Sign in to follow this  
Canary02

Targets

By all accounts, Worthington is only looking for a target man, a right winger and possibly a spare left back and goalie on the cheap. Even if we get quality signings in all these positions will it be enough to help us mount a serious title challenge?

I''m asking a genuine question as I''m not sure either way. I know for sure that the world would look a damn sight better if we were to add say, Chris Eagles and Rob Hulse (obviously I don''t believe we''ll sign either but lets give Nige the benefit of the doubt, just for kicks). Would that be enough to turn us from mid-table inconsistents to title challengers though?

Not a chance. Unless the centre of midfield is redressed we are going nowhere and hoofball will remain prevalent. Two centre midfielders are required because Hughes is utterly hopeless and Safri will probably play only half the games due to injury, religion and general boredom.

IF Worthington can recongnise our problem areas over the pitch and can then fill those positions with quality players then of course we could mount a serious title challenge. However sometimes that isnt the case though. Worthington has signed a few quality players in the last 2 years but has failed to get the best out of them. For example Ashton (in the champ season last year) being used as a target man when its blatantly obvious that the guy needed the ball at his feet in order to play to his best. For me next season Worthington''s going to have to adapt his tactics so we can play to the strengths of our best players, Earnie Huckerby etc.

I agree with what you''re saying. I just wonder if the lifting effect of signing a couple of proven quality players might just be enough to turn things around. Hughes and Robinson are atrocious but Safri and the Etuhu who finished the season for us are good players, and IF (and without resorting to 72 point I can''t really show how big an "IF" I think it is) they stay fit, the team would be capable with just two more quality signings in my opinion.

Obviously in an ideal world you''d strengthen virtually every area in the team, (because the squad is threadbare on numbers and quality) but realistically we know Worthington won''t do that and looks like he''s only going to add a first choice striker and right-winger (if that). My hope is that IF he gets two quality players, the all-round positivity of having a balanced, capable first XI might carry us through (at least until the January window).

As Worthy said on September 2nd 2005

'' For me, the middle is not the problem. Where we have to tidy up is at either end - up front and at the back.''

That might give some indication of what worthy might think about his midfield. It was bad then and he thought that it was the best part of the team. Say''s it all really.  

and since then we have signed etuhu and robbo.   I do worry that the central midfield will be left unaltered.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]and since then we have signed etuhu and robbo.   I do worry that the central midfield will be left unaltered.[/quote]I really hope your wrong there if he doesnt sort the midfield problem out we are doomed this season .Every manager worth his wages must know this is the most important area of the pitch for any good footballing side.If we have to rely on etuhu hughes and robinson things are looking desperate and he has not learnt a thing from last season when everyone could see what was wrong.Safri is the only very good midfielder we can trust but injuries which he tends to get a lot of and country games mean he doesnt play that often.could be the season of long ball again pumped up to 5ft 8 earnshaw he will soon get fed up with that like we all will. 

If we bought a decent player at Right mid, Centre mid and possibly up front and up back with a left back backup for Drury, then we would have a good enough squad. But these players would have to be worth it.