Sign in to follow this  
milesblinn

Greens fluffed kick injury/city future

The only reason Green injured himself is, as you will have seen if you watch the replays he actually completely fluffs his kick and loses his balance. Now a feel sorry for Green but the fact he will be replaced by Scott Carson who is on loan at sheff wed again next year with a view to a perminant move says a lot for english goalkeepers at the moment. We have a fine replacement in gallagher who was only finally given a chance by worthy by luck {green injury} rather than worthy wanting to give him a chance. With Green more or less saying he wants to leave anyway i do not see this as much of a problem. I have long thought of Geen as overated and it seems a lot of fans are blind to this. I will be be the first to admit he has done well to keep us in games at times, but people should also acknowledge he has cost us a few aswell. In the premiership he simply wasnt good enough and was prone to too many errors that you just cant make at that standard, and had he been playing for one of the big sides he seems set on joining these mistakes would have been scroutinised severly by the press a lot more than whilst playing for city. Ive seen him pull off some terriffic saves but at the end of the day hes no big loss to England, or Norwich when he leaves this summer.

I agree with much of what you''ve posted here miles. Green has been a critical-free zone for some reason, when there has been much to critisize, especially this season. However, my sympathies do go out to him on his injury though I fear that if Carson impresses, Green''s days in the England squad are numbered.

The big question now is that if a proposed move for a healthy fee falls through this summer due to his injury, the club will not only loses out on x pounds, but will have a ''keeper that will start next season who STILL does not want to be here.

Is this good for Norwich City Football Club...?

talk about kicking a man when he''s down!.

As regards to Green wanting to go, he owes us nothing and personally i don''t blame him, for the sake of his career at least. He''s given us a damn sight more than that king of mercenaries now at Upton Park. Like Johnson at CP he''s given us a season to get back to where he deserves to be (rather than 6 months of petulance from someone who''d been here less than a year).

Its in NCFCs and Greens interests to move on (assuming we spend the money wisely that is....)

I have to say how wrong I feel you are.Green is a fantastic shot stopper and he commands his area well - this season was a bit shaky for everyone and as for the premiership when you have a defence like that in front of you you are going to be making more saves than anyone else in the division - there is no way that any keeper unless they are some sort of demi-god is going to stop all of them!!!He is not quite as good as Robinson but then you have to remember that Robinson is probably in the top ten keepers in the world - he is certainly as good as van der Saar. Green although maybe not as good as Robinson should be Englan number 2 when fit - he is ten times the keeper James is. Personally I think Foster should be on that plaine and not Carson who has only kicked a couple of balls all season.As for Green being overated - tell that to the England coaches and Brian Gunn. Sorry but I don''t believe anyone has said anything extreme enough to have overated him. The press certainly havent. A good solid keeper in my books and I have not heard anyone say otherwise.In my opinion if he wanted to move to play for England he should have done it a season or two ago - he would have been with a bigger (higher in the league club) for longer and perhaps have stepped up his game.I still think he could do a good job for Arsenal after Lehman has gone, or Everton. And by the way - neither are small clubs and both have been linked to him now and in the past.If a club doesnt come in for him it will be because they can get a cheaper foreign alternative or a player on a free transfer. Because at 26 he can still command a high wage/asking price.

chicken- I must take issue with your statement that Green commands his area well.

I don''t think he does. In fact I think he allows his area to be dominated by others. He sticks limpet like to his line too much- expecially at corners and he doesn''t come out enough to close down advancing trouble. If you watch any opposition player put a ball into the box, then unless its going over the top of the defenders and anywhere near the goal he stands back and expects his centre backs to sort it out. very rarely will you see him come out Oliver Kahn like and make sure he gets that ball first.

I reckon that Green''s apporach here actually puts more strain on our centre backs and has played its own part in our defensive farilties.

To be honest with you if the striker is marked then it should be left to the defender.If the ball is floating in no mans land then Green should come for it. There is no point him challenging along with his own player. If the striker comes out on top there is no keeper.Its just a matter of seeing the ball early and getting there in front of players. And that is not as simple as it sounds so again if a defender is there why take the risk like James does?One of his last flops last season saw him come out catch the ball 3" off the top of his own defenders head - fail to pull it into his chest and then lost it off the said defenders head for a striker to tap in nicely!Like I said - Green is no Robinson but he is better than Carson, James etc. The only keeper possibly better or at least nearly as good as him at the moment is Foster at Watford - actually Man Utd.

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]if you watch it in slow motion you see his left leg give way, well before he gets anywhere near the ball[/quote]

to quote Arsene Wenger "i didnt see it" is there a video online of it at all?

jas :)

I have actually been worried for a long time at the way Greeno kicks the ball. He puts so much strain on his back and legs. I have noticed this and he really seems to jar himself up in his motion.

Anyone else noticed ?

What planet are you on chicken!!!!! How can you even use greens name in the same sentence as van der saar. All you have to do is look at at his cv with the exception of fulham(a team that put 6 past green). Man utd signed van der saar ahead of green, why do you think that is. Reply in 5 years and brag about how well green has done or when you know what you are talking about(whichever comes first) 

Couldnt agree more-too many people who rate Green have no clue about goalkeeping apart from highlights of match of the day and the championship, i trained as a keeper since i was 6 and played to a decent standard, now im by no means saying im better than Green but how can anyone say he comands his area? Fumbles, fluffed, kicks, dropped crosses. Give Gallagher a runout next year when Green goes-which he will in the summer or if he isnt fit january. When all the goalkeeper experts here see the muck ups he makes on match of the day next year perhaps they will agree with this guy who wrote the initial message.

I think Green''s good enough to justify his place in the squad. How good he actually is is debatable (and the way things have been for the past 18 months or so you can''t blame him for losing form/enthusiasm). Personally, I think that when he''s on form hes a cracking keeper, certainly good enough for the prem if not as good as Robinson.

Note to Chicken- i do believe you can now go back to your armchair and rate players by reading match reports off teletext. Have you seen van der saar? have you seen green? one of the worlds most highly rated keepers being compared to a championship standard fumble horse, who controls his area aswell as  ian beale controls albert square, watch a game before comparing players chicken-or are you greens agent?Well said Roland! I only trying to help you!

Robert Green was a very good goalkeeper, up until the championship season.  In the championship season he was exceptional, arguably the best english Goalkeeper that season, however his confidence seemed a bit shot whilst conceding so many goals in the premiership, and this season he has struggled to motivate himself, he seemed renewed in january when it looked like he may get a move, and when he new he was staying here.  But he seemed to lose the motivation again. After the end of season injury Gallacher showed what a goalie with something to prove, enjoying his football can do.

Its going to be a big test for Robert Green, according to the news today he is out for months, which effectively means no club will buy him in the summer.  He is going to have rebuild his career at city and will probably leave for free at the end of next season....

I agree CJF. Perhaps it is also something to do with having a decent defence in front of you? Like we have also agreed previously one of our strengths for a couple of seasons prior as well as the championship season was that we had a mean defence. You cant be very confident if you dont think you defence is going to give you much of a chance.As I mentioned before - Green last season and this season has probably been one of the busiest keepers out there.There is a first for everything but I will quote myself to help clear things up:"He is not quite as good as Robinson but then you have to remember

that Robinson is probably in the top ten keepers in the world - he is

certainly as good as van der Saar."When I say he is certainly as good as van der Saar I am ofcourse refering to Robinson not Green. Hope that helps all of you eager to try and kill anyone with a slightly possitive approach to life. Infact I wonder if its not dead or dying if half of you guys would prefer it to be?!!! I was simply defending Greens reputation again I did not see many people complaining before this season and all of a sudden he doesnt deserve his starting berth or his England place and they only worry about his injury because of his potential value could go down.Again I would not question their position as fans but I would question the meaning of "support" and that perhaps these days it just as acceptable to support negatively as it is possitively and I dont mean blindly either.Its just a damned shamed that some people have had to cross that line and really start slagging off the players. So far we have had:Green - Over rated and rubbish sell him - oh no he is injured, that will be a £1million of his priceDrury - Over rated, gets turned inside out more times than a pair of well used socks.Doherty - Didnt deserve player of the season and is a clogger.Fleming - Past it, over the hill should be released.Luis-Jean - (athough he has only played a handful of games) Is rubbish he should be sold/releasedColin - Same attitude as Luis-Jean really.Huckerby - Is rubbish, he only plays when he wants too, and he isnt defencive enough.Hughes - Cant pass, cant shoot, cant do anything should be traded for a shiney sticker for my new sticker album, probably worth more.Safri - Sell him now before he gets injured again, we cant rely on him, he isnt consistant even when he is fit and he plays to deep.Robinson - Oh he can pass the ball but only sideways - that means he is rubbish so get shot of him.Etuhu - Well he is rubbish with potential.Earnshaw - Is obviously too short to be a good striker and does very little else on the pitch.MacKenzie - Runs around loads but little else.Thorne - Over the hill and past it.If this is what some of you believe I think people have the right to question your support but not your position as fans. I hope that makes sense. If people are allowed to moan at people who think that other peoples opinions of players is overated then I reserve the right to moan about people who I thinks opinions underate players.Green would be a good solid Premiership keeper end of. He may never be a Paul Robinson or a Van der Saar but he may well be a Nigel Martyn or an Ian Walker and to be honest with you I would not be ashamed of being ranked alongside keepers of that stature. And Green is certainly no worse than Walker.As for Gallacher - has he signed a new contract yet? Because if not we are looking at a new keeper for the beggining of the season or testing out a very young keeper in Joe Lewis. So dont be so sure that we will have a "better" keeper in replace of Green.]Lastly I will quote another poster in saying its all a bit "un-English".

green command his area?
i cant remember seeing him claim a corner or cross since the promotion year.
he is overated and should have gone last season.
i was sure that he was leaving before this injury but now im not.
it will have serious implications on the ammount we get from his transfer and who will want him which is bad for both the club and green.

[quote user="milesblinn"]The only reason Green injured himself is, as you will have seen if you watch the replays he actually completely fluffs his kick and loses his balance. Now a feel sorry for Green but the fact he will be replaced by Scott Carson who is on loan at sheff wed again next year with a view to a perminant move says a lot for english goalkeepers at the moment. We have a fine replacement in gallagher who was only finally given a chance by worthy by luck {green injury} rather than worthy wanting to give him a chance. With Green more or less saying he wants to leave anyway i do not see this as much of a problem. I have long thought of Geen as overated and it seems a lot of fans are blind to this. I will be be the first to admit he has done well to keep us in games at times, but people should also acknowledge he has cost us a few aswell. In the premiership he simply wasnt good enough and was prone to too many errors that you just cant make at that standard, and had he been playing for one of the big sides he seems set on joining these mistakes would have been scroutinised severly by the press a lot more than whilst playing for city. Ive seen him pull off some terriffic saves but at the end of the day hes no big loss to England, or Norwich when he leaves this summer.[/quote]

What a ridiculous post. Have you not read the papers or seen the news stories on the injury? I was at the game in Reading and have also seen in various media that the damage was at least partially done before the kick. He ''felt it tweak'' after the first save and was stretching his grion from that point right up until his leg gave way under him as he ran up to the kick and he slipped into the ball. Perhaps you should make sure your facts are correct before you make comments as bold as this.

As for Green. what more do you negative posters want from him? He has stuck with the club before when he could have moved away, and now it looks like Worthy is turning us into a mid-table championship side, he wants to prove himself at the top level to make the most of his career and enhance his England chances. What is wrong with that? He has also been honest about the situation. I''d prefer that than see him kissing the badge, telling everyone how much he loves the club and then disappearing without looking back as happens so often.

I totally agree with most of what Chicken has said in his various posts on this thread to back him up, when Ray Clements attended the Sheff Wed vs City game at Hillsborough, he left after finding out the Greenie had injured himself in the warm up. Carson was at the other end, yet Clements didn''t bother staying to watch him. If Green is so poor, (and I realise there are not many great English keepers out there at the munute) why not bother staying to watch your fourth choice keeper when you''re already at the game? I''d say Clements knows a bit more about keepers than any one on this message board.

Finally, maybe we haven''t seen the best of Green in the last couple of sesons, but who have we seen the best of? Who has really hit their peak in the last 2 years? What must it be like to play behind that back four against Premiership opposition? What must that do to your confidence? How many goals has he conceded, even in these past few years that were either from more than 10 yards from goal, or that he should have done better with?

Just a few questions to ask yourself before you continue to kick a man who is down despite actually being the longest serving player at the club if you include his non-professional days also, and has been a great servant to the club.

for christs sake chicken, get off your high horse, with the exception of earnshaw, hucks, safri and fleming none of those players are fit to wear the shirt, and are  mostly worthys hopeless signings-green is overated get over it!

as for for the reason greens in the england set up let me point something out-how many english keepers do we have??????????

green-norwich

james-man city[dodgy keeper to say the least]

foster-watford[on loan from man u] very promising!

kirkland-4th choice liverpool behind carson,reina,dudek

carson-liverpool 3rd choice behind reina and dudek

and??????????????????????????

so tell me now green has competition for his england place

i didnt find it a ridiculous post, i found it quite realistic. I havent got a problem with him leaving as for the last for seasons whenever he has made an error he is greeted with a chant of "greeno" as if to say its acceptable,we should have got 5m from arsenal 2 years ago when people thought he was a decent stopper,now his values below 2m.Like you said you were at the game, so hands up everyone who sees everything clearer when they are inside a stadium,with pillars and people standing in front of you, rather than tv repalys.....no takers? i agree that from the way he kicks the ball agrivates the injury,the injury coming after he had kicked the ball,hence his fluff made the injury worse as he digs his foot deep into the ground as he kicks. Finally who have we seen the best of-well i couldnt agree more with that staremnet as the whole team have been a disgarce for 2 years and whos job is it to pick tactics?worthy! whos job is it to pick the team?worthy!who buys the players?worthy!who motivates the team?worthy! SO WHO IS TO BLAME? WORTHY !

The great advantage of kicking this particular man while he''s down is that he''s in no fit state to kick you back...

All in Yellow I agree with you, although I can think of a few blunders (but those are equalled by blinders) well said! (didn''t know about the Clemence thing though)

robert green is the best keeper in the championship.

and we still have one of the best squads in the championship

i dont why everyone is being so negative.

lets hope that all the whinging will stop before the start of the season

by the look of the messages on here i can only guess that the closest most of you have come to being a goalkeeper is when you get your subbuteo table out. Does no-one realise greens overated yet, im not kicking him while hes down ive said it for a few years now. Best keeper in the championship eh? What about paddy kenny, the american guy at reading, foster at watford, kiraly at palace, simonson at stoke, carson at sheff wed, sullivan at leeds, do you want me to go on?

also myre at hull who is without doubt the best in that league, even andy marshall at millwall is a better shot stopper than green and i hate saying that!!!!!!!

sorry did i imagine this but when we played tottenham in the premiership didnt every pundit fan etc

say that the two goalies on show that day where the best young goalkeepers in england.he done

some awesome saves that saves.

i say im happy with green until joe lewis becomes the best young keeper in england which he has the potential to be.

has anyone got anything positive to say coz we all sound like west ham fans when they didnt make it back in there first season in championship?

Fair comment, however, I had a great seat at Reading, no pillars, no people walking around in front of me. I was right on the halfway line just infront of the commenatotrs, who, I''d imagine, have one of the best veiws of the pitch. Did the TV coverage show how often Greenie was stretching his groin while the ball was at the other end of the pitch? I think not. My problem was with the original poster saying that Green injured himself because of a ''fluffed kick'' which was the part I was referring to as ridculous, not necessarily the whole post... Sorry for not being clearer.

can anyone honestly say they would fancy are world cup chances if england made the final and green was called in due to injurys-no!!! the idea of green in goal against the likes of ronaldinho, ballack, riquelme, henry, schwienstiger, tevez, shevchenko, torres- id rather watch itvs coverage of the final with andy dull as a plank townsend and ally"i can score in scotland but no where else" McCoist