Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

A Sign?.

Is the lack of transfer activity, really a sign that maybe the board have lost a bit of confidence in old NW?.

Could it be that they think they might need the cash for a new manager to spend in January after they sack NW in October or November this year, when things go t*t up, as they no doubt will?.

This  ''carrot'' could then be ''dangeled'' at anyone new coming in as his promotion war chest. Yes, the board seem to back NW to some degree publicly for next season, but they don''t seem too keen to back him financially as yet, do they?.

Is that good or bad, or am I reading too much into this lack of action?.

You could well be right wizard.

Maybe the board have been thinking over the last weeks and are compromised over the issue. They don''t want to sack Worthy, but are facing up to the likelyhood that he will have to go early next season if things continue the way they have been.

My money is on the fact that x amount has been put aside for a new manager if NW doesn''t deliver the goods on what will almost certainly be a modest budget - which I don''t believe he will. Therefore the board will reach a financial settlement with Worthy if he doesn''t resign.

It could be very interesting to see who gets first team coach position, as they could well end up being the next manager of NCFC, thus saving a few pounds in the process...

Without a doubt.

For the last 2 or 3 years there has always been transfer rumours and news xoming out of the club at a very early stage. However, this was when we were doing well as a club on the pitch (and after relegation).

However, surely if the board don''t trust him to spend money, he shouldn''t be in charge of the club?

No its not, they''re probably sitting around a pool somewhere with Nigel laughing at how Sven adopted Nigel''s tactics of having a huge open space in central midfield, long balls out of defence and have all players standing static at all times except when its drinks time.

Nigels'' past history is to sign players as close to season start so that they introduce themselves to each other while walking out of the tunnel. There''s no point paying extra wages for playing in the warm up games when you can waste time in the season at no extra cost finding out who your teammates are and what you are supposed to be doing (which is normally different from what you did for your previous club).

Ah, if only all our wishes came true...!!!!

Can''t see it happening really - the World Cup''s on at the moment so most football related activity is no doubt focussed in that area...

I can''t see anything happening on the transfer front until at least a week or so after the end of the competition.

Sam Allerdyce, Marton Jol and Psycho Pearce are all at the world cup on Media duty, but i bet they are on scouting missions themselves too!

Worthy might not be doing media work but is he drinking Sangria in his back garden or is he at the world cup watching, first hand a potential Gem who might be the answer to all our problems?

The former is my guess. Either that or Dippy Doug will be reccomending Ghana''s toilet Cleaner tonight.

jas :)

[quote user="The ghost of Brian Moore"]Could it be you''ve got nothing better to talk about so are clutching at some seriously dodgy straws? Go out - the sun''s out and it''s nice and warm - come back when there''s something worthwhile posting.[/quote]

if thats the case what are you doing inside posting?

In a word - No

Based on this theory it would mean that the majority of championship clubs have no confidence in their managers as there''s not much transfer activity going on in the leagues aside from a few bosmans and deals already in place from last season

I notice Coventry City signed centre-back Mikkel Bischoff on a free transfer from Manchester City today.  I guess our Nigel is looking at signing World Cup players this year only [;)] Its ok though, only seven teams have actually signed players from our division yet I think.

Coventry
Burnley
Sheff Wednesday
Southend
Preston
Birmingham
Leicester

The main reason for the lack of transfer activity is obviously down to the World Cup but there is still a an ominously stagnant and complacent feel about the club.  I have nil confidence in this board.

[quote user="City Till I Die"]not near alton are u hampshire yella?[/quote]

I reside in Norwich now, used to live in Chandlers Ford near Eastleigh however.  Went paintballing once up near Alton, shot Luke Goss (of Bros fame) in the back - he happened to be on my team!!!

What would be the point of signing anybody at the moment?

It makes sense not to sign anybody untll as late as possible. Anybody signed now would just be sitting on thier backsides watching the worldcup whilst drawing down a huge wage bill....

It makes sense if you apply a little thought to the subject.

Get a grip wizard.

Even Chelsea have only signed two players so far. Have you noticed ... the World Cup is on. Clubs/managers/agents are pre-occupied, players are chilling on far off beaches and the entire transfer market is stagnant. Also, you should know from experience that Worthy has the habit of suddenly, out of the blue, parading two or three new faces at a press conference. He is a man who shuns the spot light and negotiates and operates without media hype or intrusion - for the benefit of this club.

I doubt there is much money to spend but you can bet whatever is in the pot will be spent and Worthy is working daily on that behind the scenes.

Lighten up!

It makes sense if you apply a little thought to the subject.

It also makes perfect sense if you sign players now, thus giving them as much time as possible to ''bed'' down before the start of the season.

Thats if you apply a little thought to the subject BJ!.[;)]

People also seem to neglect the possibility that we might already have players lined up to sign, just that the paperwork won''t be done until closer to next season.

Still if it gives small minded people something to complain about...

Worthington on lack of transfer activity...

There''s been a lot of work going on through phone calls and different contacts being made, but as much as phone calls are going in, there''s not a lot of business being done at this time," he told the club''s official website.

"I''m expecting things will start to happen over the next two to three weeks. All over it''s been very quiet, mainly because of the World Cup and because people are away on holiday.

"But, if we can be patient, I''m sure there will be some business done soon."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/06/06/13/manual_110316.html&TEAMHD=nationwide1

What is there to bed down with? Nothing is happening at the club at the moment...

When pre-season training starts then I agree new sigings should be brought in. At the moment it would just be a case of paying additional wage bills for little or no return.

[quote user="canary to the core"]

[quote user="The ghost of Brian Moore"]Could it be you''ve got nothing better to talk about so are clutching at some seriously dodgy straws? Go out - the sun''s out and it''s nice and warm - come back when there''s something worthwhile posting.[/quote]

if thats the case what are you doing inside posting?

[/quote]

Sunburn.

[quote user="BigJon"]

What is there to bed down with? Nothing is happening at the club at the moment...

When pre-season training starts then I agree new sigings should be brought in. At the moment it would just be a case of paying additional wage bills for little or no return.

[/quote]

moving house, sorting out schools for children, getting used to the area....  there are a lot of things that could be gotten out of the way so as to put the job of playing football for norwich at the forefront of ones mind and start the season hitting the ground running.  With other things on ones mind doingt the job in hand becomes that little bit harder.  Look at how poor Hughes, Robinson and Etuhu were last season, maybe if they had been settled they would have done a better job for us.

Its an interesting one Wiz.

Bearing in mind the great Wortington, Munby and even Delia herself stated that one of the key reasons for our poor start last season (not mentioning the poor middle and end) was that players didn''t settle / gel you would have thought they would want to get players in asap to ensure this didn''t happen again - if they don''t then obviously they haven''t learnt from their mistakes.

It is also obvious from the past 2 seasons transfer activity that we leave things too late to get deals done and its a dangerous strategy as you could end up with just the dross.

I personally feel that we need to be brave this season - more than any other, for a number of reasons. Its obvious where the key weaknesses in the team are; right side midfield, right back, centre mid, big centre forward - lets go and get players for these positions. I accept that by going in early you may have to pay abit more for them, but at least you are getting the player you want/need, rather than ending up with players that can "do a job" (sound familiar eh Nige!) in those positions rather than excel.

Secondly whatever side of the divide you sit, there is extreme unrest within the NCFC supporter base, the board need to show us they mean business this season, anything less and i''m sure they won''t be shown the patience they were last season. 

Finally the board and the manager know we need to hit the ground firing on all cylinders this season and get off to a fantastic start, not only for our promotion chances, but for the supporters and atmosphere in the ground aswell.

So lack of activity in the market is puzzling along with not appointing a coach who may be able to attract people hear with their connections. There is no point buying someone for the sake of it and if the targets don''t want to come thats another problem -thats why i think we will have to pay over the odds to get the players we want - but too me (and before I get slated - I know I don''t hold the purse strings) - its got to happen - if it doesn''t then you may well be right Wiz....

The only sign at this moment looks like saying  ," MORE HOOFBALL THIS WAY " , next season folks.!!!

Another team, picks up players:

Cardiff have signed former canary target Michael Chopra for £500,000  and ex Leeds youngster and currently Barnsley Captain Steven McPhail on a free as he is out of contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/5069272.stm

A third of championship sides have now recruited players for the new season:

Coventry
Burnley
Sheff Wednesday
Southend
Preston
Birmingham
Leicester
Cardiff