Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

Norwich City spin machine.

Am I the only one who is constantly amazed at the spin dressed as info that comes out of carrow road these days.

Any transfer "news" has basically no value to the fan.

Its basically a way for the club to "use" the media to let other clubs/agents know that they won`t pay their prices.

As we speak we currently have one signed fit goalkeeper on our squad who has exactly zero first team experience.

Hands up who thinks we will be scrambling around at the last minute brining in loan players and others who are not in

demand by other clubs?

The idea of pre-season matches is to get the new players playing together as a team

On another note what happened to the first team coach they had lined up? or was that just more spin to placate the fans during season ticket renewal.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

Am I the only one who is constantly amazed at the spin dressed as info that comes out of carrow road these days.

Its basically a way for the club to "use" the media to let other clubs/agents know that they won`t pay their prices.

As we speak we currently have one signed fit goalkeeper on our squad who has exactly zero first team experience.

Hands up who thinks we will be scrambling around at the last minute brining in loan players and others who are not in

demand by other clubs?

The idea of pre-season matches is to get the new players playing together as a team

On another note what happened to the first team coach they had lined up? or was that just more spin to placate the fans during season ticket renewal.

[/quote]

Let''s get one thing straight - everybody in the world, and every organisation in the world, uses ''spin'' all the time. We all use spin every time we post on this board. Journalists are spin-meisters. Spin is the norm. So it''s quite perverse to complain about one isolated instance. Get over it!

[quote user="Cantley"][quote user="USAcanary"]

demand by other clubs?

[/quote]

Let''s get one thing straight - everybody in the world, and every organisation in the world, uses ''spin'' all the time. We all use spin every time we post on this board. Journalists are spin-meisters. Spin is the norm. So it''s quite perverse to complain about one isolated instance. Get over it!

[/quote]ONE ISOLATED INSTANCE! -  REALITY CHECK PLEASE!!

One isolated instance - you''re avving a laugh Cantley.

Norwich is the master of spin, and it is ineffective narrow minded spin that I find quite insulting. 

We are talking about a club with a Board who cannot afford to sack the manager who they appointed.

It''s pathetic.

[quote user="Cheeky Monkey"]

Norwich is the master of spin, and it is ineffective narrow minded spin that I find quite insulting. 

We are talking about a club with a Board who cannot afford to sack the manager who they appointed.

It''s pathetic.

[/quote]I see that apart from the "one instance" Cantly is being proven correct.Norwich is by far NOT the master of spin. Just look at the Premiership not to mention the whole Stoke thing with Pullis that has gone very public. Come on get real.To add to that you say the club cannot afford to sack the manager - erm ok then. You base this on what facts? The last I heard the club came out and said that wasnt an issue because we could afford to sack him. Now thats not spin - that would be fibbing wouldnt it and there is a difference between spin and not telling the truth. Spin is to add an advantageous slant to a comment - infact what you tried to do in your post."Pathetic". Well take some advice from the "King of Pop" Michael "Wacko" Jackson and take a look at "the man in the mirror".

It''s pathetic.

[/quote]

Hmmm.  Let me see.  If Norwich City FC using the media to try to get the best deals for itself = "narrow minded spin", then what exactly does this make supporters who will use any piece of gossip they can lay their hands on to hae a go at the club/board/manager without being interested if it is true (eg the myth that we can''t afford to sack Worthy. This gossip seems to have been taken into fact, whereas the truth is that his contract is the sort being much more widely used nowadays as it offers financial protection for all sides), or similarly to use misquotes to make their point (eg "we can''t afford Davenport at £3m" turned into "we don''t even have £1m for Davenport").  

Which is worse??

Where in the media has anyone from the club said that they can afford to sack Worthington. I haven''t seen it.

Where did I hear that they can''t afford to sack Worthington? Why don''t you contact Neil Doncaster and ask him for yourself. It would cost £1m to get rid of him and they a simply can''t afford it.

Therefore I reiterate.

Pathetic.

If people truely believe that there has only been "one instance" then there is little point in having a debate.

Where in the media has anyone from the club said that they can afford to sack Worthington. I haven''t seen it.

[/quote]

Nor have I, but other than hearsay gossip, nor have I seen anything about what you are saying. The point is that it just wouldn''t make any sense for the club to issue such a statement....it would only fuel speculation he was going to be binned, something the club has said won''t happen (yet).

I''m sorry but I cannot believe that Doncaster would ever tell anyone we can''t afford to pay Worthy off, as you imply, if he did he should be immediately sacked for being an idiot on so many levels.  The truth is patently the opposite, any Club can lay its hands on cash if it needs to even if it is via a loan.

I have tried looking for it - maybe one of the webteam has a better idea where its is? But I am sure that this rumour was answered back when it started either by Doncaster or by Munby that suggested that we can afford to sack Worthington contrary to the rumour.I still think that the point has been missed here though. If he had done as badly as a lot of people are making out that he has we would be 17/18th and he would have gone two months ago. The reason why he has not been sacked yet has nothing to do with not being able to afford to.

Branston - I spoke to ND a few weeks back, and Cheeky Monkey is basically right on the ''pay-off'' issue. The figure he quoted of £1M is correct, though I assume this would include Livermore.

The club are not prepared to pay that sum of money because - and I quote - '' A new management team would be no guarantee of success''. True of course, but this is all rather the thin end of the wedge.

If Worthington resigned, then the club would have to pay him nothing, though my money''s on a pay-off pre-christmas if things don''t improve, therefore no new players in the January transfer window...

I would like to point out that this has nothing to do with not being able to pay him off but more to do with the risk involved in finding someone else to do the job.On that note - all of those people who thought Ipswich were being forward thinking in sacking big Joe and trying to get in a promising young and proven manager. Jim Magilton is most certainly the man to replace Worthington!!!!!I am not saying that he is going to be a rubbish manager but I think the argument in that one is most certainly dead.

[quote user="chicken"]I have tried looking for it - maybe one of the webteam has a better idea where its is? But I am sure that this rumour was answered back when it started either by Doncaster or by Munby that suggested that we can afford to sack Worthington contrary to the rumour.

I still think that the point has been missed here though. If he had done as badly as a lot of people are making out that he has we would be 17/18th and he would have gone two months ago. The reason why he has not been sacked yet has nothing to do with not being able to afford to.
[/quote]

ND has been quoted as saying to fans that in would cost around about a cool 1 million to sack the current management team and install a new one, as they don''t feel a change in management guarantees success, thus they arent willing to pay the money to remove him.  Its pretty obvious that if they could chop him for free he would have been sacked after the mass protest and ''Wall of Silence'' before the stoke game.

I was not an outer untl the end of the season, and had given him the benefit of the doubt until then.  But there has been no real improvement in performances on the pitch, we were playing better at the start of the season than at the end.  Maybe we had a little more luck at the end of the season (at home anyway 6 straight wins some of which included the worst football I have seen at Carrow Road in 10 years - QPR game....).  I went over and assessed the decision making over the last 2 years and when you are manager of a club you are getting paid a lot of money to get the decisions RIGHT.  Unfortunatly Nigel has been getting far too many decisions wrong and badly wrong at that in every aspect of management.

To be fair Cantley is right - everyone uses spin.  City are not the worst club for this by far, they play the transfer market like a game of poker and very rarely show their hand.  Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose.  No-one really likes it but it’s the way the world works - how many times do you see an advert for something that costs "less" than £50 and then see the price is £49.99?  How often do you see someone advertising broadband for £14.99 a month only to find in the small print it''s actually only that price for the first x months?  How often have you heard City say they cannot afford a player only to see them sign a week later?  Huckerby and Ashton were both players we could not afford.

As for Doncaster saying that City could not afford to pay of Worthington - I find that very hard to believe.  I have spoken to him and I have to say he is the master of answering a question without actually answering it so I can''t believe he divulged that information.  If he did (and as someone pointed out) he should be sacked

Thanks Komakino and Hampshire Yellow on the support there. I do know someone who has spoken to ND and he has quoted a million to get rid of Worthington.

He didn''t quite say - we can''t afford it.  He said "Would you sack Worthington if it cost you a million, cos that''s what it would cost.", and yes he did mean the whole management team.