Sign in to follow this  
Rotherhithe Canary

BETTER ATMOSPHERE - BARCLAY or SNAKE PIT?

I remeber going to games as a child in the lower barclay and remembering that as by far the best atmosphere in the stadium, but in the last few seasons i believe that the snake pit has started to take over from the barclay, thats why i have renewed my ticket in the snake pit, whats everyone elses opinion, BARCLAY or SNAKE PIT?

i''d probably agree with you on this snake.  i sit in lower barclay close to the pit.  the best atmosphere imo was in the old barclay stand when the home and away support stood next to each other.

snakepit has the loudest fans the club has to offer. I have heard all the barclay boys want to sit in the pit there just arent enough tickets so the resign back to the barclay.

[quote user="YGB"] I have heard all the barclay boys want to sit in the pit.[/quote]

Rubbish!

Blocks D and E constantly outsing the snakepit, start the songs and ge the atmosphere going.... The barclay is the place to be...

Snakepit are Barclay rejects anyway [;)]

jas :)

only because in that part of the ground the steward dont do their job! U will never beat the snakepit

The EDP did a decibel reading once I think and concluded that the Snakepit was louder than the Barclay.

Disadvantages of being in the ''pit however, as has already been pointed out; the Stewards are on a mission constantly to make everyone sit down and you''re too far from the away supporters to really "interact" with them like the Barclay does.

Mind you, the Snakepit can often get "involved" in a game - Ie. getting Matthew Etherington sent off, and completely screwing up that Luton players'' game last season by taunting him everytime he came anywhere near the touchline.

I''m not sure if this is true or not but I heard that when Kieron Richardson scored against us at carrow road (in the Prem season) that someone from the Snakepit threw a pie at him. I remember that he had been provoking the crowd all day that game and when he scored I think he celebrated in front of the Snakepit. Abit random I know.....

Can anyone confirm this if true?

Yup, very true, although a bit odd as the pies at Carrow Road are very nice these days. Seems a waste...

[quote user="Jimaldinho"]

I''m not sure if this is true or not but I heard that when Kieron Richardson scored against us at carrow road (in the Prem season) that someone from the Snakepit threw a pie at him. I remember that he had been provoking the crowd all day that game and when he scored I think he celebrated in front of the Snakepit. Abit random I know.....

Can anyone confirm this if true?

[/quote]

It is true - it hit him on the back of the head

No doubting it has to be the Snakepit, we may not "interact" with the away fans, but we get to "interact" with the opposing players, Matthew Etherington, Carlos Edwards, Kieron Richardson and I will never forget the mass brawl between the Norwich and Blackpool players right in front of us. And have you noticed how rarely the away subs warm up in front of us??

I have sat in numerous positions around the ground and been to a number of other grounds too. I do wonder why the Barclay and SP are the only areas of FCR that actually make a noise. Whenever I have sat in the new stand, despite being next to the opposition and with a good view of proceedings I have always been struck by how apathetic, disinterested, ''shy'' the folk are.

It takes a hell of a lot to get Norfolk folk jumping and singing outside the Barclay and SP. And it''s not just that they may be family/kids populated.

Thoughts?

OTBC

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]No doubting it has to be the Snakepit, we may not "interact" with the away fans, but we get to "interact" with the opposing players, Matthew Etherington, ?[/quote]

Yes, the etherington moment was quality. He wouldnt put the ball in the corner quadrent, the snake pit kicked up a huge fuss, the ref came over and gave him is second yellow. He was sent off right by the snake pit thanks to the snake pit.

do u still get funny looks or called a "hooligan" in the river end for even daring to sing on the ball city?

I have sat in there once.. for a leage cup tie against Oxford about 10 years ago... id liken it to being dead.... sitting in there must be what the afterlife is like.. u cant sing, swear, comment on the referee or even applaud and shout "come on!" without getting a funny look!

jas :)

Having sat in the Barclay end for the best part of 5 years I have to say its the Barclay, I have sat once in the Snake Pit but the reason is that its more enclosed thank the Barclay, I sat in the River end for about 10 or so years and just wish that it had some passion, the same goes with the rest of the ground if we could get them to sing like the Snakepit and the Barclay the atmosphere would be like the Inter and Bayern games a few years ago and that will get us promoted.