Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Foley Off To Ipswich

Given yesterday''s seperate threads - one listing player''s we''ll boo for being disloyal, another wishing Steve Foley well in all he did - what will fans do now Foley appears to be off to Ipsh*t?

Personally I''ll welcome him back to Carrow Road, as he appears to be a scapegoat, and it was a decision made by our club with little or no planning for how to fill the void.

I think you will find EM that the person who started the thread wishing Steve Foley well in his new job already new where he was going. I''d second that. With Sammy Moragn down there too all this could come back to haunt our rapidly sinking board.

i wish Foley , as a person well, I will however boo him for being connected to them lot down the road

As I would any player or coach or manager ever who has been there

I wish him well, He has a wife and kids to look after and if this means he doesnt have to uproot them good on him.

I doubt I will boo him - there are far better targets at Ipswich than a Norwich City Scapegoat.  I wonder how his side will play - without Nigel''s ''hoof it up to Erny'' influence..

i wish him well, sorry to annoy any of our fans.

he was treated unfairley and made a scapegoat.

you should all be booing the worthless one

I wish him well - I agree with you totally EM that Foley was the scapegoat for the terrible past 2 seasons - the majority of us know where the real problems lie.

I hope we play Ipswich at home really early in the season - becasue i think you would find alot of people would chant his name as a display of anger at the ineptitute of our board

I was not sad that he was dismissed as he was part of the problem of our underperformance last season but I do have some sympathy at him being highlighted by the club as the only problem.   

He had been with the club for a decade so have no hestitation in wishing him well in his new role - whether at ipswich or elsewhere - as that sort of stay with the club is rarely achieved by any employee

[quote] I agree with you totally EM that Foley was the scapegoat for the terrible past 2 seasons - the majority of us know where the real problems lie[/quote]

I am amazed that you would not welcome some form of change in management, even if it''s not the total change you were looking for.  You''re obviously not happy with the way we''re playing, using such emotive language.  Word on the streets is that the England Under 19 coach will be replacing Foley, if it happens, is this acceptable to you and your majority down at your local ?  Or just another example of the "ineptitude of our board" ?  If it''s not acceptable, what would be ?  Scolari as first team coach ?  Nope ?  Let me guess, Worthy Out ?  It is not neccesary to remove the manager to get the team to play well, hopefully we will see that next season.

I think Steve Foley will have a tough job at Ipswich, little or no money for quality, so the team will need to be well drilled and educated by management and coaching staff alike.  But he was a good servant to Norwich City and I wish him well.

By the way, are you a county court judge, or crown ?  Nice to see someone as important as a judge in these forums.

[quote user="worthy out"]

i wish him well, sorry to annoy any of our fans.

he was treated unfairley and made a scapegoat.

you should all be booing the worthless one

[/quote]

Funny how a few months back people disliked Foley, saying he was part of the problem. Now he is gone and its another excuse to have a go at the manager..

My local isn''t big enough for 20 odd thousand......

I do indeed welcome change - but like i said its apparent to most that foley was part of the problem but not the largest part. Who picks the team, who decides the tactics, who has decisions on players in & players out, who gets the praise when things go well - therefore who should carry the can when things go badly ??

I agree with your statement that it is not necessary to change the manager to get the team to play well - but i would argue that the attitude and tactics employed by the manager, along with the type of player he wants to bring here, his obsession with work rate over ability, his desire to play players out of position etc etc -  does have to change if we are to play better - you obviously think he will change but sorry myself and most other people don''t 

I would have liked a better statement from the club regarding Foleys departure.  Something along the lines of why he was let go and not the whole management team, how he was responsible and not all 3 for a season that delivered less than expected, other than "we need to freshen things up".  But it wasn''t forthcoming.  I''m not certain that the majority of fans want Worthington to go, I;ve certainly seen no proof, admittedly it''s a large minority, and certainly a vocal one.

[quote]but i would argue that the attitude and tactics employed by the manager[/quote]

Assuming you mean long ball, it tends to be more prevalent when the opposition have sussed our attacking play out.  It happens in all championship games where there is a deadlock between defence and attack.  I wouldnt call that an attitude, more a side-effect of playing against the stronger defensive units in the championship, with the odd exception where we just didn''t turn up last season.

[quote]the type of player he wants to bring here[/quote]

The good ones - Huckerby, Ashton, Earnshaw, Crouch - those kinds of players ?

[quote] his obsession with work rate over ability,[/quote]

To play football you need to be an athlete, you need to run for 90 minutes with very few breaks to catch your breath.  If you''re not fit, you can''t keep up with the opposition, you can''t break down their attacks, you can''t get into attacking positions and create options when your team have the ball.   Ideally your players will have both work rate and ability.  But you don''t get to express the second without the first. 

Name one good championship footballer that is able to shows his ability without putting the work in.

[quote]his desire to play players out of position [/quote]

Funny that a player is only out of position when he plays badly...

It could be that that ilness may mean he will miss more time.

We cannot afford that.

The impoverished binners cannot afford anything else

Judge, you ask a question, who decides the tactics, etc.etc. You seem to divorce work-rate from ability.  You really have me wondering, Judge,  ability is something we have, ask Chelsea manager Mourino if he would accept a player who had great ability, but does not utilise his energy to put that ability into practice. His team all have great ability, those that sit on the bench have it also,  They also put in the work rate that''s what makes them such a force to be reckoned with.  If they didnt work hard at their game they would be shown the door; that is the motivation!!!.  That''s the benefit of having huge funds at your disposal, it keeps your options regarding the way you handle your players, wide open.  Worthington has a board who keep tight reigns on his budget and the wage levels.

With regard to players bought, with the odd exception, we seem to have bought people with a question mark over them, and that''s before they don their kit.  They seem in the onset to have the right credentials, and manage to preach the right media messages and theories, and are sadly found wanting when the chips are down and we want their noses to the grind-stone.

According to the pundits Worthy''s team had all the skills necessary for instant promotion, seems to me they didn''t apply them.  IMHO it''s the footballers/tradesmen who have the skills and the know-how and if they do not put those skills into practice on match-day then the manager or the coaching staff have no control over the results.  Imagine if you will, Kasperoff the Russian master chess player shouting to his manager in the crowd "What''s the next move mate"?

Norwich City have difficulty turning up, they have difficulty keeping awake for the first 20 minutes into a game.  Imagine them as mountain climbers,  IMO they would never make the first 50 ft judging by their performances over these past two seasons.  Perhaps we might recommend that Worthy gets rid of half the playing force. You would probably say that it is the staff and Worthy who has to motivate them,  after over sixty years experience in industry, let me say that there is only so much you can get from people who are work shy and lack drive and ambition. 

Judge! me-thinks we could speculate for ever about the shortcomings of the NCFC (side) because that''s all it is .We sadly have on our books a group of individuals masquerading as a team.  The trouble as I see it they don''t really want to play for one another, and you can tell them how to play, but if there is no team ethic then they are doomed to fail, unfortunately. Thanks for the post I found it interesting.