Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Can we hang on to our Earnie?

Two more International goals yesterday for our ''little Earn'', plus what he''s got for us in the league, begs the question: Can we hang on to him?.

Personaly, and to be blunt, I don''t think we can. This is Norwich we''re talking about here, and remember, the parachute payments stop at the end of the season. Oh, and don''t say ''but he''s under contract'', so was Cashton, remember?.

It''s those little words ''Prudence with ambition'' which worries me, as I''ve always taken that to mean ''Prudence with sod all else''!.

Any thoughts?.

After this season I doubt we can afford his wages if we are still not promoted, I think he''s got at least one more season with us while we can still afford to keep him. He may do an ashton and jump ship in the January sales but I doubt he will while we continue to give him the wages and games he wants. If the midfield can play to his strengths I think we''ll have a good season, I still think we need another striker though.

Yes, I would have to agree with you there. I assume you don''t mean this summer, but if we don''t go up this season, which we probably wont, then I can''t see us being able to hang on to him. He will want to go and we will want to sell him simply because he will be our only player worth anything, apart from maybe Green.

The board have already said that big changes will be made to the playing staff if we don''t go up, which makes their continued faith in Worthington all the more strange.

This is our one chance to get back and I just can''t see it happening with this manager. Bleak times ahead.

Oh well, at least we are signing another goalie!

The danger time will be in the January transfer window, Wiz. If Earnie scores freely in the lead up to January, then a few Premiership scouts could be sniffing around to really test his loyalty to City. Sad to say, but if this happens I think we''ll find that Earnie will be sorely tempted to move onwards and upwards!

Two good poacher''s goals yesterday for Wales in yellow and green! But while we can afford to pay his wages, and another club doesn''t come in with a bid higher than what we paid for him, Earnshaw will be a City player. He will probably be with us for at least another full season.Remember Earnie joined us by accepting a move down from a Premiership to the Championship. Despite his fairly respectable goal scoring record in the Premiership, no top flight clubs were willing to stump up the sizable amount of cash required to obtain his services when he

requested a move away from West Brom. I can''t see any Premiership clubs coming in for him, unless one of the newly promoted clubs want to gamble £4 million+ on him.  Having sold Andy Johnson, only Palace probably have the kind of cash needed to lure Earnshaw away. But why would he want a sideways move?  Earnie wanted first team

football, and here he has got it (for home games at least!).When the parachute payments cease the situation may change. Especially if city are still struggling in the Championship. As the club''s financial situation worsens, the club may feel forced into selling for a lower price as the club''s outgoings begin to exceed its incomings. But that''s a situation we could be facing with many of our players on higher wages. That''s one reason why this really could be a make or break season for Norwich City.

I don''t think we can either. I think we''ve got another Ashton- type situation on our hands.

My money is on Earnie staying until the transfer window in January, unless we are in a strong position in the league - which won''t happen under Worthington, as I fear another re-run of last season is on the cards. I which case Earnie will become restless - Like many others.

All this means enjoy Earnie while you can, though I wouldn''t completely rule out him being sold pre-season if the offer was big enough.

I told Doncaster recentely that as much as I like Earnie, at this moment in time he is at the wrong club. I still stand by that view.

He will stay for a season at least IMO. I think he is going to score a hat full next season for us to be quite honest, and is probably the only good thing about last season.

He''s getting less than Hucks so I think the point is mute.

Can we hang on to Safri is more of a worry, Fenebache are still

interested according to my Instanbul Canary friends (as in Fenebache

not Norwich)

Once you have been to the premiership, like us fans Earnie will be looking to go there again probably without us.Scoring 2 international goals has certainly put him in the window again,3 to 4 million not a huge amount to a premiership club for a proven striker.The main problem for Norwich ,other than Worthless is being able to buy and assemble a squad with the ability of getting us promotion.The added bonus of keeping us there for a second season with some extra signings a must have.All the sign''s are just pie in the sky at the moment i''m affraid.

er, this was Wales and he scored 2 against Trinidad!!

He knows he will do well in this league and will bang em in for us. But to call him a leading international striker is a bit much at this stage.

i think we can hold on to him. I dont think we can make a profit on him and nobody else seemed interested last january, plus he wont be scoring much with all the hoofball.

Yes we can becorse hes good and importent and woud''nt have come if he did''nt want too stay and help us win promoshun.

Wizard the chances are that Earnshaw probably will leave. But then on the other hand who''s to say he won''t take a pay cut. You only have to look at Huckerby who thought he would do such a thing, Earnshaw could do the same. This would be one way of keeping him.

By the way we need to stop all this doom and gloom business because if we carry on this way then we will stay in the Championship. In order for Norwich City FC to have the best chance of getting back to the premiership we need to be a unit as fans, and try and forget last season. I know there are alot people who won''t agree but we have to forget or else we will go nowhere, the poisonous atmosphere will funnel onto the pitch and the players will not perform to their full capabilitys. The key is for all of the players to enjoy playing football, e.g. look at Earnshaw he enjoys playing football so the rest have to do so, if they hope to return to the Premiership, the same goes for the fans they have got to somehow enjoy it, or else we have no chance.

[quote user="CANARY BRAVEHEART"]

Wizard the chances are that Earnshaw probably will leave. But then on the other hand who''s to say he won''t take a pay cut. You only have to look at Huckerby who thought he would do such a thing, Earnshaw could do the same. This would be one way of keeping him.

By the way we need to stop all this doom and gloom business because if we carry on this way then we will stay in the Championship. In order for Norwich City FC to have the best chance of getting back to the premiership we need to be a unit as fans, and try and forget last season. I know there are alot people who won''t agree but we have to forget or else we will go nowhere, the poisonous atmosphere will funnel onto the pitch and the players will not perform to their full capabilitys. The key is for all of the players to enjoy playing football, e.g. look at Earnshaw he enjoys playing football so the rest have to do so, if they hope to return to the Premiership, the same goes for the fans they have got to somehow enjoy it, or else we have no chance.

[/quote]

I aint forgetting last season.  When the season ends with our manager sticking the boot in I am afraid he himself has helped keep peoples minds on the fact he has done a terrible job these last 2 season''s.  I am not forgetting and if we start poorly I will again be calling for his head in the ground.  The Clown better hope he doesnt lose one of the first couple of home games.....

As  for Earny, if we are in a similar situation to last season come xmas I am expecting another Ashton situation.  And Earny aint the type to go quietly like Ashton did neither.  Erny wants Premiership football, and if we arent looking like getting it then he will be off.

I am sure Earny will stay loyal to us for the time being. We would be stupid to accept any bid unless it would be well in  excess of 5million which aint going to happen. He will be happy with us for next season unless we show no promotion credentials which would lead to him relaising prem football wont happen with us and with interest in him he could well move on. I hope and expect us to be challenging at the right end next january and so there will be no reason for him to move on. He will stay and will be banging in the goals next seaoson. I reckon 25 at least.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

He will stay and will be banging in the goals next seaoson. I reckon 25 at least.[/quote]

That depends on whether he''s got to spend the season chasing long balls falling out of the stratosphere with snow on them. If they''re the tactics Nige starts with next year, expect a hasty Ashton-esque departure. Earnshaw''s perfectly capable of finishing top scorer in the Championship next year, if, IF he gets the service, and the tactics are measured to play to his strengths.

This is a valid point in principle but, then again, before he joined us everybody was saying he would be desperately unhappy with lack of service and wanting away but this never happened and he finished the season with a great goal to games ratio. Perhaps we should avoid jumping to conclusions - I think he could be great for us next season.   

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="CANARY BRAVEHEART"]

[/quote]

I aint forgetting last season.  When the season ends with our manager sticking the boot in I am afraid he himself has helped keep peoples minds on the fact he has done a terrible job these last 2 season''s.  I am not forgetting and if we start poorly I will again be calling for his head in the ground.  The Clown better hope he doesnt lose one of the first couple of home games.....

As  for Earny, if we are in a similar situation to last season come xmas I am expecting another Ashton situation.  And Earny aint the type to go quietly like Ashton did neither.  Erny wants Premiership football, and if we arent looking like getting it then he will be off.

[/quote]

Well Citizen Journalist Foghorn if you stay that way then all you''ll get nowhere in life. ENJOYMENT is the key i can''t emphasize this enough, LOOK at Earnshaw he enjoys himself and he has achieved great success in doing so, so surely if we do the same it will help the atmosphere and the players will perform better. In order for this football club to move forward we have to forget the past. You can''t totally criticize Worthington, yes he did damage a team last season. But he is making an effort to repair the damage, by looking to recruit players that will provide cover, we only have 1 Left Back and Worthington has looked at that as we saw with Clive Clark and other areas that need cover, so for this you have to give him some credit in doing so. I believe that if Worthington continues to recruit players by the principle that whatever position you are short of in numbers his chances of bidding a return to the Premiership will be considerably higher, than if he just recruits players willy-nilly without bothering to see where we are short in numerous positions. Look at the way he is doing his transfer business, theres a clue as to whether he will have a good season. 

Well duh!!  you mean as we only have 1 left back we are looking to sign a backup left back cos we let 2 left backs go this year...  I now understand why he is on £15,000 a week coming up with moments of genius like that.  Does this mean he may sign a real right winger too?? I guess it takes 3 years to make that kind of decision when you are on £15,000 a week.

Earnshaw is an Ambitious player - he wants to play PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL, not an ambition our board and manager seem to have their eyes on at the moment as players like Hoofin Hooves, Old Man Thorne, Unscouted Colin and Lethargic Etuhu are being signed.  If we arent looking like getting it as with last season and Earny is scoreing the goals then it wouldnt surprise me if a few premiership club come sniffing around again. 

If that happens  and a team bid 3 Million he will be off.  He is still fairly young and ambitious, unlike hucks whom is pushing 30 now.

[quote user="CANARY BRAVEHEART"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="CANARY BRAVEHEART"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well Citizen Journalist Foghorn if you stay that way then all you''ll get nowhere in life. ENJOYMENT is the key i can''t emphasize this enough, LOOK at Earnshaw he enjoys himself and he has achieved great success in doing so, so surely if we do the same it will help the atmosphere and the players will perform better. In order for this football club to move forward we have to forget the past. You can''t totally criticize Worthington, yes he did damage a team last season. But he is making an effort to repair the damage, by looking to recruit players that will provide cover, we only have 1 Left Back and Worthington has looked at that as we saw with Clive Clark and other areas that need cover, so for this you have to give him some credit in doing so. I believe that if Worthington continues to recruit players by the principle that whatever position you are short of in numbers his chances of bidding a return to the Premiership will be considerably higher, than if he just recruits players willy-nilly without bothering to see where we are short in numerous positions. Look at the way he is doing his transfer business, theres a clue as to whether he will have a good season. 

[/quote]

Braveheart - I giev Worthington no credit whatsoever for any transfers he brings in this summer as he will only be plugging the gaps he should have done last season and the players he needs have been spelt out to the club by so many fans on messageboard, articles, letters in the paper etch that he cannot fail to recruit in the right positions this time. Even if he gets some good players in he still has a long way to go before he will get any credit from me.

Having said that i note that despite having been linked with about 5 or 6 players so far we have still not been linked with a right winger. If he does not get one in this summer then frankly it beggars belief!

no chance at all.. a bad start to the season will see him go AWOL or not be bothered to the point he gets the "Andy hughes" treatment from the fans...

I have never been a fan of Robert Earnshaw, and probably never will.. its good he is here scoring goals but id doubt he knew loyalty if it kicked him in the nuts to be honest...

Also, it makes a statement... WBA were in desperate need of a Saviour last season.. yet still sent Earnie packing... to  a team in a Lower Division.. not a premiership side.. Bryan Robson came out and said that Earnies attitude stunk and that we wer basically welcome to him. Earnie wasnt well thought of at WBA for his attitude during matches.. he only wanted his pay check during games and as long as he got it he didnt need to try...

I can see it going horribly worng.. the fact we signed him when no one else wanted him, regardless of his undoubted talent speaks volumes.... we have got someone who just wants to get payed, put the ball in the net to win the fans over, then stick 2 fingers up at then when he gets fed up.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

no chance at all.. a bad start to the season will see him go AWOL or not be bothered to the point he gets the "Andy hughes" treatment from the fans...

I have never been a fan of Robert Earnshaw, and probably never will.. its good he is here scoring goals but id doubt he knew loyalty if it kicked him in the nuts to be honest...

Also, it makes a statement... WBA were in desperate need of a Saviour last season.. yet still sent Earnie packing... to  a team in a Lower Division.. not a premiership side.. Bryan Robson came out and said that Earnies attitude stunk and that we wer basically welcome to him. Earnie wasnt well thought of at WBA for his attitude during matches.. he only wanted his pay check during games and as long as he got it he didnt need to try...

I can see it going horribly worng.. the fact we signed him when no one else wanted him, regardless of his undoubted talent speaks volumes.... we have got someone who just wants to get payed, put the ball in the net to win the fans over, then stick 2 fingers up at then when he gets fed up.

jas :)

[/quote]

Earnshaw was, and still is, popular with the Baggie fans Jas, my son lives and works in that part of the country, and they say they would have him back tommorrow if they could.

Clearly he must have something going for him!.

Personally can''t see what all the fuss is about I''d only rate him as the Fourth best striker at Norwich behind Leon, Mcveigh and Hucks. Given I''ve only seen him play twice but on both occasions was disappointed by his awful first touch, non existent work rate - he''d did''nt drop off, go wide or run the channels just played between the width of the 6 yard area waiting for the perfect pass, cross or a mistake. As for this you need to give the right service debate - any forward worth his salt will score hatfuls with the sort of service Earnshaw seems to want.

I can definatly see why WBA sold him and think the only reason Worthy signed him was the Season Ticket deadline. As for a comparison with Ashton there isn''t one Earnshaw isn''t fit to lace Deano boots.