Sign in to follow this  
roland

why all the hype about overated earnie?

Earnshaw will score some goals but hes not in the same class  as Dean Ashton. The price tag says it all. Did anyone wath the wales v trinidad match? The standard was pathetic and wouldnt have looked out of place in the ridgeons league. He may be an international but it is wales we are talking about and hes strike partner staurday plays for bristol city. Pretty much the same as when we claimed to have an international goalkeeper in Gallagher! Hes not the sort of striker who willl attract transfer attention {which is a good thing for us, as it wont see him going anywhere}, half decent at championship standard but why did west brom sell him? Because hes not a premiership striker! So when we do get promoted what happens then? I have also read on here we have one of the best squads in the championship. I think our league position and performences suggest otherwise. If our players are the best in this league then surely its the players fault and not worthys that we didnt go up this year. Worthy has done a marvellous job with the overated players the board has made him buy! Surely some of our failure has to be blamed on doncaster and delia, and im sick of tuning into canary call just to hear neil adams sit on the fence defending the over paid players and board at carrow road. Obviously Adams is on the clubs payroll?

[quote user="roland"]Worthy has done a marvellous job with the overated players the board has made him buy! Surely some of our failure has to be blamed on doncaster and delia[/quote]

Yes, it is their fault, because they haven''t questionned Nigel about how poor the transfers have been... Oh, and by the way, Neil Doncaster recently said that the board don''t have anything to do with the players bought.  He said that Nigel recommends them, and then ND/Kevin Platt (I think) do the negotiating... Please get your facts right - the board do not make him buy players.

We paid over the odds for Earnie, no doubt, but thats always going to be the case when the club you''re trying to buy him off knows you''ve got twice that just deposited in the bank.Many clubs pay over the odds for players in any given season because of similar circumstances.If Earnie was the same age as Ashton then I''d hazard a guess he''d have been worth a similar amount to Ashton when we bought him.Regardless of his cost versus Ashtons, he is a quality player. Comparing him to Ashton is virtually pointless on a technical level, hes as different from him as two strikers can be.What he gives us and we''ve been lacking for ages is an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time. He''ll poach as many as he truly makes during the course of a season, but thats a good thing. Often a scrappy poached goal is the difference between a draw and a win in a tight game.I agree that Ashton has some great control and positional sense, he could well end up being better than Shearer in a best case scenario.However, I have major doubts about his long term fitness and attitude. Now why isn''t he going to Germany? By rights he should be the first strikers name after Rooney''s on the teamsheet. Remember Sven and Tord (along with other underlings) watching him last season? Some of these occasions were likely when Ashton was throwing a strop and generally behaving like a spoilt brat.He wants to watch himself, theres another ex-city striker who never played for England because of his attitude.Earnie seems to be a lot more like Hucks, he''ll be happy to stay as long as hes playing regular football and he seems to be the sort of player who''ll always weigh in with a decent goal tally when he is played.He plays the game with a smile on his face, thats good to see after "slapped arse" Ashton.

I don''t think any manager would allow the board to purchase his players. I don''t think you can compare Ashton and Earnshaw but both have shown they are capable of scoring in the Premiership. West Brom could have done with Earnie at the end of the season because they were simply unable to score. On paper we certainly had a squad that was comparable with the promoted sides sadly our management was not! Why should we blame Doncaster and Delia! They are not responsible for preparation before games or transfer dealings and they have shown infinite patience in Nigel after some terrible performances. I think we have a set up which demands Premiership football all thanks to Delia.

Career Statistics

ClubFromToFeeLeagueFA CupLeague CupOther
Norwich31/01/200630/04/2006

£3,500,000

13(2)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

West Brom30/08/200430/01/2006

£3,000,000

22(21)

3(1)

2(1)

0(0)

Morton22/01/200020/02/2000

Loan

3(0)

1(0)

0(0)

0(0)

Cardiff01/08/199730/08/2004

Apprentice

141(37)

11(2)

6(2)

5(1)

Totals

£6,500,000

179(60)

15(3)

8(3)

5(1)

Goals / Game

Apps

Goals

Apps

Goals

Apps

Goals

Apps

Goals

Earnies career statistics would disagree with you! The guys a legend.

how can you say earnshaw could have been worth the same amount as ashton a few years ago? was earnshaw linked to a 12 million plus move to newcastle this summer? they are 2 completely different forwards like you said, but the point you are missing out on is earnshaws championship class and ashton is world class- big difference. Neil doncaster touted ashton around in january{ who lied and said he was injured for the west ham cup game, yet on cup final day john motson claimed it was part of the deal} not the player, so get off his back! As for ben parkin going on about earnie being a 14 goal premiership striker, why did no premiership clubs show an interest when he was made available for only 3.5m which is very cheap if he is as good as you make him out to be.

ben parkin-the board dont make him buy players then??? i guess ashton for 3m then sold at 7.5m in the space of a year was all down to worthy? selling francis at a profit and getting in muppetts like jarrett for free is his doing aswell? i guess the profits from transfers go in worthys pocket, because they certainly dont go back into the club. You tell me to get my facts right? you obviously believe everything the board tell you, i suppose you also believe saddam had weapons of mass destruction in iraq because bush said so and that freddie starr ate my hamster {daily sport 1986}. Perhaps you think phil and grant mitchell rule londons east end and hayley cropper in coronation street is really a man? All im saying is , dont believe everything you read and hear, especially when it comes from the carrow road board.

Earnie is a proven goal scorer and as a second striker in any team premier or otherwise 14 goals would be acceptable in a season.The main striker scoring 25+. I would expect Earnie to score more in a full season in the championship though.If the board has picked the players for Worthless ,then they don''t trust him and he might aswell resign as we truely have the lunatics running the assylum .Out with the lot of them Roland and Worthless too for not standing up to them ,if that  is the case.However Roland like Worthless you have read it all wrong!

Ashton gone get over it, earnie will end up better anyway, Ashton always looks overweight to me and no pace to speak of, the money we got was a good deal and good riddance to the sulking muppet.

are you the same ricky knight that used to play for firside athletic. if you are then that would explain alot to me. overweight with no pace, its a good job your not a scout. i think if money was not involved you would pick ashton ahead of earnshaw everytime

Stroppy, moody whatever you want to call him, Ashton is a much player than Earnshaw.  His all round game is far superior.

Earnshaw is an average player but an excellent goal scorer.  Anyone watching the Wales match Saturday would have seen that his all-round game was pretty poor but we know that and it''s not what he''s in the team for.  He''s a Linekar/Cottee type player who is pretty much a non-event until he gets anywhere near the 18 yard box.  His heading, control and general play with his back to goal is poor but give him a sight of goal and then he looks the business.  Give him chances and he will score - he brings very little else to the team but goals win matches, it''s as simple as that. 

As for the board making Worthy buy players, I just can''t believe that any manager in Britain would work under those conditions, especially a strong-willed man like Worthy.

[quote user="roland"]how can you say earnshaw could have been worth the same amount as ashton a few years ago? was earnshaw linked to a 12 million plus move to newcastle this summer? they are 2 completely different forwards like you said, but the point you are missing out on is earnshaws championship class and ashton is world class- big difference. Neil doncaster touted ashton around in january{ who lied and said he was injured for the west ham cup game, yet on cup final day john motson claimed it was part of the deal} not the player, so get off his back! As for ben parkin going on about earnie being a 14 goal premiership striker, why did no premiership clubs show an interest when he was made available for only 3.5m which is very cheap if he is as good as you make him out to be.[/quote]               Ashton world class you have been having the wrong mushrooms for breakfast mate.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

so he got 12 premiership goals in 44 prem games hardly sets the world alight, and the cardiff goals mainly came in the bottom 2 leagues. i think its you who needs to get your facts right. I dont think earnshaw is overated or underated, he is inbetween, he will score goals but is not a top quality player, two goals against world cup whipping boy favourites tinidad and tabago dosent make him a international class striker. i would put him in the same mould as ashley ward or malculm allen, but ashton will  eventually prove to be a great england forward, people should realise it was doncaster who openly said he could go for 7.5m when the player hadnt even opened his mouth, yet you all slag off dean ashton.

ashton is world class, he is a proven premiership quality striker while earnie didnt get any offers from any other prem clubs when he was availbale for transfer, yet newcastle want him for 12m, west ham, man city etc wanted ashton.

i suppose you all think ashton is overated because he single handedly nearly kept us up and stopped us from having the worst premiership points total in history, but thats not enough for most fickle fans.

are you ther same ricky knight who used to support man utd till city got to the play off final?? i used to play football with firside aswell so i may know roland too. Hello roland you may remember me.

gg[quote user="nelson muntz"]are you ther same ricky knight who used to support man utd till city got to the play off final?? i used to play football with firside aswell so i may know roland too. Hello roland you may remember me.[/quote] I am the ricky knight aka known as paddy bevis who has supported norwich since 1967 man and boy, when we were bottom of the old 2nd division, i went homeand away spending thousands of pounds and most of all i hate man utd even more than ipswich. just because i dont fall for all this ashton hype, does not make me a bad supporter, if he is so world class how come a kid with no experience is in front of him. apart from shearer newcastles judgement of players is not that successful, as their trophy cabinet proves.

earnie aint overrated. his goals could get us promoted next season. he is a better finisher than ashton. but i think the majority know and realise, that ashton is a better player to have, and has lots of potential to be a great player. but to say he''s world class is way off the mark. henry is world class, shevchenko is world class, ashton is only premiership class, and i believe earnshaw is in this category aswell.

Temp said: "I think the really sad thing in all of this is that we never got to see Ashton & Earnshaw as a partnership......... "

I totally agree, or Koumas feeding either of them, or some level of quality footballer brought in last summer...  Oh well its your 100%ers and Etuhu''s I guess.

Robert Earnshaw gets the goals there is no doubt about that but in terms of overall contribution to a team Ashton is ahead which probably explains why he is playing in the Premiership and Earnie is playing in the Championship.   

Question to Roland - I think a better question than yours is "why all the vitriolic rubbish about a player who has done nothing but clinically put away chances for us since his arrival and who may hopefully be able to score a hatful of goals for us next season?" - Genuine and simple question - I am very interested to hear your answer!  

Good point - best natural finisher this club has had since..........errrm....well macdougall, actually.

the biggest question mark is Earnies attitude.. I still have him down as a money grabbing mercenary... and when a premiership club of any size comes sniffing we could see just how much he is...

He can very easily become a villain.. as he did at WBA.

jas :)