Sign in to follow this  
wan hanoi

ashton the greatest striker we have ever had

reading the post from roland regarding earnie being overated, im stunned by the amount of criticism ashton has recieved! how many norwich strikers have ever been linked with a 12m move? certainly not earnshaw-3.5m at the most!!!! the closest striker we have had to ashtons class was sutton and city fans should feel pivalidged that these 2 great strikers graced the carrow road turf. Ashton never had an attitude, he was the only reason we went from premiership shambles to nearly staying up. As for chris sutton he shot us into our great uefa cup run and what happened when he left-relegated. People on here pay more respect to a west brom reject than 2 premiership class strikers.

Ashton is a top top talent and has a terrfic prem future ahead of him - but is he the best city striker ever?

Other stronger candidates in my eyes are

• Ted MacDougall - only city striker to be be the top goal scorer in the countrys top league when bagging over 30 in a season;  no city player is likely to achieve that again in my lifetime.
  • Kevin Reeves - a million pound player when it was still a rarity;  won a England cap.
  • Chris Sutton - British transfer record holder at the time; definitely England class but over looked due to England B cap debacle
  • Kevin Drinkell - goal poacher supreme won top honours - if only in scotland.
  • Mick Channon - in the twilight of his career but genuine england class striker from the 70s.

These player all performed and scored for city at the very highest level not second tier (hence no Iwans, Bellamy, Percy Varcos etc).

For me our best ever striker is Chris Sutton, who genuinely had it all,  pace, power, passing, vision, 2 good feet and could also defend.     

I could not care less about a want away overweight balding money grabbing miserable ex canary all i care about is who is playing for us now ,good  riddance  i say and i will have a wager that earnie will score just as many as Ashton did in the same period up to christmas EARNIE EARNIE EARNIE .

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Ashton is a top top talent and has a terrfic prem future ahead of him - but is he the best city striker ever?

Other stronger candidates in my eyes are

• Ted MacDougall - only city striker to be be the top goal scorer in the countrys top league when bagging over 30 in a season;  no city player is likely to achieve that again in my lifetime.
  • Kevin Reeves - a million pound player when it was still a rarity;  won a England cap.
  • Chris Sutton - British transfer record holder at the time; definitely England class but over looked due to England B cap debacle
  • Kevin Drinkell - goal poacher supreme won top honours - if only in scotland.
  • Mick Channon - in the twilight of his career but genuine england class striker from the 70s.

These player all performed and scored for city at the very highest level not second tier (hence no Iwans, Bellamy, Percy Varcos etc).

For me our best ever striker is Chris Sutton, who genuinely had it all,  pace, power, passing, vision, 2 good feet and could also defend.     

[/quote] Add Curran, Manning, allcock, to the above list, although not in top league, still better ncfc strikers than ashton imo.

to bell, sorry i mean barclayendboy. i''ll bet you chant worthy out when things dont go our way, but when they do you think he''s a hero. when will you jump on the next bandwagon.

Yes Ashton is quoted at being valued around £12million, but in todays transfer market what would Chris Sutton have been worth? Certainly in the region of £12 million.  Mark Robins scored the goals that got us into Europe, people seem to have forgotten him.  Earnie is a good striker, player transfer value is all about what another club is prepared to pay to get their man.

[quote user="City Till I Die"]sutton moved from blackburn to chelsea for about £15m (i think)[/quote]

£10m my memory tells me. A pretty tidy sum either way!

[quote user="City Till I Die"]sutton moved from blackburn to chelsea for about £15m (i think)[/quote]

You''re £10m out there I''m afraid! He was sold to Blackburn for £5m. He is still our best ever stiker IMO. I''m not old enough to have seen anyone pre 1984 play so cannot rate them unfortunately. I think Ashton will go on to play for England & eventually will have to be rated as our best ever striker but he''ll never be remembered as fondly as Sutton, Iwan, Bellars, Robins, Drinkell etc...

I was a great fan of John Deehan as I always thought him a good goalscorer with a lovely, almost aristocratic, grace. Not a poacher, but he could create and take a chance sublimely well. Deserves to be up there I feel.

Ashton wasn''t with us long enough to rate as a great (if you disocunt his sulking period after relegation we only had 3.5 months from him)- yes he showed some nice touches but we will never know what he could have done for us.

Never mind the price, as long as the man plays his heart for the club and fans who pay him.  The man who is only concerned with what he''s getting instead of reckoning, that what he contributes in return is a measure of his true value. That he is part of a team and contributes to the teams success above all then he is a mountain of a man IMHO.!!! 

I don''t think sticking a value on a players head is going to tell us how good he is or was. We all know that firstly the market is a very different place to what it was 20 years ago and secondly players are often priced with other factors involved, such as the selling clubs motives.

An example Harry Kewell - 4m from Dirty Leeds to Liverpool and then Veron - 28m from Lazio to Manchester United.

I wouldn''t say there was 24 million pounds worth of difference between the two.

I think Ashton is an outstanding all round forward who will go on to prove he is of international calibre.

Also remember the different quality of side that some of the examples used played in. Mark Robins was part of one of the best sides in the country at the time and as a result would look like a fantastic player with the service he  recieved. Thats not saying he wasn''t good but imagine Ashton at an equivelent side now.

I think it''s such a difficult question to answer because each players situation was different. Didn''t Kevin Phillips look outstanding with Niall Quinn playing along side him. Not quite the same animal at Villa or Southampton.

What about Martin Peters - he had a few years here and Ashley Ward in his pomp and Cross and Jimmy Bone - if you really wanted a comic act.   Ashton was o.k. but far from the finished article.

Before I say it, this remark is in no way meant to be disparaging to younger posters or belittle their opinions but is intended as an entirely genuine observation. Anyway, Barkertwist, you must be, at the most, fifteen years old to not remember anyone as good as Ashton playing up front for us.  

You are obviously to young to have seen Ted McDougal or Ron Davies or you would not have made such a ridiculous statement. In time he may be mentioned in the same breath but not yet.

you have a point, but surely the point to the message board is to hear the opinion of young and old. many people under the age of 18 wont remember sutton playing for city so ashton is the only decent all round foward they have seen in yellow and green. older posters have the right to go on about players from the 70''s and 80''s, but you cant compare ashton to peters etc if you have not seen both play and younger posters only know about how good peters and drinkell were because of what they have heard. so if barkertwist is only 15 i think he has a good opinion and look at how he has got everybody taking a walk down memory lane.

Ashton didn''t have the bottle to be the greatest striker we ever had... in my opinion perm one from Sutton ( who truly was great in all senses for two seasons), Flecky ( gave so much to the club and while he was a NCFC player was always committed) and Drinkell.

[quote user="ricardo"]You are obviously to young to have seen Ted McDougal or Ron Davies or you would not have made such a ridiculous statement. In time he may be mentioned in the same breath but not yet.[/quote]

If he is too young then why is it a rediculous statement?

The guys only speaking about what he knows and based on what he knows, thats his conclusion.

Sutton, Reeves, Roberts, Ashton, Justin Fashanu, Ron Davies, all excellent players.... oh to have 1 of them in a team today!

jas :)

Sutton

Drinkell

Deehan

Bellamy

Reeves

Fleck

Fashanu

Robins

Channon

All great strikers and all did more for the club in their time than Ashton did.

By the time Ashtons career comes to an end ,he may well be the greatest striker ever to put on a Norwich shirt.Other strikers we have had include,Channon,Chivers and Royal who scored goals for England and Norwich.He may end up as the most expensive player we have ever owned through future transfers.

I have to think its sour grapes from fans who criticise Ashton. The fact is that if Norwich were in the top six at January he would have stayed at least till the end of the season. I think he is an ambitious sort of guy who wants to improve as a player. I always felt he gave a 100% and his overall contribution to the side was superior to anybody last season. I we didnt have him last season it could have been a relegation battle. The FA Cup final was clearest indication of just how good he is, he bossed the Liverpool defence and his passing was top quality.

Should be in the England squad aswell!

Roland, I get your point but even so Bellamy wasn''t too long ago. I''m a big fan of Ashton but, IMO, he doesn''t hold a candle to that "arrogant young man" as Rioch used to call him. [:)]