Sign in to follow this  
Rossi

Nigel the £30m gamble?

The new tv rights for the Premiership have been sorted out.

From season 2007/8 the bottom club in the Prem will receive parachute payments of at least the current levels plus a minimum of £30m

If we dont get out of this division next season i fear we will never do so.

If you got relegated with £30m you would have to be some sort of clown not to get re-promoted becasue of the cash advanatge

And that my dear Rossi 46 is a huge worry. The season just finished was I reckon the easiest yet to get promoted from this division, we had a terrific chance at the start of the year and blew it. That even after the season we had we were still in with a shout of the playoffs so late tells a story.

Unfortunately with so much money on offer in the Prem next year I can see any number of Champ clubs borrowing up to the max and a winner takes all attitude as anyone of ten heavily financed clubs battle it out for promotion towards the end of the season. The few that go up will ensure funding for a sustained attempt at Prem survival, some of those that don''t will regroup, remortgage more of the ground and try again and I can see the odd one or two hitting financial meltdown with wage bills beyond their means forced to sell players to pay the bills and staring down bankruptcy in no time at all.

It''s an upping of the stakes,  if 24 teams each spent £20 million on players and wages next year gambling for that money there can still only ever be three winners and twenty one losers, just as if each club had spent a total of only one million each. Obviously not every club will be prepared to gamble that sort of money but the return is high, You''d back Birmingham, West Brom and Sunderland to spend their parachute payments and more, then the likes of Wolves, Palace, Leeds, might go for it, add one or two clubs out the blue and suddenly good old Norwich are a team of financial minnows in the Championship!!!!!!!

Maybe Nige was just a year ahead of his time when he declared finishing seventh in the Championship would be a good result? There''s certainly going to be six teams in the least outgunning us finacially next year with that sort of prize money on offer.

Yep, the board are taking a massive gamble on keeping Worthington in charge for next season.

I fear that there is a very good chance that it will all end in tears.

If we don''t get off to a flying start next season is going to the way that the second half of this season went in terms of the atmosphere etc.

It is crazy really when i think about it. It really would be in everybodies best interests if the club had a change of manager for the start of next season.

That way Nigel would leave the club with his reputation and dignity still relatively intact, the fans would be chomping at the bit for the start of next season with new found optimism, Delia and the board would the faith and confidence of the fans back.

But no, they decide to carry on with Worthington for next season despite the vast majority imo of fans wanted change this summer.

It could get even nastier next season.

We will see.

We wont get out of this division with Worthy in charge ever again...

30 million is a lot of money.,... but its how u use it...

Look at the transfer Fee''s Ade Akinbiyi has cost in his career... then look at how cheap others have been in comparison .

Also, id doubt any club would get 30 million to spend as theres over heads etc... players to pay off, and other financial wrangles to iron out... id guess a manager would get around 10 million to spend.. with the club keeping 10... and the last 10 going to pay bills.

jas :)

Well it''s a gamble either way really if you keep Worthy or not! Who''s to say a new manager would do better and if there are any fortune tellers out there, then what are the six lucky numbers this Saturday!

Seems to me that the board are sticking with Worthy for now and "us" fans have to wait and see what happens over the summer for that feel good factor to return.

If we make some astute signings and keep our quality players, whilst letting those that have not performed go I see no reason why we can''t be in with a shout of the play-offs at least. Then again I could easily see us struggling if results start bad. Lets hope the new coach inspires "us" and a few new signing one like Sutton coming home would impress me, then we might all be smiling end of July!

Life like football is a gamble, but if we new the outcome in advance where would the fun be...

Cup half full or like mine tonight overflowing... Still I might spill that cup soon and be very empty.