Sign in to follow this  
Willmeister

danns

has rejected latest contract offer with colchester and his agent (tony fiinigan) has confirmed that he will be leaving the club, lets hope that worthy moves for him now.

[quote user="City Till I Die"]has rejected latest contract offer with colchester and his agent (tony fiinigan) has confirmed that he will be leaving the club, lets hope that worthy moves for him now.[/quote]

Looks like Brum will get there first.

Worthy''s too busy sunning himself to sign anyone of any decency.

Birmingham are lining up a 500k bid for Danns....s''alright Nige, enjoy

your summer and sign some crap at the end of it, yet again. Worthy Out.

This is the first player that we could ''miss out on''.   City need to be at the table for players like Danns - let him choose Crum ahead of us if thats what he wants but we should be talking to him and showing him around - whether its june or not. 

His contract is up so we are not talking about agreeing a fee with Colchester but agreeing compensation once we have made Danns mind up that we are the club for him.  

A statement of intent from the club would do wonders with the fans right now...

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

This is the first player that we could ''miss out on''.   City need to be at the table for players like Danns - let him choose Crum ahead of us if thats what he wants but we should be talking to him and showing him around - whether its june or not. 

His contract is up so we are not talking about agreeing a fee with Colchester but agreeing compensation once we have made Danns mind up that we are the club for him.  

A statement of intent from the club would do wonders with the fans right now...

[/quote] Umm, how do you know we are not talking with him? This club has not and will not do their tranfers in public and you know it.! However ,I do find it amazing that every player that becomes available Worthy gets slated for not bringing them to the club. If some people had their way we would finish up witha squad of 50!!.

Could it be that Worthy may not rate the guy in the first place lets face it have any of you seen him play because i have not apart from tv clips.

[quote user="barclayendboy"]Could it be that Worthy may not rate the guy in the first place lets face it have any of you seen him play because i have not apart from tv clips.
[/quote]

Worthy rates Hooves, so he would have to be utter utter dross for Worthy not to rate the guy (or really good)

Doncaster has said in the paper today about capping players wages, that will send a message to agents that Norwich won''t be paying big salaries.This will result in agents taking their players to the higher paying clubs.Danns is a good player and could be an asset to Norwich and the price is not over valued.If you get a player cheaper then it is possible to pay them a bigger salary but Norwich will want it ,low price, low wage as usual .

"Low price, low wage as usual"? We''ve got one of the smallest squads and the second highest wage bill in the Chumpionship! And paid £2.8m for Earnie.

Is Danns really that good? I noticed that he was described as having bundles of energy and an eye for goal. Goals are always useful, but please tell me he''s not another motorman of the sort that appeals to Worthington! We need some skill, not energy.

Stay well clear of him and his agent!, he''s somewhat arrogant and could leave us anytime if we signed him.

Wouldn''t take kindly to sitting on the bench either!.

Believe me we are well rid.

Yes that''s right streakey, ND thinks wage caps could be a good idea,

therefore no-one will sign for us. I like how you''ve made that

connection!

Shame it''s complete rubbish.

Most people think wage caps are a good idea, incuding FIFA. The only

ones that don''t are those that are paid 50 plus grand a week.

Fact is, ND is in favour for good reason - we will benefit from it. It

is worked out as a proportion of income, i.e. your wage bill can not

exceed 75% of your income. As one of the clubs with the highest income

in the division, we will be able to pay among the highest wages.

Next time, think about things a bit more before jumping on the "anti" bandwagon just for the sake of it.

I did not say that i was not in favour of wage caps.If a player is out of contract you can entice them with a better salary offer as their transfer  fee is usualy cheaper.As a club we are always pleading poverty,however we have spent plenty on the pitch, corner infills and loan players.Earnie has cost us nothing really as it is the profit from the Ashton deal ,which is good buisness.However there is the rest of his transfer money floating around which in the first instance we could afford to pay out.If we want to get into the premiership we must speculate to accumulate as a 40+ million pot beckons.As for being one of the top payers in the championship , after watching some of the players last season we are certainly throwing our money down the drain and who ever buys them and agrees their contracts is not worth their own.You must encourage the players you admire to come and  at least talk and not discourage them from coming  at all with negative vibes.

Salary Caps are a superb Idear!

They bought them into the NFL in 1995 and the league is so close its untrue!

if a player wants 100,000 a week he can have it, as long as it doesnt take the club over the Wage cap.. in American Football the penalties are harsh. im not talking about a fine of peanuts, it ranges from being unable to sign new players, HUGE fines that continue until the wages are brought under cap level again, and in the worst case a winding up order...

the joy of it is that every team has a star player.. and they do usually stick around for a few years. Imagine Frank Lampard wanting 100K a week at Chelski, who could go over the cap if they paid him that, but say Arsenal could afford it... he would go to Aresenal and pay him what he wants as long as their cap stays in order for years.

Most players ask for smaller wages but huge Bonuses. and lots of players in the NFL are on 6-7 year Contracts with their salary Reviewd every year...

it would be brilliant to see it introduced here. A cap would make all 4 leagues tighter. and we would see shock winners of the premiership.

Ask any american football fan just how much of a shock it was to have the Sea Hawks and the Steelers in last years superbowl. Charlton to win the premiership with Bolton 2nd one day? might not be to short of reality.

jas :)

To back up a1canarys'' post, Norwich had the 2nd highest wage bill in the Championship at the start of last season.  Althought there are another 3 teams with parachute payments, I''m fairly certain that we will still be in the top 5 payers in the league.  So wages are not a reason for players not to come to us.

"Ask any american football fan just how much of a shock it was to have the Sea Hawks and the Steelers in last years superbowl. Charlton to win the premiership with Bolton 2nd one day? might not be to short of reality."

Steelers werent a surprise were they?! Seahawks maybe, but theyre in a pretty weak division so wasnt too much of a surprise.

But yes to back up your point, any sport with a salary cap is very competitive. Taking the NFL example, for three (Maybe four) straight years in the early 00''s a team that finished bottom of their division the previous season (Divisions of four, previously five) won the superbowl the next season.

But football is now a business, a business based on greed, with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. It wont change.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

"Ask any american football fan just how much of a shock it was to have the Sea Hawks and the Steelers in last years superbowl. Charlton to win the premiership with Bolton 2nd one day? might not be to short of reality."

Steelers werent a surprise were they?! Seahawks maybe, but theyre in a pretty weak division so wasnt too much of a surprise.

But yes to back up your point, any sport with a salary cap is very competitive. Taking the NFL example, for three (Maybe four) straight years in the early 00''s a team that finished bottom of their division the previous season (Divisions of four, previously five) won the superbowl the next season.

But football is now a business, a business based on greed, with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. It wont change.

[/quote]

How does the cap work in the NFL?  Is it percentage/income based or is it the case that everybody has the same cap in a division?

I can see advantages to a salary cap and I believe that clubs in League 1 & 2 already have to cap their wages to 60% percent of their income.  Clearly wage caps would stop clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd running squads of 30 full internationals but there are dis-advantages as well.  A club like City as A1 pointed would be have a big advantage in this league due to income from gate receipts. If we were promoted we would have one of the smallest incomes with less scope to bring in qaulity players to improve the squad.  No doubt we would run a very, very small squad as well.

Personally if a cap is to come in I would like it to be the same for every club within a division and not based entirely on a clubs income.

You are right though Trent this will never happen.  The G14 group of clubs would never allow it as it would jeopardise their monopoly of European football and the amount of money they make because of it.

it might change Trent.. the NFL is, so we get constantly told when watching games on 5, the Most lucrative/Richest sport in the world.. the Shared Revenue is distributed fairly and evenly through out the game....the team who wins the superbowl will obviously get a fair bit of money from sponsorships, media and the like.. but the wors team gets more money than the best team... and thats how it should be here.

Doesnt always work... for examples of how to spectacularly blow it Witness the New York Giants of a few years back, or even the current San Francisco 49ers who really are up the creek.

jas :)

Saint, cant say I understand fully. But here goes. Actually sod it, give Wikipedia a try. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

Simply put the combined salaries have to be under a certain level. This creates a level playing field, and keeps things interesting. However it does mean players dont stay at teams for too long.

One big difference between football and NFL is that in football wages are the same for each year of a contract (Maybe different in some cases) Whereas in the NFL practically all salaries rise year by year of a contract (E.g. 1 Mil in first year, 1.4 mil in second year etc) So if you have many players towards the end of their contracts (I.E when the pay is at its highest) a team has to cut players to make cap room, so they can afford a team.

To be honest a really good way of doing things is the Baseball way. They have a set payroll limit, but if you go over it you have to pay "luxury tax". And all the luxury taxes get lumped together and distributed amongst the lower teams. The New York Yankees for example has a total payroll of around 212 Million, when the payroll limit is somewhere around 80 million. This means they pay a lot of luxury tax, and it goes towards the poorer teams. I think its a brilliant system. Maybe in English football teams such as United, Chelsea etc could pay a certain amount of their income into a pot, and it could go to help lower league teams survive.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]B''ham have agreed a 500K bid, i dont see why we shouldnt outbid that. We need a right winger and Danns is a very good one.[/quote]

We don''t need to outbid Brum.  He is out of contract but below the age for a bosman free transfer.  We can talk to him, sign him and the fee would be set by the FA.

That luxury tax sounds just the job trent - funny how rabid, capitalist

america should come up with such a system! but it definitely sounds

like the way to close the leagues within leagues thing in the

prem/serie a/la liga etc.

trouble is, it would serve to distance the bottom prem clubs even further from those at the top of the championship.

A1 - If I was in charge any money from top teams wouldnt go to the bottom teams in the premiership, it would go to those teams in league 2/conference etc that are struggling to survive. I cant remember who, but one team needed to raise 80k in a month to survive, the same as a weeks wages for some players.

Although if you did redistribute money to teams at the bottom of the premiership I still think it would be good, as three teams still have to get relegated each season! But of course, any system like this would never happen.