Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Is vitriol ruining this message board ?

No - societies lack of tolerance and respect for anothers view is what is ruins this web site.  This is a discussion site where opposing views are needed and should be encouraged to keep the board alive. 

If you disagree with a view you should of course put your point across - but recognse yours is not the only point of view and that yours is as likely to feel as offensive to others as you find others point of view.  No one person has a monopoly on correct thinking - even if I think I do[;)]   And none of us, myself included, are innocent of the charge of taking this forum downhill - I know I lapse in moments of pique and frustration and for that I apologise. 

My particular bugbear is when posters do nothing but belittle or rididcule a poster without commenting on the discussion/points being raised  - I find it purile and degrading from the poster and the humour is lost from the second occurrance.   Others find the use of hyperbole/flaming approaches,  repetetive discussion topics, poor grammar/spelling or use of text language frustrating - personally I dont have a problem with any of these as the key is the point being made, not the manner it is put across.  

Pete - yes things have settled down a bit;  however I feel this is less of a last peace but more of a calm before the storm restarting once matches start again in August - when the divisions in opinion are again brought to the fore.

Hopefully things can only get better - both on and off the pitch for NCFC;  we just disagree on what the best way to get that improvement is.

I am one of those who has taken the decision to post a lot less on here lately, for many of the reasons already stated.  I am hopeful, however, that reason is beginning to show itself on the boards.  That''s a few times lately that threads such as this have appeared, and have actually created some worthwhile dsicussion and very valid points while attracting less flaming.

Rossi 46 - best post I have read in some considerable time, thank you.  Keep up the good work.

there are some of us who want Worthy out (myself included) but do not feel the need to persistently remind others of that opinion nor seek to use every story to bash Nigel whether its pertinent or not.

there are many posters on this site with similar and contrasting opinions to my own but they engage in debate without recourse to vitriol which i consider to be healthy and welcome.

of course, we all have good moods and bad moods, but anyone who takes delight in for example announcing they are looking forward to a ''friendly'' merely to reenage their compaign to oust Worthy is  not my ''cup of tea'' . Neither is anyone who''s sole aim is to be brash, attention-seeking and provocative (you can make up your own minds as to who that might be) especially when they can''t take the retorts.

At times too i think it becomes too cliched and PC but different strokes.......

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

1. Insults and rude replies from fellow posters to posters, one even refers to me as ''Lizard'' every time, and its allowed by the moderators!.

[/quote]

You may remember I commented a long time back how you change your colours like a chameleon. Thats why you''ll always be 1st Lizard as far as I''m concerned. Get the mods to filter free speech if thats what pleases you.[/quote]

Herb:

My last take on this is simple. You say get the mods to filter free speech if that pleases me. In my opinion you try to hide under the free speech banner, whereas what you really want, is a ''right to insult'' charter.

On a lot of other message boards name calling between posters is not tolerated, I believe the same attitude should happen here, yes, that does put more work onto the moderators, but this problem must be addressed.

Otherwise you run the risk of damn good posters quitting (which they have) and not returning.

As I said this is my last say on this matter, if you wish to carry on insulting me, then do so alone.

[quote]

On a lot of other message boards name calling between posters is not tolerated, I believe the same attitude should happen here, yes, that does put more work onto the moderators, but this problem must be addressed.

[/quote]

Is this the same 1st wizard that wrote this on www.carrowroad.net

http://carrowroad.net/thestand/index.php?showtopic=7952&hl=delia

Calling one of the majority shareholders a female dog is hardly what could be construed as a constructive argument.  Knowing this makes you seem slightly hypocritical...

Is changing your opinion as your emotions go through ups and downs more or less dangerous than being intransient in your opinion?

Acceptance of errors and an ability to identify and learn from them is a virtue.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Otherwise you run the risk of damn good posters quitting (which they have) and not returning.

[/quote]

Course that would all be my fault.

[quote]Is changing your opinion as your emotions go through ups and downs more or less dangerous than being intransient in your opinion?

Acceptance of errors and an ability to identify and learn from them is a virtue.[/quote]

And I accept the error of posting that in haste.  However, Wizard was talking of other message boards where moderation is more carefully acheived, I was wondering whether this was one of them.  If insults aren''t allowed between posters, then why is it acceptable to insult public figures ?

Dont disagree with you on that BBB.

Wiz and I disagree about as many things as we agree on - but where wiz stands above many is that when appropriately challenged will apologise.

Like you in teh example above he posts in the heat of the moment and gets things off his chest as he feels them at the moment - I cant agree with his descriptions but I can see and accept his opinion that Delia is not the best custodian for the club.

Perhaps Wiz!! you might take some of your own medicine and moderate your own language when addressing or castigating members of our club and fans whether they use the boards to post or not, being polite is not difficult for normal human beings. Or is it the Wizard mantle that rests too heavily on your shoulders for normal conversation, you know minus *%+***.   Amongst the bad manners and expletives you often make good points in defence of your causes.   Being a bit consistent would also be a help.

a forum by definiton is a collection of opinions and therefore the pink un forum acts as a barometer of fan opinion, so i don''t think vitriol is ruining the message board - its surely an indication for anybody who''s interested of current fan thinking. rightly or wrongly, many people are out of love with worthy, many of the players and maybe even delia.however, blah - many people as we also know in life seek platforms to express hate - which has nothing to do with the subject (in this case norwich city) - but to fulfil their own agenda''s.  they deliberately argue, rile and cause reaction in others in order to gain emotional satisfaction for themselves. 

Pete!! I think that there is a double standard being put forward as exceptable to the forum, by 1st Wiz and that is, that he considers it unacceptable to be rude and aggressive to fellow posters. I agree that it is.  At the same time he feels free to refer to the subjects of his malice /bitterness in a unkind and rude fashion. In my opinion this is not on, and he rapidly scampers off with his tail between his legs when other posters point out the errors of his ways without being rude of course.  At the the same time he asks for protection from the arbiters of the board.  I feel that he has much to offer both in humour and ideas;  but top of the list from him might be consistency of argument without being rude or offensive.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

but where wiz stands above many is that when appropriately challenged will apologise.

[/quote]

I never received a justified apology from him when he named me in a post that was unfactual, he is morally bankrupt.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

[/quote]

Is this the same 1st wizard that wrote this on www.carrowroad.net

http://carrowroad.net/thestand/index.php?showtopic=7952&hl=delia

Calling one of the majority shareholders a female dog is hardly what could be construed as a constructive argument.  Knowing this makes you seem slightly hypocritical...

[/quote]

Firstly, and against what I said earlier about replying to this subject, you leave me little choice but to reply to your challenge Mr B.

Okay ''bitch'' was maybe a tad strong to describe Ms Smith (although the Pink Un allows others to call me Lizard and such!) but after re-reading said article, I still stand by every word in it, and why not?.

I thought I was right at the time and still do, you get a reply because unlike some on here, you at least had the decency to use my real username.

As the moderators seem happy to still allow posters to bully fellow posters by calling them names, I want nothing more to do with this web site which seems to activelly encourage rudeness to fellow posters!.

Maybe Peter Raven should look nearer to home for the reasons behind falling user numbers.

[quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

but where wiz stands above many is that when appropriately challenged will apologise.

[/quote]

I never received a justified apology from him when he named me in a post that was unfactual, he is morally bankrupt.

[/quote]

You never recieved an apology Squit, because one wasn''t do, simple!.

Moderators: You''ve shown your true colours today, be proud!.

So you have never received an apology from Wiz then, Squit? I can''t say as I blame him, as I''m quite sure that on the many occasions you''ve been wrong you have never apologised to him, or anybody else for that matter.

If you''re not rude and wrong then there''s little to apologise for.  If a post is factual and well phrased and polite then one should be pleased to read it even if it is in disagreement with your own feelings.

"Anyone for a cup of tea and a hob-nob?"...........[C][U]

"Is cuprinol ruining my shed door?"  will be the next subject.....[:|]

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]So you have never received an apology from Wiz then, Squit? I can''t say as I blame him, as I''m quite sure that on the many occasions you''ve been wrong you have never apologised to him, or anybody else for that matter.[/quote]

Please can I have some examples?

Well one can''t moderate 24/7 ZLF. I do enjoy my weekends...

I''m sure normal service will resume soon enough once the season starts

vitrol alone is not ruining this message board.

the repititive, tedious, contextually irrelevant, attention-seeking posts of a handful of posters is.

the occasional barb should be water off a duck''s back especially for those who quite happily dish it out. 

I have every sympathy with the moderators who have an impossible task.  My dismay is aimed us moronic posters dont have a jot of self control...

This stops now. The posts I''ve had to delete since Wiz''s exit proves his point so let''s stick to football please folks.

Sorry Pete,

But I just wanted to say that the only real reason, in my view, that the board has degenerated to the state it is in  is 2 fold.

1. 3 years ago when the board was full of lively debate and good humour was because the club, the board, the team and their performances made the fans feel like being of good humour and all the lively debate was about positive developments at the club. The state of the club, whoever or even if no-one is to blame reflects the mood and stateof the board.

2. The excellent way this board is run and who it is run by, has made it the board to be on if you have an opinion, that has unfortunately led to less literate, less intelligent, less mature individuals being drawn to this board as other boards prove to be technically and intellectually failing them.  

Agree with your first point shortfatb - it has always been the case that when a football club does well then the local papers do well as a result, and similarly when a club is seen to be under-perfomring then paper sales inevitably drop. Fingers crossed the football club sees some success in the forthcoming season (and not just for this website - I''m a City fan first and foremost).

The one thing we can control is the abuse on this board and the moderating team is now aware of the problem and hopefully it will be stamped out over the coming weeks. Unfortunately what we can''t control is the fortunes of our club and the lack of a genuine right-sided midfielder...

Maybe a slight alteration  to the format  is called for ?   instead of   just   emailing  the culprit  to say he/ she  has had a message scrubbed , why not  do as a ref would do ,  issue a yellow card  , which will be displayed  for , say , a week ,  alongside  the culprits screen name  , another  yellow card  within that time   and its a red one !     and banned for one week ......   just a thought !

Shortfatb  is right  ,  most football  forums  reflect  the fortunes of their clubs !   we`ve had two lousy seasons  , and the long suffering fans need an outlet  ... this board is one of them !    to try and stifle  this trend   would be a mistake  , it may be boring and tedious to some  , but  , lets face it  , if you don`t like it ....  don`t read it !  the control of this board  rests with the moderators  , NOT with those who think  THEY  should control it !  [B]

[quote user="The ghost of Brian Moore"]So in the end it''s ALL WORTHY''S FAULT!!!!! If he hadn''t insisted on playing a left back in central midfield - LEFT BACK IN CENTRAL MIDFIELD etc etc!!!!!! - we wouldn''t be in this mess. BOOOOOO!!!!!![/quote]

To be fair mate, he did repeatedly play left backs in central midfield ahead of fully fit proper central midfielders many times last season.  Great Management.