Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Championship teams next season

How do you think the championship will go next season? Do you think there will be any suprise team pushing for the top 2/6?

Personally,  i think Sheff Wed and Southampton will improve greatly. Derby will be pushing around top 6 also.

I think near the bottom it will be Barnsley, Southend, Colchester, Plymouth, Ipswich and maybe some others.

I dont see Preston doing as well this season but i think Leeds will be in the top. two.

What about you?

If Leeds do they''ll deserve it.

Add Norwich to the list of relegation candidates you could well be right.

I can see Derby doing well under Billy Davies.  Moving from Preston to Derby might be seen as a backwards step, but Derby are a sleeping giant with a new stadium that they are capable of filling with a bit of success.

That Clint Eastwood fella will score a few for Southend, if they can hold onto him, his goals could keep them up.

I think Stoke and Coventry will surprise a few people too, maybe even play-off contenders with us.

For the automatic promotion spots I think you can look at 2 of Birmingham, West Brom, Leeds, and Sunderland, who got mullered in the Premiership, but still have most of their Championship winning team intact I believe.  

Of course, depending upon investment/acquisitions/management competency/ambition etc, things can change dramatically bewteen now and the start of the season but, as things stand right now, this is how I see it:

Top 8 ( alphabetically )

Birmingham, Coventy, Leeds, Leicester, Preston, Southampton, West Brom & Wolves

Middle 8

Crystal Palace, Derby, Ipswich, Luton, Norwich, Sheffield Wednesday, Southend, Sunderland

Bottom 8

Barnsley, Burnley, Cardiff, Colchester, Hull, Plymouth, QPR, Stoke

Additional comments; I see Birmingham as favourite for automatic promotion, Norwich to finish nearer the bottom of the middle 8 rather than the top, Cardiff a likely relegation candidate.

I''m not sure about City, I want to be optimistic but I am struggling.

I think Sunderland are going to push the top two, as someone pointed out they have a lot of their Championship winning plus players like Stead who know how to play in the lower leagues.  Of Brum and West Brom, I will be interested to see how many players they lose. 

Of last years Play-off teams - Leeds will do well if they can keep their squad together but they have no parachute payments this year and it remains to be seen whether they can afford a squad with wages for the likes of Stone, Hulse, Healy, Cresswell and Lewis.  Preston chances will depend on who they appoint as Davies clearly got more out of those players than other managers would.  Palace - again depends on the manager (I hope it''s Souness LOL!) and how they replace AJ.

Of the rest, I''m backing Southampton to do well.  Burley seemed to have turned things around with some very good form at the end of last season and they have so much talent in their academy it''s frightening!

I, also, am  not sure about how we will get on next year as nothing as happned yet re are squad etc...

However I think that Sunderland will do worse than what we did last season, finishing round about 14th to 10th. I reckon Brum and West Brom will be leading the way at the top by a considerable margain. Now Derby seem to have some stability and a decent manager I can see them pushing for the play offs with a chance of winning the play offs. The other teams I can seee pushing for the play offs are: Southampton and Leeds. Obviously you have teams like Preston and Palace who could be up there (like previous seasons) but that depends which managers they get in and what players are bought. One thing I am worried about though is Ipswich, if they can get a good manager in (Martin Allen has now said he will be leaving Brentford) they could finish quite high up too. With Ipswich I just feel they have good potential with all their up and coming youngsters and if the new manager is given the financial backing from Sheepshagger they could suprise a few...

I think Colchester and Barnsley could well struggle next season and could go straight back down. I never really rated anyone in the Colchester squad and one of the few that i did rate (Neil Danns) is probably now leaving for literally nothing. However I feel Southend will do quite abit better if they hang onto Eastwood for the whole season, and could finish anywhere from just above the relegation zone to about 12th.

In Norwich''s case though, we will have to really make use of the parachute payments and spend the money wisely on our problem positions and fill those positions with real quality players. This year in the Championship is going to probably be the hardest ever so any mistakes will cost a team dearly....

[quote user="Beno27"]

[/quote]

Why will Leeds deserve it????

They play a physical brutish ,uninspired and unattractive game and are particuarly aggressive as well as being bad losers.  As for the fans, the lot who were here last season were the most fouled mouthed, aggressive, obscene cretinous bunch I have ever come across in 40 years of watching football including Man U and Millwall in the seventies.  Remember these are the fans who sent their own manager death threats.  Worthy doesn''t know when he''s well off!

I struggle to think what Leeds deserve but it certainly isn''t promotion but I do agree that Kevin Blackwell, who seems a decemt honourable man , deserves success.  With another club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Beno27"]

[/quote]Yeah, lets write off the season 3 months before its started.Words fail me.

Come on guys, look at last season, mid table but always close to the play off''s.

Can you really see us doing worse next year ?

I don''t know what will happen with us next season, we can do well and I hope we do but I''ve got a horrible fear of us again underperforming.IMO I think Champions will be West Brom, Leeds Second. Play Offs Birmingham, Norwich(hopefully), Southampton and Wolves. Relegation Colchester, QPR and LutonNorwich will meet Birmingham again in the play off final and win.But who knows this league is so unpredictable, anything could happen, I''ll probably be completely wrong.