Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

THE GHOST OF NORWICH PAST.

How many of you attended Ottakars Bookstore today to see one of the finest footballing talents this Country has ever produced and arguably the greatest footballer ever to pull on a Norwich shirt signing copies of his autobiography? I refer of course to Martin Peters.

The signing ran way over time but to the end Martin had time to talk about all matters football to each and everyone of his fans. He clearly still lives and breathes the game. I confess it was an emotional encounter for me as the experience brought back so many memories of my teenage years and Martin kindly signed my book in memory of a close friend who went to every game with me and loved watching Peters play. For those of you too young to remember this player, imagine this. England win the World Cup in Berlin against Germany and Frank Lampard scores. Frank then makes a big money move to another Club who one day decide he is too old and, barely past his prime sell him to Norwich for a pittance. Wages are not an issue. He goes on to be an outstanding player for the Canaries, helping to keep them in the Premier League and after three years plays in his own testimonial against the current Norwich team as a member of the re-assembled World Cup team. Fantasy? It probably is in this day and age, but that is what Peters did.

I first saw him from the open River End when I was still at primary School playing against Wales for the England under 23''s. I can recall his prescence on the pitch and my thoughts at the time that no one could get near him and he seemed to have so much time.

He came to Norwich and we sang ''There''s only one Martin Peters as he showed his ghosting tecnique and picking the lock methods. What an intelligent player and what a true gentleman.

I recall him drifting unseen onto a forward ball to head over the advancing keeper from outside the 18 yard box as we gained an early point at Trent bridge in the year Forest walked away with the league. I recall how he would meet a corner at the near post and flick it over the keeper into the far corner. I recall being amazed at his ability to bend a ball up and over a wall and I can remember queuing with him and the likes of kevin Reeves at a Grantham chip shop after a 2-2 draw at The baseball ground after Derby had been 2 up. Do Clubs still stop the team bus for fish and chips on the way back from games or does the dietician forbid it?

I admit, I have lost my love of modern football. I am pleased supporters on waiting lists will get the chance to buy season tickets, good luck to them. I fear this current England team is too lacking in depth to win the World Cup. But Martin Peters reminded me today of what our great national game used to be.

I hope it is the same for most supporters today but having seen real talent and splendid men entertain on the football field then have to go home and dig their own garden, paint their own house or get a real job when retired I cannot feel the same way about so many pampered, over-paid prima donnas, effective athletes or foreign mercenaries who corrupt todays game.

I didn''t think I would post on here again but I couldn''t let Martin Peters visit pass without mention. In a game of overused adjectives he truly was great, quality and different class.

Thanks again Martin.

An excellent and very interesting post, Rudolph. Sad to say I never saw Peters play for Norwich, which I''m sure is a huge gap in my NCFC supporting life. I can''t claim to be too young to have seen him, it''s just that I didn''t become interested in football until about 1983 or ''84.

A good post Rudolph. I would have been inclined to say "a really good post Rudolph" except, at the end, when you add the line "I didn''t think I would post on here again.....", thereby inviting praise from all those who feel inclined to say, "Oh Rudolph, we''ve missed you. Please don''t go." For a thinking man, you''ve pulled this stunt too many times, dressing it up in various shades of ugh!!! If you are going to post then do so. If you are going to go, then do so like a man without the added praise-inducing rhetoric.

I  moved to norfolk in 1976 at the age of 14 and was a

liverpool fan of sorts, like many glory hunters i suppose  only

saw  them on the tv . My  new class mate asked me if i would

like to go and see a game at carrow road as his dad was taking him for

a treat i said yes ,the date was 2 oct 1976 vs Newcastle and i

discovered  Martin Peters and Norwich City , which city won 3-2

with Peters scoring twice .That was the start of a thirty year

rollercoaster ride being a city fan ,he must be my favourite city

player of all time and the football wasnt bad either ,(are you

listening worthington)OTBC

Good post Rudolph, your remarks can only do a good player and a good man like Peters, praise, well deserved!!!

For your pains YC, that last remark from you, did not do you justice either, cos! I, for one know you''re better than that, you nor I cannot be sure of the motive, or the writers need for our support.

I don''t want this to turn into a post about Rudolph Hucker, please.

By the way, the autobiography is an excellent read and I would commend it to everyone who loves real football.

Wonder where the ''Norwich Way'' came from? Well it seems to have come from the same origins as a number of good passing football clubs ethos and that is out of Europe via the passion and commitment of Ron Greenwood and on to his listening players who then became coaches. In our case this was through John Bond and Ken Brown. It is a golden thread which runs through our game. It may not win you the league but it might win you cups on the European and World stage.

I now know what Sir Alf meant when he described Peters as being ten years ahead of his time. He was the total footballer.

They were the days that started our fame as a footballing side to be the envy of many.Martin Peters leading the way for us to pick up other stars only too glad to sign for us .If he was available in todays transfer market,we would not be in the hunt and he would''nt come anyway. The fee being in millions and our style of football making us a laughing stock.We are like the Northpole ,everyone knows where it is but very few people want to go there.We are certainly Worthless in more ways than one.Years of hard work destroyed by one mans ego trip and an inept board ,who''s main concerns are corner infills and catering.

[quote user="streakey"]They were the days that started our fame as a footballing side to be the envy of many.Martin Peters leading the way for us to pick up other stars only too glad to sign for us .If he was available in todays transfer market,we would not be in the hunt and he would''nt come anyway. The fee being in millions and our style of football making us a laughing stock.We are like the Northpole ,everyone knows where it is but very few people want to go there.We are certainly Worthless in more ways than one.Years of hard work destroyed by one mans ego trip and an inept board ,who''s main concerns are corner infills and catering.[/quote]

Here''s a definition for you, Streaky:

obsessive

1. Not being able to think about anything else.

2. Having one thought or pursuing one activity to the absolute or nearly absolute exclusion of all others.

Look at yourself, Streaky, you can''t even write a post about Martin Peters without finding yourself obsessing about Nigel Worthington. Get a grip, man.

As a matter of fact, I believe Peters only came to us because of our West Ham connection, John Bond and Ken Brown having been team-mates.

Never the less Cantley he came and was a pleasure to watch each week  wearing a Norwich shirt giving 100% , lifting everyone ,players and fans alike .He opened the gates for others to follow ,Chivers ,Channon ,Royal, Hartford who in todays climate we would not be able to afford or attract .That was the past and from where i sit  here and now, being an Englishman wearing a baseball cap or not, the chances of those days returning to Carrow Road  under the present regime are looking more remote in every game we play. Do you think we have a chance of signing David Beckham at the end of his career and are the board capable of this type of coup.?Was that less obsessive for your taste, because next time i will email you a draft copy for your approval before i post.! Who is in the lead now or is it a draw in our war of words .kindest regards Streakey.

You have it right my old mate rudolph , you have told it as it is , also streakey has his finger on the pulse ,what a sad lot the K.T.F. are blind faith ,more like the people of germany during the 30s and 40s when  the world was crashing down around them they had that sort of faith as Chicken,Chunkey, Herb , Load of squit, etc. I wonder what they will say when he is kicked out ?