Sign in to follow this  
mr miagee

pullis to stoke-sturrock to plmouth-worthy to wed

bare with me........tony pullis is set to rejoin stoke as new manager this week and sheff wed boss sturrock is favourite to return to plymouth where he is a cult hero and his family are still settled since moving down from scotland,this opens up the managerial vacancy at sheff wed where it is believed worthington will go taking mansfield boss peter shirtliff as his no2, ok you can breathe again, this is what i have picked up from scouring various internet sports desks info sites and seems very plausable and the whole managerial roundabout could be done as early as the middle of next week.

I have long thought that the Wednesday job becoming available would be the one thing that could bring an end to this sage as it would allow Worthy to leave without losing face. I would therefore love this to be true although it all seems rather speculative to me!

[quote user="mr miagee"]

bare with me........tony pullis is set to rejoin stoke as new manager this week and sheff wed boss sturrock is favourite to return to plymouth where he is a cult hero and his family are still settled since moving down from scotland,this opens up the managerial vacancy at sheff wed where it is believed worthington will go taking mansfield boss peter shirtliff as his no2, ok you can breathe again, this is what i have picked up from scouring various internet sports desks info sites and seems very plausable and the whole managerial roundabout could be done as early as the middle of next week.

[/quote]Your managerial roundabout falls down in one vital area..... who the bloody hell is coming here????????

[quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="mr miagee"]

[/quote]Your managerial roundabout falls down in one vital area..... who the bloody hell is coming here????????[/quote]

Livermore to be promoted.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="mr miagee"]

[/quote]Your managerial roundabout falls down in one vital area..... who the bloody hell is coming here????????[/quote]

[/quote]Neither a welcome or believable outcome. (I hope)

[quote user="oh huckerby"]dowie to the dole office!!![/quote]

dowie has done nothing other than prove himself to be a damn good manager,

what no-one seems to have thought about it why would Sturrock want to leave Weds for Plymouth? The potential at Wednesday is massive compared to Plymouth

In answer to your point Rossi, it''s just possible that Sheffield Wednesday are encouraging Sturrock to look for other opportunities while the club observes what managers surface that may lead to a finish better than 19th. 

Must be me? But i can''t see that Dowie is any better than Worthy myself , other than he jumps up and down and pulls angry looking faces that players will only respond to for so long.

When Worthy takes us back up you will all love him again, memories of a goldfish thats all i am saying

Just remember there are 23 other teams trying to do the same as us we have no divine right to promotion.

Stop the bickering start the supporting

I myself will KTF

We will only go one way with Worthless and thats down , and i would not forgive him if he did get us up , in fact it would be all the more reason to get shot of him , he has already made a fool of himself once in the Premiership.

what has Dowie done Worthy has not, apart got to the play offs this year, very fortunately, and then were an embarrassment against watford, apart from that records quite similar. Dont get me wrong Worthy should have gone after the Fulham no show imo, but if we going to replace him, lets step up a level or two.

He took an oldham team going nowhere to near the top of the table and was poached by palace whom were heading down, he took them to the play-offs that season and got promoted. He was relegated from the premiership at the first time of asking, and subsequently took Palace to a play-off place where they were beat??

Also quite a lot of people rate him as a good manager, and he is reguarly linked to other jobs.

2 top 6 finishes in 1 and a half championship seasons, including 1 promotion. worthless has 2 top 6 finishes in 4 and a half seasons, including one promotion.

as for percentage of games won - well you better take into account that around 1/3 of dowies games are premiership level comnpared to around 1/6 of worthys.  hence why his win ratio isnt has good.

And an overall win ratio including time at other clubs worthy''s record is far worse - he has still lost more than he has won.  Dowie on th eother hand has done a decent job at two clubs palace and Oldham - thats a track record - Worthy left Blackpool heading for relegation (and they got relegated).

[quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="mr miagee"]

does it really matter aslong as worthington has gone?!

As much as I dislike Ian Dowie, I would prefer him to be our manager than Nigel Worthington. I know it''s not really that possible because bigger teams will attract him.  Dowie gets Palace playing good football, he plays youngsters e.g Tom Soares, Ben watson and is positive and he posesses something Nigel needs... honesty. Dowie tells his team when they have done wrong. I have never heard Dowie talk Nigel worthington''s usual gip.

Worthy took us to a play-off against brum, which we should have won, he got us promotion, we won the championship with ease, he lost the plot when he got found out with the big boys, Dowie has done nothung imo to show he could do any better than worthy. All the charlton fans ringing talk sport this morning certainly dont want him, before you say its a derby thing, if he was that good they would not give a rats behind, like some of us would have been glad to have Burley here.

If Alan Curbishley doesn''t go to Middlesbro I would love him here with David Williams as his assistant. Dowie would be too similar a replacement in that he is also a relatively junior manager who could go either way: fast track to the top or fast track to oblivion.

Anyway, its so unilkely that its almost pointless pressing the keys on the board. I see no signs of him going and see reports of him signing another average utility player. Just great.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Worthy took us to a play-off against brum, which we should have won, he got us promotion, we won the championship with ease, he lost the plot when he got found out with the big boys, Dowie has done nothung imo to show he could do any better than worthy. All the charlton fans ringing talk sport this morning certainly dont want him, before you say its a derby thing, if he was that good they would not give a rats behind, like some of us would have been glad to have Burley here.
[/quote]

Palace certianly play attractive football, we don''t. He has achieved more than Nigel Worthington.  In a season where palace were near the bottom and he took over and got them promoted. We all know what happened last year but look how palace responed this year. They got in the play offs. Say no more.

stoke have been refused permision to speak to pullis but hes ready to quit to return-sky sports news. This merry go round could well be on!

[quote user="Genral Juninho Steggius Cataphractius"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]Worthy took us to a play-off against brum, which we should have won, he got us promotion, we won the championship with ease, he lost the plot when he got found out with the big boys, Dowie has done nothung imo to show he could do any better than worthy. All the charlton fans ringing talk sport this morning certainly dont want him, before you say its a derby thing, if he was that good they would not give a rats behind, like some of us would have been glad to have Burley here.
[/quote]

Palace certianly play attractive football, we don''t. He has achieved more than Nigel Worthington.  In a season where palace were near the bottom and he took over and got them promoted. We all know what happened last year but look how palace responed this year. They got in the play offs. Say no more.

[/quote]

On WOTB there are quotes from Palace fans, thier opinion of Dowie was that his only tactic was to play long balls to two short strikers, made very poor signings and kept picking his favourites regardless of thier form..........sound familiar?

[quote user="Genral Juninho Steggius Cataphractius"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]Worthy took us to a play-off against brum, which we should have won, he got us promotion, we won the championship with ease, he lost the plot when he got found out with the big boys, Dowie has done nothung imo to show he could do any better than worthy. All the charlton fans ringing talk sport this morning certainly dont want him, before you say its a derby thing, if he was that good they would not give a rats behind, like some of us would have been glad to have Burley here.[/quote]

[/quote]We have played attractive football under Worthington and as for CJF yes Dowie did get two top 6 finnishes in three seasons. But actually so did Worthington - sure you can say four seasons but he did it within the boundries of three. I would also suggest that Palace only just scraped into the play-offs the first time round with a squad of 30+ players where as Worthington achieved his first play-off finnish with at least ten players less than that and with youngsters like Russel.Add to that out of the two top 6 finnishes we reached the play off final and one the championship. And to add to your argument about the premiership - they ended up with how many points? As I have said before you could argue we drew to many in the premiership just as easily as we lost too many.Again I think this suggests more that last season was not a success because we seemed, for various reasons, to take a step back not forwards.

[quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="mr miagee"]

[/quote]Neither a welcome or believable outcome. (I hope)[/quote]Iwan for manager!

"Must be me? But i can''t see that Dowie is any better than Worthy myself , other than he jumps up and down and pulls angry looking faces that players will only respond to for so long."

Tadley Yellow you need to get your facts right mate if you actually compare Dowies record to Worthingtons you will find that Dowie is the better manager of the two.

Here is evidence of this below:

WORTHINGTONS RECORD

2000/2001 - AVOIDED RELEGATION                  - GOOD
2001/2002 - REACHED PLAY-OFF FINAL            - GOOD  
2002/2003 - MISSED OUT ON PLAY-OFFS          - POOR
2003/2004 - WON AUTOMATIC PROMOTION     - EXCELLENT 
2004/2005 - RELEGATED FROM PREMIERSHIP  - VERY POOR 
2005/2006 - MISSED OUT ON PLAY-OFFS         - POOR

OVERALL SCORE = 3/6

DOWIES RECORD

2003/2004 - WON PROMOTION FROM PLAY-OFFS - GOOD

2004/2005 - RELEGATED FROM PREMIERSHIP      - POOR

2005/2006 - MISSED OUT ON PROMOTION          - GOOD

OVERALL SCORE = 2/3

So Tadley Yellow theres the proof in the short time that Dowie has been at Palace, he has achieved more success and progress with Palace than Worthington has at Norwich. Worthington has been at Norwich and has had times of success, however he is now back to square 1 again due to the fact that he destroyed a team at the start of last season capable of going straight back up. If he hadn''t of got rid of Mulryne, Holt, Edworthy, Jonson then he wouldn''t have to be rebuilding and looking for cover now. So Worthington is a complete pratt he''s shot himself in the foot. 

Oh and one more thing if anyone turns round and says that Jonson is useless they are wrong because I believe that he would of done a job for us last season, you have to remember the fact that he needed to adapt in order to find his feet and get used to English Football. After all Colin has been given time and i think if he can break into the first team then we will see the best of him due to the fact that he would be fully focused on football having settled down in Norwich.