Sign in to follow this  
Mook

Foley - crocodile tears

We all agree that the 1st team was poorly coached last season. Limited ideas, defensive mistakes, no free kick routines, poor general set pieces etc ect.

So why is it so strange that the 1st team coach got the boot for doing a BAD job?

I agree Nigel has his failings, but with the players he has bruoght in we should have been playing a hell of a lot better. Purely and simply down to coaching.

Get over it, whinge brigade. We have lost a major contributor to our team''s performance - it might not be the "head on a plate" that you all wanted, but it''s better than nothing.

I''m afraid I have to disagree Mook.

For one, Nigel didn''t bring in quality players as you say - he brought in Thorne, Hughes and Robinson, for one!

Of the other players that were brought in, people like Charlton and Johansson were continuously played out of position, much like Bentley and Marney before them.

Worthy also has a habit of falling out with players - Bentley, Jarrett, Charlton, McVeigh, with at least two of those blasting the manager as they leave - not Foley, but Worthington.

Tactics, substitutions, man-management, purchases, fan-relations, not being pro-active in the transfer market - all of these have been blundered this year, and the buck stops with Worthington.  Sacking one man from the coaching staff will not improve things next year, and this is why we are upset.

Had you visited Colney and watched the training you would have seen that after Christmas Foley was gradually frozen out by Wothington and Dougie Dolittle and that the fist team training was being taken by Keith Webb.

Most contributors to this forum recognise that Steve Foley was unfairly treated and made a scapegoat for the failings of others. My personal opinion was "one out, all out" or strengthen the coaching staff, Director of Football or similar. The decision has been made and I will indeed get over it, I only hope that my club can do the same.

The management team is to blame.  Not just the coach obeying the orders of Nigel Worthington.  There is only one man responsible for the tactics, signings, picking the team and motivation of the side, and that is the manager.  We must be the only club in the land whom would have kept him on after these last two mistake ridden season''s of failure.

He is only still in the job because our board is weak, we are paying the price and if we continue to into next season our chance is gone.

Mook, what you write is technically correct, about the role of a coach and the dire rubbish we saw last year, but from what i understand Mr Foley wasnt allowed to do much coaching, instead Mr Webb took over the role and Mr Foley was a well paid ball boy.

I think the problem that most people are trying to articulate is one of responsibility.  Where does the coaches'' responsibility start, and the managers responsibility end ?  At what point does a poorly coached team become a poorly managed one ?

hey mate, just because nigel is the manager it doesnt mean that he sits on his ar** all day.

nigel does coaching as thats part of his job also.

i think that you are one of these people who dont understand the game.

foley was treated unfairly and yes he probably made mistakes also, dont we all.

it wasnt all him because at the end of the day nigel brought those so called players in.

im fed up with people who are still defending this man.

Will everyone stop saying Thorne is crap? How anyone can judge him on 13 starts after such an injury ravaged season is beyond me. His goal record is better than 1 in 3 over his career, which is better than most strikers. Typical narrow-minded nonsense from ''fans'' - "I''ve seen him enough to know he''s utter rubbish, although I reserve the right to change my mind when he''s had a chance a-la Roberts, Helveg but until then I''ll be completely negative towards him, and I''ll boo him if I want blah, etc, etc..."

Interesting post, but we shouldn''t lose sight of the fact that Mr Foley was an employed member of Mr Worthington''s ''team''.  Being his manager Worthy would have dictated how he wished his coaches to coach.

As many of us, right in my opinion beleive, Foley was made a scapegoat for a poor season in an attempt to apease the fans, it could be that he wasn''t performing as Worthy wanted or he was failing to carry out orders.  Which every maybe true we will never know, speculating isn''t the answer, the fact of the matter is Foley has gone seemingly without much thought for a successor.

Having heard many players speak in the past Foley was certainly held in high regard by the players, and as mentioned before the dissenting voices of outgoing players have targeted NW.

Good luck in your new post, even if it is with the ''enemy''!!!

And the manager is also head coach with the top coaching qualification.  My understanding was that Foleys task was fitness and to be honest we were not as fit this year as the last couple of seasons.

Bearing in mind that he started the season late due to his injuries and had ''reduced responsibilities'' after christmas he didnt have the same impact or opportunity to impact as the other two coaches.

I agree with Mook;  he was part of the problem and deserved to go so I have shed no tears for that; just that he was only ever part of the problem, not THE problem so it does seem a little harsh him coping the bullet.

"hey mate, just because nigel is the manager it doesnt mean that he sits on his ar** all day.

nigel does coaching as thats part of his job also.

foley was treated unfairly and yes he probably made mistakes also, dont we all.

it wasnt all him because at the end of the day nigel brought those so called players in.

im fed up with people who are still defending this man."

I read rubbish, insulting, ill-thought kack like that and think, "what''s the point?".

[quote user="worthy out"]

[/quote]Wheras your eloquence and knowledge shines through so brightly in your post.Give me a break....

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Foley was made a scapegoat.

I have it on good authority from a well respected professional footballer with no NCFC connections that Foley is a very well respected coach. I have yet to hear any confirmation from players that Worthy is of a similar standard. As for Keith Webb and Doug Livermore? Do me a favour!

I wish Foley the best of luck in his new job. They will at least play football in the correct manner even if they are in a critical financial position.

Keith Webb took the coaching of the first team!?!?!?

Is this true? If so it is an utter disgrace.  He has never acheived anything in his role as youth coach and reserve coach.  I get more worried the more I here surrounding NCFC.  Perhaps this explains the ball being lumped up to short and talented strikers all season.

[quote user="Hampshire Yella"]

Keith Webb took the coaching of the first team!?!?!?

Is this true? If so it is an utter disgrace.  He has never acheived anything in his role as youth coach and reserve coach.  I get more worried the more I here surrounding NCFC.  Perhaps this explains the ball being lumped up to short and talented strikers all season.

[/quote]

Easter Sunday morning, Worthington and Livermore on one side of the pitch, Webb taking the session, Foley on the other side of the pitch, acting ballboy. A one off, possibly, I for one would never let Webb anywhere near the first team, but it does explain some of the poor football seen toward the end of last season.