Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

NAME THAT TEAM - Brighton (a) 1983

this one was right during the time i knew every miniscule detail about the city squad so getting 10 out of the 11 took about a minute.  my problem is the 7 letter central defender.  not steve walford; not aage hareide.....i''m stumped!

[quote user="nycanary"]this one was right during the time i knew every miniscule detail about the city squad so getting 10 out of the 11 took about a minute.  my problem is the 7 letter central defender.  not steve walford; not aage hareide.....i''m stumped!
[/quote]

Me too ! Tried Phil Hoadley as well.

Anybody got any clues ?

Yep - me too - completely screwed on the 7 letter central defender - has Pete got this right??? Right spelling etc?

It''s soooo frustrating........   but will be equally annoying (and obvious?) when we find out

i believe he may well have been a full back brought in to do a man for

man marking job on one of their wingers , didn;t play too often and he

came from Dereham i believe

Decent sweeper , man marker , but not much else really

I got the centre back - only because I was at the game and I remember him comitting the foul for the penalty. I can see why alot of people haven''t got him, hardly a canary legend. I''ve got them all apart from one of the 7 letter centre midfielders, i bet its really obvious. I got the other centre midlfielder with ginger hair. Any give clues on the other one?

CORRECTION: it wasn''t a penalty, Jimmy Case tugged our centre back back, a foul wasn''t given and he went on to score. It just all came back to me!

[quote user="StimKing"]

I got the centre back - only because I was at the game and I remember him comitting the foul for the penalty. I can see why alot of people haven''t got him, hardly a canary legend. I''ve got them all apart from one of the 7 letter centre midfielders, i bet its really obvious. I got the other centre midlfielder with ginger hair. Any give clues on the other one?

[/quote]

Mmmmm - 7 letter midfielder - think foreigner (gap in name) out of position from defence - still struggling on the centre back despite the clues

Finally got him - cheers StimKing - the clues did it for me (after a little research)

No I still haven''t got it. I assumed you meant the dutchman who played left back. I doubled checked the spelling but it still doesn''t fit. Damn!

Do you mean one of the central midfielders first name begins with an R? I got the centre back that seems to be causing problems - his first name also begins with an R.

no.  central midfielder doesn''t begin with an R.  it''s a dutch fella.  and normally his name is spelt with a C in it but it''s not in this case.central defender....R....thinking....and still lost.

the central midfielder is indeed the dutchman you were referring to - remember - gap in name................

The penalty you refer to was actually conceded in the 1985 milk cup

final by this player the goal in the Brighton should never of stood as

Stim king says, Jimmy Case i seem to remember fouled Paul Haylock in

the build up to the goal.  And the attendance on the day was

nearly 29,000 seems hard to believe compared to brightons recent

figures  .OTBC

i remember squeezing into the terrace at the corner of the Goldstone

Ground , having a nightmare journey through London each way ( no M25

then ), watching Case cheat his way to the winner , when we had looked

good value for a replay and then afterwards , coming out and seeing

NCFC buses lined up on both sides of the road in each direction - was a

bit of a  situation as i recall 

Great day till they scored

and back in the day, the footie magazines (Match, if I remember), spelt his name van Wyck.  and if there''s any point to it, there''s a road here in New York called the Van Wyck Expressway.