Sign in to follow this  
rich

need to move on davenport asap

I really hope that were on the move for Davenport because we can''t afford to sit around and wait for the best players to pass us by, like last summer. The player enjoyed his loan spell, seemed to play very well and all in would be a perfect, I just hope nigel isn''t caught sleeping.

Am I the only one who didn''t see what all the fuss was about with Davenport, yes he was okay but didn''t make a massive improvement defensively and I''m sure there are players out there on par with him at half the price

Agreed. Now if we could also just get a right back, cover for left back, a central midfielder, a right winger and a centre forward, we might even be in with a shot of the playoffs.

I totally agree, Rich. It was good to see a player, particularly a loan player, with that skill and commitment. Go get him.

Couldn''t agree more, with shacks our central defence would be sorted for years and more than capable if we actually went up again.

However, I cant help think that if we were interested we would have approached them before now and agreed something (maybe even January). The fact that they have released him leaves it open for everyone to come and make an offer.

Unless of course, someone has made an offer and Spurs are opening it up to see if anyone is prepared to better it?!?

I wouldn''t be against signing Davenport, but I would if were for £1m as has been mentioned. Considering the fact that he played on the left side, where Shackell plays, it doesn''t seem like an area of the team that needs strengthening the most. Why spend £1m so that Shackell can sit on the bench when there are other areas that need covering first such as a 2nd striker, RM, cover for Safri, cover for Hux, an attacking midfielder and a right back. If we could address these areas and have enough left over to buy Dav then by all means sign him up.

Don''t forget that we also have Spillane who should make the step up this season as well, although I wont be holding my breath.

[quote user="ncfc4prem"]Am I the only one who didn''t see what all the fuss was about with Davenport, yes he was okay but didn''t make a massive improvement defensively and I''m sure there are players out there on par with him at half the price[/quote]

I think he would be a good long term partner for shackall, not doherty. Our defence was quitel leaky when the 2 played together, wasnt it QPR and luton especially (cant remember). I would be pleased if we signed him because of his potential but for me it would be him or docherty not both for the first X!. So NCFC, i do sort of agree with though, but he has the ability we just have to use it the right way.

he only played left side because doherty. can''t play left. It would be perfect for hoof ball if we signed a centre back. Doherty could play up front and win headers for earnie.

I would love to see passing football but it could be effective with some1 like doc

[quote user="ncfc4prem"]Am I the only one who didn''t see what all the fuss was about with Davenport, yes he was okay but didn''t make a massive improvement defensively and I''m sure there are players out there on par with him at half the price[/quote]

I thought his performance at home against Luton was one of the best performances by a city player last season, he was absolutely superb.

And playing on his wrong side as well as I''m sure he is right sided and thus would compliment shacks nicely

Much as I would like to see us sign him, I would be horrified if we were to spend £1m on a centre back, when there are other areas crying out for attention before there........

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]Much as I would like to see us sign him, I would be horrified if we were to spend £1m on a centre back, when there are other areas crying out for attention before there........[/quote]

Sums up my thoughts exactly..

[quote user="fat lip"]

I thought his performance at home against Luton was one of the best performances by a city player last season, he was absolutely superb.

And playing on his wrong side as well as I''m sure he is right sided and thus would compliment shacks nicely

[/quote]

That''s quite ironic given that his away performance against Luton was one of the worst performances by a City player last season, too! But I agree, other than that night at Kenilworth Road, he was solid and would make a welcome addition to the squad.

What I find most interesting about this thread is that everyone who has mentioned signing Davenport and said he''d make a good partner for Shacks, not our "player of the season" Gary Doherty.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]Much as I would like to see us sign him, I would be horrified if we were to spend £1m on a centre back, when there are other areas crying out for attention before there........[/quote]

Never has  a truer word been said.  Centre half is the least of our worries at the moment.

Dav was quality when he played for us, but if he was to come to Carrow road and push out our brightest talent Shacks then I couldn''t agree with it. but  if he was brought in to replace flem that would be excellent! who has played his fair share of games considering that he''s not now one of our first choice centre backs. Can Shacks play right back?? I think he played his first game for us in that position or move to doc up front. I think he would be a welcome addition to the squad but we also need a right winger too!!