Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Bothroyd after yound Div 2 Striker.....

Sorry to bring him up again, but it seems watford are close to signing him for their survival push. Now then Nigel, 12 months after releasing him he is wanted by a prem club. All the fans were suprised, he was suprised but just because he had confidence in himself and scored goals Worthy said cheerio. He scores goals in the lowerc leagues, and oh look the talent most NCFC fans new thst he had has been recognised by a prem club. That prem clubs manager is the man who would have looked after Crow in his time at Carrow Road , he obviously rated him so why did nobody else on the coaching staff.

Also, Another Worthy reject has made his way back to the same league as us. Paul Hayes has worked his way back up the leagues, first impressing with Scunthorpe, earning a move to Barnsley and bingo he''s inm our league next year. I am not saying he will set the championship on fire, but he, like crow is another talented youngster who was given the elbow without having a fair chance. Please Nigel, learn your lesson now as we have some talented youngstewrs who in a year or 2''s time could be doing well against us.

Yep, think everyone knows we should never have got rid of him, apart from our man. Ill reserve judgement until a deal is actually confirmed, I never trust internet sites, but if it does then ill be very interested to see how he performs.

"Paul Hayes has worked his way back up the leagues, first impressing with Scunthorpe, earning a move to Barnsley and bingo he''s inm our league next year"

He seemed a good player too. But remember who else has been promoted from league one this season and was discarded by us as a youngster. CHE WILSON! Goes to show theres a huge difference between Divisions one and two.

Can anyone confirm this is actually happening.  I can find nothing on any official or "trusted" sites to suggest Watford really are going to sign Crow.  If he does though - good luck to him.

Even though I have defended Worthy over the release of Crow I think it''s true to say that in hindsight we should have kept him and loaned him out for a year.  He would be back with City now having scored a few goals and we would either have a more experienced and better player on our hands or at the least, a saleable asset.  All managers let players go that maybe they should not have but it happens.  Man U let Beardsley go, Arsenal let Andy Cole go and the list goes on.

Importantly for City though is that Crow''s success should be noted by Worthington in regards to Jarvis and Henderson.  Worthington has kept the two because clearly he feels they have more potential and are better players full stop.  However by Crow playing a full season and scoring goals he now has the upper hand over them.  Jarvis and Henderson either need to play much more (and as Strikers) for City or a loan club needs to be found where they will get games because at the moment their "growth" as footballers is being stunted.  In particular, Henderson needs games up front, most of his games have been right midfield and we are never going to know if he is good enough until he has had a run in a team as a striker.  I would suggest though that we find that out BEFORE Worthington releases him not after.  Jarvis just needs games in general and if Worthington will not play him yet then he must send him on loan.

[quote user="Danno"]Losing Danny Crow wasn''t wholly NW''s fault. He was given a choice of keeping Ryan Jarvis or Danny and he chose Danny. Which one would have you chosen?[/quote]

That just is not true Danno.  Danny Crow was on £300 a week, or £15,600 a year.  As far as the playing budget goes this amount covers maybe a week of Hughes, Etuhu''s and Thorne''s combined wages.  As Neil Doncaster has said, the playing side of the club is entirely Nigel''s responsibility.  It was his choice to dump him.

Also may I add Crow did not score for 8 games initially at Peterborough, he since has been scoring reguarly, this is more games than Ryan Jarvis has started at NCFC sice his first appearance 4 years ago!!  (and probably more than Hendo has had up front as well.....) Jarvis has 3 goals to his name, but without opportunities how can a player improve.....

God this is getting boring. Crow was linked to Watford ages ago, now it''s slow football news season it makes sense that any football site will reheat old news. Yes Crow has done well at League Two but the standard is pretty low in comparison to the Championship, if Crow goes on to the top level then by all means you can say it was the wrong decision. But then football is full of players who get released and then make it elsewhere.

As for Hayes, his goal record for Barnsley last season was incredibly average.

Well this is a catch 21.Danny Crow would not have scored 17 goals this season if he had not been released and given a regular place in a team. He was not going to get that at Norwich and so in turn would not have been worth £250k if the rumour is to be believed.Add to that the fact that he is inbetween Henderson and Jarvis in age and that both of those have more honours to their names at youth levels than Crow.Having said that next season I do feel that Henderson and Jarvis need more of a run out to see if they are up to it. Its about time Henderson proved if he is a great player or whether he would be best off following in Crows footsteps.I dont think this is another example of Worthington gone wrong - Crow was sent out on loan and was not seen as a starting player there so you have to ask why would Worthington think otherwise. Obviously at Peterborough they gave him a chance and he forced his way into contention and has sccored 17 goals - well done to the lad. He has got time on his side like Paul Hayes to prove himself and move upwards.The problem is unless they get regular games how can you expect them to prove themselves or have the chance to adapt to the level required? In all honesty when you have the likes of McVeigh, Huckerby, Earnshaw and McKenzie its going to be tough for you whatever.For me though I would expect the likes of McVeigh to really press on this season - make the right wing berth his own, or even in a five man midfield play just in behind the striker to help on the break etc. A bit like Scholes. If he cant do it week in week out then wave goodbye at the end of the season.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Also may I add Crow did not score for 8 games initially at Peterborough, he since has been scoring reguarly

[/quote]

Yes you may add that. How about also adding that if Worthington had

selected him and he didn''t score for 8 games you''d have been calling

him and Worthington every name under the sun.

You hypocrisy is astounding, frankly.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Also may I add Crow did not score for 8 games initially at Peterborough, he since has been scoring reguarly

[/quote]

Yes you may add that. How about also adding that if Worthington had selected him and he didn''t score for 8 games you''d have been calling him and Worthington every name under the sun.
[/quote]

to be fair Herb, I was not complaining about Thorne until a fair way through the season, when he looked off the pace and to be frank, just plain not good enough.

And fair enough I probably would be whinging about worthy if the case you stated was the case - it has taken 2 years of strange decisions and many appalling signings this year for me to question players coming into the club - something I never used to do.

As for £250,000 Chicken, what on earth are you talking about we received nothing, Crow was freed and had to look for another club.  for someone always trying to talk about facts and evidence you do seem to make a lot of stuff up.  maybe I misread your post however.

Chicken said of McVeigh "If he cant do it week in week out then wave goodbye at the end of the season."

you forgot to add: 

" and Worthy can sign another talentless clogger to replace this skillful player whom possibly was our best player this season in the games he actually played"

CJF: you wrote:

As for £250,000 Chicken, what on earth are you talking about we received nothing, Crow was freed and had to look for another club.  for someone always trying to talk about facts and evidence you do seem to make a lot of stuff up.  maybe I misread your post however.

The £250,000 is what Watford are/were supposedly going to offer Peterborough for Crow, not what Peterborough paid us. Even I, with no interest in this topic other than to read posts where everyone''s bashing everyone else for having an differing but valid opinion, managed to understand what Chicken was trying to say.

Do try and keep up mate... *winks*

Danny Crow or old has been Peter Thorne ? bit of a no brainer really . Yet more proof that we have a brainless piece of wood managing our team.

bad business dispensing with crow in my view.  he scored regulary for the reserves, now he''s gone who else does?  hendo looks like a league 1 player to me.  given boothroyds ability to spot talent so far, he may have uncovered a gem - good luck to them both if thats the case.

If we will not pay 15k a year to a youngster like Crow then we dont know what we are doing and are just a bunch of cheapskates.What is the pupose of our academy then,just a big white elephant or tax loss. Perhaps thats part of the reason Aidie moved on as he could see lots of things wrong that he would''nt be able to change.Mr Jarvis ran Fakenham Town F.C .Worthingtons son played for Fakenham Youth, make your own conclusions.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

Yes you may add that. How about also adding that if Worthington had selected him and he didn''t score for 8 games you''d have been calling him and Worthington every name under the sun.
[/quote]

Ashton played [with Hux!!] and didn''t score for 11 games or 16.5 hours, I don''t recall anyone calling him every name under the sun, they quite rightly laid the blame where it belonged

Yeah but theres a slight difference between a striker who has not played before going games without scoring, and a striker who is proven going games without scoring.

And Herb is right, if Crow had gone 8 games at the start of his Norwich career without scoring, based on our crowd last season he would have been booed out of the team, and the manager would have been lambasted. Just look at Henderson..

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Yeah but theres a slight difference between a striker who has not played before going games without scoring, and a striker who is proven going games without scoring.[/quote]So which one shows Worthington in the worst light, it''s a difficult one to call isn''t it? A proven goal scorer [in the Prem] who can''t score for Norwich in the Campionship or a potential Prem goal scorer, who left on a freebee because Worthington didn''t or couldn''t handle is attitude

[quote user="Trent Canary"]And Herb is right, if Crow had gone 8 games at the start of his Norwich career without scoring, based on our crowd last season he would have been booed out of the team, and the manager would have been lambasted. Just look at Henderson..[/quote]

I don''t agree with the booing of henderson, but he looks like a striker pushed out to the right wing when he plays.....

All of this may or may not be true, but ultimately it doesn''t detract from the fact that letting Crow go is starting to look like yet another piece of calamitous managerial misjudgement. Everybody, including football managers are entitled to the odd mistake over things like this, particularly if they are borderline cases, but why Worthy couldn''t see the potential in this lad whilst even the most casual supporter could is worrying to say the least, particularly when viewed in the context of the disturbing pattern of good players he has unceremoniously dumped over the last  twelve months and the dubious ones he has brought in to unsuccessfully replace them.

Thats the point though CJF. Henderson has been poor from what I have seen of him, but he is played out of position, so the anger should be directed at Worthy. It Certainly isnt Hendos fault, and its certainly not for a lack of trying. But thats the thing about football, during our championship winning season Henderson was booed, but as the team was doing well no one would criticize the manager, he was "Nigel Worthington the football genius", as sung on many occasions. And as Iwan testifies in his book, the poor lad was in tears after our loyal fans started booing him. But thats football.

John - Well Ashtons poor scoring is down to the terrible service he was getting. So thats down to Worthy. Although It did seem as though Ashton wasnt putting in the effort he could have been.

As for Crow. Well if Jarvis goes on to be a star then the decision will be vindicated IMO. But as neither have had the chance we dont know right now. To be honest I think we should have kept him, but I dont see him in training every day, and I dont think ive seen him play save for a substitute performance (Against Liverpool?) so cant really comment. I hope he does go to Watford, so we can see how good he is, however dont be surprised if its just one of those rumours. But as Boothroyd worked with him at Norwich (I presume?) then he may have spotted something we didnt.

Totally agree with this thread, Crow should never have been freed.  £300 a week for the 2003/2004 acadamy player of the year....  How much do we pay some of the useless journeymen at our club at the moment?

Would he have done a worse job than 33 year old lower division player Peter Thorne has?  Its a fair comment that Nigel for whatever reason does not give youth a chance.  And when he has done it has been under dubious circumstances and even when young players have played well they are often dropped out of the side for the next match - often not even getting a place on the bench.

I find his use of youth players surprising shall we say....

Welcome to the board mate. Agree with all you say. I see no reason why Thorne was brought in, when we have players like Jarvis and Crow available.

Even if Jarvis gets a chance and plays poorly Ill still be happy to an extent, at least we will know whether he or not he is any good!

Gentlemen, please don''t use rumours as a stick to beat the club and its management, firstly, we need to wait and see if Crow goes to Watford and then whether he plays or not and finally if he can score goals at Premiership level.

Before you label me as a KTF or WO, I have opinions that bridge both camps, therefore I would prefer, at the moment to have a foot in neither. I am a Season Ticket holder and have been watching Norwich since 1970, only on a regular basis in the last few years since I gave up playing.

There are a lot of players released by clubs, most just go down to League 1 or 2 and if they work hard, get the breaks and some even develop later than their peers, then they come back up. Some players play local league and some give up the game. Notable Norwich releases John Fashanu and Dion Dublin, lesser, Jamie Cureton and Adi Akinbyi. Club staff make joint decisions, maybe the final decision comes down to the manager, but the decisions are based on a whole range of factors. Anyone ever see Danny Crow at Colney? What about the attitude that he displayed to the training and to the staff, could that be a factor? Given players of comparable ability, the one that displays the better attitude is more likely to be retained, this happens in all walks of life, not just football.

I cannot agree that the decision be labeled as calamitous, a mistake in hindsight, it happens, get over it and move on. It does seem that Worthy makes more than his fair share of mistakes and perhaps he needs to have a "Director of Football" or the equal to assist in decision making as well as a new coach. BTW anyone hear anything about a new first team coach? seems to have gone very quiet, maybe they got to the bottom of the list.

[quote user="Bernard Robinsons Paperboy"]

Gentlemen, please don''t use rumours as a stick to beat the club and its management, firstly, we need to wait and see if Crow goes to Watford and then whether he plays or not and finally if he can score goals at Premiership level.

Before you label me as a KTF or WO, I have opinions that bridge both camps, therefore I would prefer, at the moment to have a foot in neither. I am a Season Ticket holder and have been watching Norwich since 1970, only on a regular basis in the last few years since I gave up playing.

There are a lot of players released by clubs, most just go down to League 1 or 2 and if they work hard, get the breaks and some even develop later than their peers, then they come back up. Some players play local league and some give up the game. Notable Norwich releases John Fashanu and Dion Dublin, lesser, Jamie Cureton and Adi Akinbyi. Club staff make joint decisions, maybe the final decision comes down to the manager, but the decisions are based on a whole range of factors. Anyone ever see Danny Crow at Colney? What about the attitude that he displayed to the training and to the staff, could that be a factor? Given players of comparable ability, the one that displays the better attitude is more likely to be retained, this happens in all walks of life, not just football.

I cannot agree that the decision be labeled as calamitous, a mistake in hindsight, it happens, get over it and move on. It does seem that Worthy makes more than his fair share of mistakes and perhaps he needs to have a "Director of Football" or the equal to assist in decision making as well as a new coach. BTW anyone hear anything about a new first team coach? seems to have gone very quiet, maybe they got to the bottom of the list.

[/quote]

I can''t agree, we had such a small squad at the start of last season, How can a guy on 300 quid a week and apparantly our youth player of the season a couple of years ago be let go of so easily.  We even loaned strikers last season!!! 

As for training - well we have heard the comment numerous times before - "They look fantastic up at Colney" - apparantly Clint Easton was one of the best players in training.  McVeigh isnt a good trainer - he does th buisnesss on the pitch - when the ball isnt being lumped up to him....................

IF WORTHLESS CANT TELL THAT SAFRI IS A BETTER BET THAN HOLTY IN TRAINING THEN WE ARE ALL DOOMED

Hughesey is a good trainier - but he is a terrible player - utterly hopeless...

Totally agree Bernard Robinson. Its part and parcel of football that young players will get released by clubs, some will have the desire and ambition to prove the manager wrong and eventually make it, others will settle in the lower professional leagues, whilst the majority will fall into non-league football or give up the game.

All managers release players who have evetually come good, Atkinson with David Platt and Ferguson with Savage being prime examples.  If you think how many young players have been released by NW is his career here and how many have actually remained in league football the percentage is very small.  Can anyone name any players, other than Crow and Hayes who were released and are still in league football?

Yes, NW should give youth more of a chance but to critisise him for releasing one player, just on the basis that he may get a transfer to a Premiership club, is unfair.

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yeah but theres a slight difference between a striker who has not played before going games without scoring, and a striker who is proven going games without scoring.[/quote]So which one shows Worthington in the worst light, it''s a difficult one to call isn''t it? A proven goal scorer [in the Prem] who can''t score for Norwich in the Campionship or a potential Prem goal scorer, who left on a freebee because Worthington didn''t or couldn''t handle is attitude[/quote]I think its best not to add more fiction to a story that is possibly fictional anyway. We don''t know the real reasons for Crows departure and we can only assume it was more to do with the fact that Henderson and Jarvis are both already in the squad and one slightly older and one slightly younger. We do not know that it was anything to do with attitude.Infact this whole attitude thing is rediculous because we know that Worthington has been quite public in the past when it comes to things like players attitude. So I dont think it has much to do with that. For example Darren Kenton, Paul McVeigh, Damian Francis and there are more. McVeigh is still here although he required more of a kick up the backside than anything else. And Worthington publicly announced that he wanted to keep Kenton and Francis. Both of whom went on to better clubs at the time (according to the league tables).Interestingly one is now a free agent without a club and the other is currently languishing in the reserves of one of the said "bigger" clubs and looks likely to drop down a division to get a game, unless Shef Utd add him to their list along with every other player going at the moment!

what gets me is that the Posh, a club in Crisis, are selling Crow for next to nothing because they need the money to stay afloat whilst Barry "plonker" Fry makes a meal of it.

Had Danny Stayed with us we could of commanded a much bigger transfer fee, he''d of been involved this season and i think could of done very well... Adie Boothroyd knows a good player and will get Danny doing well... we could of got 500,000-1 Million pounds for him.. so another Andy Hughes or Desmond Tutu...

money we could of used to strengthen the squad!

I Reckon Danny wanted to play regularly, or be involved more in the first team and Worthy didnt like it, that a young enthusiastic kid wanting to do well, who was local and supported the club.. was telling him what for.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

I Reckon Danny wanted to play regularly, or be involved more in the first team and Worthy didnt like it, that a young enthusiastic kid wanting to do well, who was local and supported the club.. was telling him what for.

jas :)

[/quote]

I reckon you may have hit the nail on the head Jas prob another one who dared to have an opinion and ended up being snubbed ie Bently.  Appears you cannot disagree with the "guffer"

Aidy Boothroyd really liked Danny as  a player when he was with the youth team something to do with the fact that he always worked his socks off and listened and was always willing to learn.  I personally hope he does go to Watford as he was imo always the better striker from the youngsters ie Henderson and Jarvis and he deserves to get on.