Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Worthy selling Hucks?

There''s a strong rumour, and it is JUST that on the Offy site, that the ''worthless one'' is about to sell Darren Huckerby to raise some much needed transfer cash!.

I''m tempted to say that if this comes off, then so am I, permantly!.

It would also signal total ''non ambition'' by the board, and write off the comming season at a single stroke.

Has anyone else heard about this, or can back up this rumour, and if so, your thoughts on it.

When you say Huckerby isnt worth anything now - he is easily still worth the £750k we paid for him and is as easily as good a player if not better than Akinbiyi/Horsefield. Not that the football market is ever that comparative. Rooney or Drogba people - they cost about the same!Anyway I doubt he will go. It would be like Worthington selling his best ever aquisition. At the moment Huckerby is the only player to offer something different in our team.I would be more inclined to believe the rumours surrounding MacKenzie going to Palace to be honest - not that I believe them either but I do think they are more believable. All they need to do is teach him how to fall over convinsingly and they have a ready made replacement to AJ - and add to that Leon is from around there and it was his first club.I doubt we will see to many more players go now with the exception of maybe a striker/midfielder.

Yeah and we''re signing Van Nistelroy as a replacement.

Wizard, its transfer silly season, these rumours always turn up and 99.9% turn out to be bobbins.

Darren Huckerby has rejected

a move to Reading. The Norwich striker told Nigel Worthington he would

not even think about leaving the Canaries and wants to end his carrer

at the club. This may not sit well for the Norwich City manager as he

want him away before he can bring anyone in. Footy rumours.

If we don''t get promoted this season I doubt we could afford his wages.  Nor other high earners at the club like Andy Hughes, Rob Earnshaw and Dickson Etuhu.

If he is sold I fear the Worthy Out chants may start pre-season.

IMHO Hucks is a player who does his own thing ( Worthy says  "Hucks cannot be coached") and any side with him in becomes a one string fiddle, we have often witnessed this, opposing sides mark him out of the game, IMO every one has to play to his tune, and again the team has to function around him and his interpretation of the game, therefore as regard game plans etc we become a completely unbalanced side where the cohesion needed in a well rehearsed footballing side is missing, as well as the other players who do not make use of spaces that have become open, if Hucks chooses to be on song.  I have witnessed on the odd occasions when Hucks has been missing we have often started to play football in a more convincing manner.  I will agree that he produces a stir of adrenalin on occasions, but to me from a team point of view he creates more problems than he solves.  You see, I believe that Hucks thinks he is Norwich City and maybe there are other players who have become disenchanted with his methods and his attitude.  His voice has also been heard on several occasions saying that in his opinion the youngsters are not ready to come through and are not good enough, and the fact that he has made those opinions known cannot make for the introduction of youngsters who will have the confidence to perform.

If worthington sold Huckerby with no decent motive, then i would seriously consider some kind of action. Unless he was sold with a big transfer fee, 1.5M +, ( he is our 2nd best player for christ sake) or hucks demanded a move( which wont happen) i will not be happy.

Action would have to be taken by the fans, if worthington thought that selling our most creative player was a good idea. A Huckerbyless norwich does not bare thinking about and i''m hopeful that even worthless wouldnt go that far.

I personally think that''s the biggest load of tripe I''ve ever heard, beelsie.

The reason we''ve become a one-string bow is because Worthington doesn''t seem to think we need any width on the right. If we had any real threat on the right wing not only would Huckerby function better, but we wouldn''t rely on him as much as we do now. He gives us pace from midfield which we are otherwise lacking.

Hucks is right that the youngsters aren''t ready, Rossi Jarvis was annihilated when he played at right back against West Ham in the Cup. However, Worthington has to shoulder some blame for that as it''s not Rossi''s best position.

I''m not a regular reader of this board, but I''d assume that you''re fairly pro-Worthy in your stance. I think you''d probably value someone who can do a defensive job on the left, rather than someone like Hucks who can unlock a defence and beat any defender on his day.

I almost think people take Hucks for granted, we''ve seen him beat players so many times that we expect it of him, and when he does do it he''s only meeting expectations and not surpassing them.

If we had a Glen Little on the right, we''d have been in the play-offs without a doubt.

Having only one outlet anywhere on the pitch was always going to cost us vast amounts of posession, hence putting the defence under pressure which is undoubtedly a factor in our GA column.

[quote user="beelsie"] IMHO Hucks is a player who does his own thing ( Worthy says  "Hucks cannot be coached") and any side with him in becomes a one string fiddle, we have often witnessed this, opposing sides mark him out of the game, IMO every one has to play to his tune, and again the team has to function around him and his interpretation of the game, therefore as regard game plans etc we become a completely unbalanced side where the cohesion needed in a well rehearsed footballing side is missing, as well as the other players who do not make use of spaces that have become open, if Hucks chooses to be on song.  I have witnessed on the odd occasions when Hucks has been missing we have often started to play football in a more convincing manner.  I will agree that he produces a stir of adrenalin on occasions, but to me from a team point of view he creates more problems than he solves.  You see, I believe that Hucks thinks he is Norwich City and maybe there are other players who have become disenchanted with his methods and his attitude.  His voice has also been heard on several occasions saying that in his opinion the youngsters are not ready to come through and are not good enough, and the fact that he has made those opinions known cannot make for the introduction of youngsters who will have the confidence to perform.[/quote]

i have read some strange things on this board but this is the strangest yet. hux is our only quality player without him we do not create anything.

Did you mean Iffy site rather than Offy wiz?  I am sure this was on the dodgy rumours site and that feels about right.    That would solve the problem of how to use him but is surely professional suicide?

Forgive me for asking, but why did you write this? On what are you baseing the idea that Worthers is even thinking of selling Huckerby?

I sense mischief-making, or that you have sorely misinterpreted something that you''ve read/heard...

But then I could be wrong, and that you know something that clearly we all don''t...

i dont think Hucks willbe sold.. but it is an intertesting sit-ee-ay-shun with him.

He''s 30 now and will no doubt start to slow up. He uses his pace to get wide and beat people to get crosses in.

If he slows up too much how will this affect his role in the team? will he be used in a more central midfield role? in which case he needsto learn to tackle and head, Quickly!... will he even be in the team at all? his pace is his biggest assest and any sign of a loss of pace could lead to him being dropped.

Perhaps a sale might not to be too far from the truth.. but certainly not yet id think.

jas :)

Well said SFET, Just because I see football differently to you you reckon that my opinion is the biggest load of tripe you''ve heard. 

This is the very type of  over-reaction that we hear on  these boards at times.  To a degree you are right that I am in favour of keeping Worthy on, yes, but not because as you say, I am pro Worthy but because as I have said before on these boards, he is the boards appointee and they should decide when it is time for him to go.  I will not dwell on Mr Worthy''s fors or againsts as my opinion has been well aired on these boards in the past.  You may not have noticed but I have indicated that we could be a far better footballing side without Mr Huckerby and  I have also indicated previously, that with two strong  right sided midfield players and a couple of wide men who can get up and down the pitch, and who have defensive abilities we would be better balanced side without Huckerby.  I have taken also into account Hucks age and for a man whose main attribute is speed, this year as far as I am concerned will be his swan song.  Best wishes.

I wonder if this rumour has arisen because Greeno''s anticipated move was almost a done deal but isn''t going to happen after all.  If this summer''s transfer budget was based on the proceeds of that sale, where is the money going to come from now?

If the budget WAS calculated on that basis, what the hell has happened to this year''s parachute money? 

There is no way on earth we should be forced to sell Hucks or anyone else in order to bring in new players this summer.

I''m in two minds about this. On one hand Huckerby is the teams talisman who makes us tick and is just about the only thing that resembles exciting at CR these days.  However, he is an ageing winger who has probably 2 seasons left at the semi-top of the game so why not cash in now and make some money on him.  I can see some logic behind this even if its from Worthless !!

But I would just go the former as Worthless would no doubt find away of wasting any monies raised on the sale.  

[quote user="king of latvia"]wizardless still trying to cause problems on theses boards.[/quote]

I am but the messenger, trying to inform and keeping the posters on here up to speed.........................nothing more!.

You really should trust me more.

Personally I reakon this rumour was posted by a worthy outer nehow - to stir up some trouble and this sort of thread.Hux wont go, or be sold due to his value in terms of placating the fans, and winning matches.

On what plannet do people see Etuhu and Hughes as our top earners?As for Huckerby - he has earnt mega bucks before and taking a wage cut to come here points to the fact that money isnt the issue here. As for possibly selling him at a later date - he only has a year left on his contract so its now or January or nothing unless we decide to get a new contract for him.As for pace - some players never loose it, and he will be 31 this season and does not look to be slowing up that much. To be honest he could loose two yards of pace and still be quicker than half the players in this division. And actually his pace works well with his skill. I am not about to say that he is anywhere near as good as good old Zola was but he has the skill that takes him past players and wins him that extra two yards head start.Personaly I would not be worried if he saw his career out here. He is as loyal a player as we have right now and believe that he helps a lot behind the scenes. Maybe we should give the captaincy to him and see if it inspires the team. I think he should be the next club captain for sure.For me he has been the brightest spark to sign for us since the original relegation from the premiership under Chases rule. Ashton was good but in the sence of achievement and commitment Huckerby steals it for me. A legend no doubt and at least when he gets the ball you actually get to watch a little bit of football.As for not being a team player - erm yeah, maybe not at badminton . . . .

I dont think wiz is stirring - simply bringing to this site a report however fictional - and wiz highlights that - already found on a couple of other sites already.

Hucks was modelling the new home shirt at the launch last night.

If there was any prospect of him leaving, would the club really take the p*** to that extent?  Answers on a postcard please.

As Mystic Megson has pointed out, I can''t see Hucks would have agreed to be photographed wearing the new shirt if he was planning on leaving the club. I think this rumour can be put quietly to bed now.

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]As Mystic Megson has pointed out, I can''t see Hucks would have agreed to be photographed wearing the new shirt if he was planning on leaving the club. I think this rumour can be put quietly to bed now.[/quote]

Maybe  not just yet !   I think it is just one of those  close season rumours ,  but lets suppose  its true ,     Hucks has settled here , his kids go to school here ..... if he was sold,  which club   would  he go to ? [:-*]    ...... just a thought [:P]

I think you have your answer 1st Wiz on the headline page of the Pink Un - even if Worthy did want to sell him good old Hux would just hang up his boots - loyalty or what