Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Chelsea...

are taking the p155. i really think that they have destroyed the premiership now.

They have just signed one of the best strikers in the world, one of the best midfielders and they are about to sign the best left back.

They can only do this because of Abramovich and i think this is against true football and being a good football club.

i couldnt give a jot to be honest, we''ll never play them again, but I will certainly have a chuckle when Abramovic pulls the plug on his money. It was int he media last season that Abramovic has said that the squad must be able to finance itself after winning the champs league - abramovic''s dream. Some went as far as to say that he will not put any money in once the champs league is bought, sorry won.

Pretty much. They are going to be absolutely unstoppable this season in the premiership IMO. Im looking forward to seeing Shevchenko however.

Unfortuanetly something like this was always likely to happen, football is a business now. Its sold its soul.

Shevchenko to Chelsea?  Can''t believe Worthless missed out on him.  Another one slips through the net.

Well said I think it is sick, and why no youth players brought through? That would regain SOME creditability

They certainly have a somewhat unfair advantage with their vast funds, NC. It will be interesting to see how competitive the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs will be next season, though.

Given Abramovich''s millions how do you think Worthy would spend it? Or would he bring the youth through? (Joke).

There are certainly some disadvantages to the Chelski situation, but I honestly can''t see why Schevchenko and Ballack playing in the English Premier League can be a bad thing?  We all cheered when Henry extended his stay at Arsenal, and the league also has such quality players as Gerrard and Rooney - why is the addition of two more world class players a bad thing?

People said at the start of last season that the Premiership was in decline, and it turned into one of the most interesting seasons in a long while, and the title race was more open than last season.  Spurs excelled, Chelsea were beaten by some very ordinary teams, and we had teams in both European cup finals.  The FA Cup was more exciting than ever...

I honestly think that Chelsea''s dominance has led to everyone raising their game, including the smaller clubs, and the standard of football in the Prem is improving with each coming year - even the likes of Bolton and Blackburn have now realised that fans are demanding pretty football rather than hoofball and bullies!

And don''t forget that the spine of Chelsea''s team is the English players - Terry, Lampard, Cole - and that Mourinho has said previously that he feels that teams playing in the English Premiership should be built around English players.

Personally I''m looking forward to watching Match of the Day next season and seeing Henry, Rooney, Gerrard, Schevchenko, Ballack, Lampard, Terry, all the Coles (excepting Carlton), Alonso, as well as numerous other possible and exciting signings expected this year...

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

Pretty much. They are going to be absolutely unstoppable this season in the premiership IMO. Im looking forward to seeing Shevchenko however.

Unfortuanetly something like this was always likely to happen, football is a business now. Its sold its soul.

[/quote]

To be honest Trent this has very little to do with business.  As a business there is no way that Chelsea could pay these fees nor maintain their wage bill and it is all totally down to having a "suger daddy".

It doesn''t worry me that Chelsea are buying the best players as football has been like this for a long time now (although maybe on a lesser scale).  Man Utd in the 90''s had the pick of the best and Liverpool before them.  Real Madrid have done it on a grand scale in the last 10 years but they have gone trophyless for two seasons now so I don''t believe that Chelsea are assured success just through spending.  At  least Mourinho places an emphasis on core of British players through his side unlike Wenger and Arsenal who clearly have no interest in the "English" game despite David Dein''s links to the FA.

What worries me more about Chelsea is the size of their squad and purchases of younger players.  How many players have Chelsea loaned out in the last few years?  Players like Forsell, Jarosik, Smertin and Carlton Cole have spent more time away from Chelsea than at their employers.  Then when you look at the buys of SW-Phillips and now Kalou it''s very concerning, they are buying good young young players that are unlikely to play.  The only reason you can assume they bought these players was just to stop someone else buying them. 

theres 1 thing that Liverpool have which is worth more than any of Abramovic Billions.. and thats the psychological edge over Mourinho...

The defeat in the Champions League was the first step, and last season was a nother chapter when Mourinho refused to shake Benitez hand.

even the mere Mention of Rafa makes Mournho agitated. He HATES the man... and if Liverpool get off to a good start, matching Chelskis results i think we will see Mournihos "cool" facade slip.

he seems to want to beat Liverpool at all costs, and i feel that might just crack open the premiership. I still think Mourinho is capable of a Keegen style rant before blowing it Superbly to Liverpool.

jas :)

The knockout  format of the champions league will prevent a guaranteed win for Chelsea. Looks like the Premiership might be theirs again though, unless they have some serious injury trouble.  2nd place in the Prem should be interesting.

Check this out then...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/5037406.stm

Its all about the money! What goalkeeper in his right mind transfers to a club knowing that he''s never going to play and will be the number 3? Does this guy have any pride?! Take Shaun Wright-Phillips for example: He joins Chelsea knowing that Mourinho said he will play a "squad rotation" part in the team at best but knows he will pick up a massive wage package a week. Arsenal then come in for him and promise him first team football week in and week out but will not get a wage as high as at Chelsea. His step dad (Ian Wright) was a total legend at Arsenal you would have thought he might want to go there! But no the first talk of money went to his head and he joined Chelsea. Now look at him, he didnt even make the England world cup stand by squad! Serves him right though.

Anyway I''m looking forward to Shevchenko coming to Chelsea, he will probably be a joy to watch and a nightmare for the premierships defenders. Also what idiot said a while back that money dosn''t win you the league?! Bollocks. When you have a manager like Jose Mourinho spending the money you are certain to get quality.

Should Hilario get in the team and drop a howler.. watch for the obvios headlines adding an S to the end of his name.

jas :)

[quote user="Jimaldinho"]

When you have a manager like Jose Mourinho spending the money you are certain to get quality.

[/quote]

Jimaldinho you are forgetting one thing, it was Andy Gray or some pundit who said this and REMEMBER this was 2 years ago when Abramovich took over at the time Claudio Ranieri was manager, you wouldn''t put Ranieri in the same class as Maurinho now would you.

So get you''re facts right before you start calling Pundits idiots, after all they know what they are talking about and their knowledge is far better than any of us on this message board.

Anybody know any rich Russians? Bring it on ......... we would love it folks (only one problem ... would he keep faith with our manager?)

Think of all the quality Nigel could buy! ARGGGGGGGGGGG ...............................

It''s sick - but it''s not only the top of the market - They have recently "pinched" the best young players from Leeds , Notts County and Stockport. And look at the John Obi Mikel signing what on earth went on there - how can a player sign for a team get pictured in that team shirt then suddenly change his mind when Chelsea coming calling?

And personally I would''nt want him or his like at Norwich - Yes I''d welcome someone with cash but only if they were a fan of the club and knew something about it''s history. I think Chelsea is just Roman''s latest Boy''s Toy and in a couple of years he''ll get bored and move onto to something else.

As for the core of Englishmen well I count two Terry and Lampard. That''s the same as Arsenal (Cole and Campbell) who are derided for being a bunch of foreigners 

Actually I rate Ranieri and he had a lot less to spend than Jose and still got a lot in. If my memory serves me right he signed Hasselbank, Lampard, Johnson, Mutu (before he went off the rales) and Cole not to mention brought John Terry through ah and ofcourse Cudicini.

[quote user="chicken"]Actually I rate Ranieri and he had a lot less to spend than Jose and still got a lot in. If my memory serves me right he signed Hasselbank, Lampard, Johnson, Mutu (before he went off the rales) and Cole not to mention brought John Terry through ah and ofcourse Cudicini.
[/quote]

£140m+ in one season Chicken including agreements for the next season, he spent more than Mourinho has in any one season.  He also signed (or pre-agreed transfers for) Crespo, Duff, Bridge, Geremi, Veron, Makelele, Smertin, Parker, Cech and Robben.

"As for the core of Englishmen well I count two Terry and Lampard. That''s the same as Arsenal (Cole and Campbell) who are derided for being a bunch of foreigners "

Think you can include Joe Cole in that list.

As I mentioned before, and someone else highlighted. The one bright spot to come out of this is that we get to see a world class striker in the premiership. And I personally cant wait.

"As for the core of Englishmen well I count two Terry and Lampard. That''s the same as Arsenal (Cole and Campbell) who are derided for being a bunch of foreigners "

Think you can include Joe Cole in that list.

And to be fair to them they did have Wayne Bridge, Glenn Johnson, and Shaun Wright Phillips.  And Damien Duff is Irish which is kinda home territory.

I think the "English Core" at chelsea masks the real issue. This

particular ''core'' happens to contain 2 (3 if you include cole) world

class players. They''d get in to most sides. The real travesty surrounds

Scott Parker, Shaun Wright-Phillips and especially Glenn Johnson. Not

so long ago he was one of the bright white hopes of English football, a

genuine replacement for a creaking Gary Neville, unconvincingly

deputised for by the likes of Danny Mills (we all knew he couldn''t cut

it at that level, why didn''t anyone else!!) and Luke Young. Not allowed

to go out on loan for some strange reason while many others were farmed

out, Glenn Johnson''s career has been on standby since the day he moved

to Chelsea. SWP in the meantime has gone backwards after they paid 21

million for him! Sure no player has the devine right to play in the

team but when you pay that much for him and don''t use him, it just

looks like they bought him like he was some sort of fashion item and to

make sure no-one else got him. Maybe Mourinho did it to make sure they

didn''t get beat my Man City again!!

Scott Parker would be going to Germany no question if he had played

regularly over the last 2 years. In fact, they would all be England

squad members in my opinion if they had been playing regularly.

That said, i too am looking forward to seeing Shevs - must say he is

being built up and everyone wants to see him, i just wonder how he''ll

cope with the English game after spending much of his career in Italy.

Anyone thinking Morientes?!

anyone who pays £20 million for Ashley Cole wants their head looking at.....he''s good but not anywhere near £20 million good.....Chelsea will come unstuck one day!