Sign in to follow this  
Calle

Birchall??

Who is this Birchall playing for T&T?? Anyone got som info on him? Looked really good vs England today. He would be a great signing!

http://wc.footymad.net/player-profile/trinidad-and-tobago/chris-birchall

Chris Birchall plays for Port Vale.. He was born and Raised in England but qualifies for T and T due to some technicality with his
Mothers birth isnt it?

jas :)

Plays for Port Vale

First white T&T player for over 60 years

Scored superb 40 yarder on debut and is regarded as a hero over there

From wikipedia.org

Christopher Birchall (born May 5, 1984) is an association football (soccer) player. He currently plays in midfield for English club side Port Vale. He was voted young player of the year in 2005 at Port Vale after having a good season.

Although born in Stafford, England, Birchall has represented Trinidad and Tobago at international level. He is eligible for that country because his mother was born in Port of Spain.

When asked by the press in Trinidad and Tobago why he qualified to play

for them he replied ‘Me mum’. This memorable response gave rise to his

Soca Warrior nickname ‘Me Mum’.

Birchall was first made aware of that country''s interest in him by current T&T and Wrexham central defender Dennis Lawrence, who asked him after a league match if he would be interested in playing for the Soca Warriors. After making his debut for the national side, Birchall became the first white player to represent the country in 60 years.

Undoubtedly his most important contribution to the Soca Warriors came on November 12, 2005, in their home (first) leg of their 2006 World Cup qualifying playoff against Bahrain.

Bahrain had scored in the 72nd minute and were poised to take a 1-0

lead back home for the second leg, but five minutes later, Birchall

fired in a stunning goal from well outside the penalty area to

equalise. The Soca Warriors went on to win the return leg of the

playoff in Bahrain 1-0 (on a goal from Lawrence) and advance to their

first World Cup

finals ever. He has scored 3 goals in 18 matches, as of May 2006 -

becoming the first white player to score for Trinidad and Tobago.

22 years old, mother born in Trinidad which gives him the right to play even though he is English. Plays for Port Vale.I was thinking about Birchall when I logged on to the forum. Unfortunately I think every Championship and a few Premiership club forums will be asking the same question.

There are a good few players in there worth a shot in my opinion.Dennis Lawrence did a very good job too. As did Edwards who I thought is available on a free from Luton at the moment?And the way I understood what they were saying on the box, Birchill is actually the first white sportsperson to represent T&T for over 60 years - not just football. Could well be wrong mind you.

its folly to buy players on the basis of 2-3 good games at a world cup/euro.

there''s so many examples of players in th past who''ve shined in these tournaments and then failed to deliver domestically afterwards.

there''s a reason these players are currently playing for port vale and gillingham.

[quote user="chicken"]And the way I understood what they were

saying on the box, Birchill is actually the first white sportsperson to

represent T&T for over 60 years - not just football. Could well be

wrong mind you.[/quote]

30 years iirc.

T+T gained independance from the UK in 1962, I''d hazard a guess most

players before that were white, given we were lording it over them.

[quote user="GreenoForEngland"]you must have watched the game from the pub and not been able to hear the commintator say he doesnt get a game for Port Vale, hes useless in general.[/quote]

32 games last season out of a possible 46... plays regulalry then

jas :)

[quote user="GreenoForEngland"]you must have watched the game from the pub and not been able to hear the commintator say he doesnt get a game for Port Vale, hes useless in general.[/quote]

Watched the game at home in Sweden, and I did hear the commentatators very well. Both of the thought he was man of the match, and I very much agree with them.

Someone said that there´s a reason he plays for Port Vale, obviously, as I live in Sweden I dont see that many Port Vale games, so I´m not the one to judge his performance for them.

The problem is that there is a fundamental difference between raising your game for one-offs in a World Cup and performing at or near that level consistently over a 40+ game season - non-league/League 2 sides who produce one-off FA Cup results are a similar example. 

As others have said, there are presumably good footballing reasons why these players are playing for Wrexham/Gillingham etc and I guess time will tell on whether anyone fancies a gamble on them....but I personally hope it is not us given where we are and the players we need (imo, we generally need ones with a proven record (or at least experience) at our level).  Edwards is a different thing altogether, having performed well in the Championship last season; when we were linked with him well before the W-C I was quite pleased (unlike some who now seem to have changed their tune) but by now he may well have impressed more than just our fans. 

[quote user="Calle"]

Watched the game at home in Sweden, and I did hear the commentatators very well. Both of the thought he was man of the match, and I very much agree with them.

Someone said that there´s a reason he plays for Port Vale, obviously, as I live in Sweden I dont see that many Port Vale games, so I´m not the one to judge his performance for them.

[/quote]

could have sworn he said he doesnt play, but then again i was hammered :-). ohwell.

Don`t you just love the wit and wisdom of some of the posters on this board. Just because somebody is playing for a team in the lower league it does not mean they are crap. Where was Ian Wright playing before he signed for Palace (and at what age) ?, and he was crap wasn`t he!!. There are loads of examples of players making the step up, Crewe alone have produced a fair few over the years. I am not saying we should sign Birchall but please lets not just write of players  because they ply their trade in the lower leagues.