Sign in to follow this  
0peteddMMyyyy0Falseen-USTrue

Too much misguided optomism

Get youselves prepared for major disappointment even before the season kicks off regarding Worthy in the free transfer market.  And just wait for the big kick off and see Worthy''s wonders play entertaining successful football, some hopes.  10 games might not last that long. 

picture this:

6 games gone, won 2, drawn 2, lost two. 8 points from 18 - middle table.

pressure builds, ND says it''s too early to judge and performances are better

12 games gone won 4, drawn 4, lost 4 16 points from 36 - bottom half of table - fans unhappy, Munby blames injuries, loan players come in.

18 games gone won 6 drawn 6 lost 6. 24 points from 54 - need time for the loan players to settle in according to the board - we''ve been unlucky, lost games when we had them one, dodgy decisions, you havent seen the best of me quotes in the paper

24 games gone - no excuses, delia tries to win the hearts and minds amidst fans calling for her head, nigel goes. new manager arrives to do little before the window closes and says it will take a couple of seasons to get worthy''s signing out and real players in.

end of season - a late improvement but we were too far away when delia called time on nigel. parachute payments ends, earnie gets sold, hucks retires, and a whole host of players leave on a free (there are loads of contracts finishing next season)

Prem clubs now have luxury of minimum £30m for finishing bottom of the table and we are doomed for second level football until a Euro league starts and the money from the prem drains.

Too much misguided optimism?  Where is that, exactly?  Certainly not on here, that is for sure: there is not one move that Worthy/Norwich can do at the moment without it being wrong, it is never long before someone will draw a negative conclusion from anything that is said and woe betide anyone who tries to be optimistic!!

It will certainly be interesting to see what we get in the transfer market, the portents aren''t particularly good but it really does have to be said that things are very quiet in terms of transfers occuring anywhere, not just here - almost everything is just media speculation at the moment.  I would love to be pleasantly surprised, but feel that most want whoever we sign to fail before they''ve even kicked a ball.

"Too much misguided optimism?  Where is that, exactly?  Certainly not on here, that is for sure: there is not one move that Worthy/Norwich can do at the moment without it being wrong, it is never long before someone will draw a negative conclusion from anything that is said and woe betide anyone who tries to be optimistic!!"

And this is where I have to say my optomism stops. If anything this season will be a test of the true colours of the fans. I expect more booing more neggative and sarcastic chants and generally neggative support.

If that happens we will be the next Wolves where our team fails to lift themselves because the fans knock them down everytime they try to get up - even with a great leader on the pitch in Ince. Not the greatest footballer any longer but is a sure leader like Wise on the pitch.

Its about time that some of the fans actually realised what the actual situation is. People suggesting that no one should be optimistic - well now that really is "misguided".

I find it weird that for the best part of ten years people were positive about our club, willing to get behind the team and support everything green and yellow even though we were not doing well in the knowledge that without the support NCFC could not only be playing in league two but may well have gone into liquidation and dissapeared.

Yet now, after limited succes due to limited resources which has lead to the club being more financially stable people feel that they have done enough to kick back their feet and just watch. It reminds me of the players that you never want to see on the pitch, the ones that think they are gods gift to football and that they only have to turn up and put in minimum performances to get a result. And you know where that sort of player ends up and that is out the door.

So as for optomistic people being misguided - I think that they have probably forfilled more of the defenition of a supporter and maybe a fan that those that refuse to be optimistic and even tell those that are that they display a lack of intelligence and understanding of reality by doing so.

What an insult to the club and supporters alike!

I will remain optomistic if no one else will because without any support those players out there every week will not perform and it will be nobodies fault but those who refuse to support them if we fall short of our potential.

[quote user="chicken"]

So as for optomistic people being misguided - I think that they have probably forfilled more of the defenition of a supporter and maybe a fan that those that refuse to be optimistic and even tell those that are that they display a lack of intelligence and understanding of reality by doing so.

What an insult to the club and supporters alike!

I will remain optomistic if no one else will because without any support those players out there every week will not perform and it will be nobodies fault but those who refuse to support them if we fall short of our potential.

[/quote]

Are you sure that it is because of a lack of support that the players under perform, or is it because they are simply not good enough?  If a player gives his all, regardless of talent, I will always support them as its not their fault that a below average manager bought them in the first place.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the word is OPTIMISM, not OPTOMISM. It''s painful seeing a word misspelt so many times.

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]Sorry to be pedantic, but the word is OPTIMISM, not OPTOMISM. It''s painful seeing a word misspelt so many times.[/quote]

Are you a teacher by any chance??? [Btw, I spelt it correctly...not wishing to be the class swot or anything!]

"Are you sure that it is because of a lack of support that the players

under perform, or is it because they are simply not good enough?  If a

player gives his all, regardless of talent, I will always support them

as its not their fault that a below average manager bought them in the

first place."Shame no one else will - Look at Hughes  - its not his fault hes awful and he tries hard. Look at Robinson, hes not actually that bad - people decided he was cos he was very cheap.Look at Etuhu - hes OK, hes 23 and qualifies as a young player, should get better and is investment for the future.shame they all play the same position however.certainly Robinson and Etuhu are good cover for the middle of the park - just need a first choice player in front of them.I suppose part of the problem is that they are replacing Francis, who was very good for us.

In answer to your question, Branston, no I''m not. Apologies to one and all, but I was feeling a bit irritable yesterday afternoon. The trouble is that when a title is misspelt (as they frequently are) you then have to suffer the unsightly word for a day or two. I''m not immune to spelling mistakes myself, but I do try to check all the spellings in the title when I start a new post.

So would you say that the team Worthington got to the play off final would have done as well as they did without the support?

It seems some supporters seriously "missunderestimate" their responsibility when it comes to the success of a team.

I would say that the play-off final was as much about the fans uniting behind the team and manager as the ability of the players on the pitch.

People talk of Iwan and Malky - the truth is we supported them and thats why they were able to lead on the pitch as well as they were.

Right now the football is "hot-potato" no one wants to make the first mistake so most players didnt want the ball. No player wanted to take the reins because it could cost them their career and move them into the spotlight of the negative attention of sections of the "support".

So yes the fans have a lot to do with results. Thats why they are called the 12th player.

It''s okay Stephen, it winds me up as well... I don''t expect everyone to

have impeccable spelling, but when the same glaring error occurs more

than one, and from more than one person, it grinds my gears.

But, returning to the subject of optimism, let''s not be too quick to

confuse a lack of optimism with a lack of support for the team.  I

have very low expectations about the team next year - we''ve made zero

signings so far, and still have some of the poorest midfield players

any club has seen in recent years (by the way, I rate Hughes higher

than Robinson) - however when I go to Carrow Road I will always sing my

heart out, win, lose or draw.

So I''m a Worthy Outer who can''t wait to get back to Carrow Road to get

behind the team... something of an enigma, possibly, but that''s just

the way I am.  In the pub, at work, and on here I will complain

about the lack of activity this summer, but even if nothing else

happens I''ll still be there cheering come the start of the season.

And despite having differing views on Worthy to some on this board, I

agree with Chicken''s comments that we are quickly becoming the Norfolk

version of Wolves fans - are our expectations too high? Almost

certainly... But am I ambitious enough to believe we may one day

challenge for the Premiership title? Without a shadow of a doubt. It

may never happen, but I can dream....

The problem comes chicken from the fact a sizable proportion of the fans in the most vocal areas of the ground, the Snakepit and the Lower Barclay, blame the manager for getting lots of decisions wrong these last two years (which he has done).  At some point it was decided - en masse by these fans - that as we werent allowed to chant against worthy inside the ground - they just would not chant at all.

Hence for the last say 8 home matches of the season, we have had the quietest Carrow Road I can ever remember in all the years I have been going reguarly (snce 1993 when I moved up to norwich).

For whatever reason those other fans have not begun chanting or the chants have just died a death.  I would agree with you there are a fair few players not well supported in the stadium.  The likes of Hughes, Etuhu, Robinson are disliked by many fans, due to the fact worthy signed them and how poor they have been and/or actually are.  Also players like Doherty have many fans just remembering his appalling premiership performances.  Greeno looked disinterested last year, Ashton lost heart quickly when he realised how poor the side was looking.  Colin and Jarrett looked like the newest members of the Ian Henderson club of totally mismanaged players. 

As someone said on the official site message board, it is as if the heart and soul has been sucked out of this club at the moment - and i will tell you one thing Captain Clapper aint gonna bring it back....  And I am afraid there can only be one man responsible for this due to his actions.  The guy basically waged war on a proportion of the fans last year, and he won, he is still in a job, in spite of dire performances and results, every target he set he failed, 9th!!  wow - not surprising considering the abilities of many of his signings.  He even got a sucker punch in at the end of the season with his true supporters remark... what a pillock.

well that sucker punch has just spurred some of us back into life. Cambridge Away Freindly here we  come!! 

WORTHY OUT

get this fool out of our club.........