current choice of midfielders. And for this thread to be slagging Worthington for not signing a 5''8" striker to play on the right is, quite frankly, totally laughable.

Yes, criticism of Worthington is certainly valid but let''s try not to make ourselves look like dribbling simpletons!

[quote user="Danno"]That may well be the case, though I''m not quite sure what he meant by "type" Expensive type; Stroppy type or I can actually pass the ball type.[/quote]

to be fair I think the problem was Koumas''s attitude.  having said that, he signed Etuhu.