Sign in to follow this  
Temp the Revelator

Negativity

No, not that employed by the team, i''m rather hoping that the new forums will have less negativity in them!

For all those who are genuinely unhappy about the situation at the club, please at least try to be constructive in your arguments!

Here''s the first suggestion - remove Livermore, and replace him with Ian Crook.......

I like the idea of crook as a coach. Or someone who can help worthy out with the art of passing.

Also I''ll stop being negative about the club, when the manager stops being negative about the football we play.

Still new message boards, maybe a sign of new luck.

Rich what do you mean? I thought you were one of the people criticising Worthington for not being harsh enough in post match interviews!!!

I have read and heard all the negative thoughts and views by you and many others. Consider this-at this moment City have 4 points (should be 6) Our friends to the South have 1 point (should have been 0) and you are still moaning at NW. His man management skills have been suspect but last Saturday he was superb-not bowing to the calls for change ie bring in Elvis at the start-give the team the chance to redeem themselves-they did and remarkably less of the big boot and more onthe ground stuff. We dont need new strikers we need the ability to give service to the likes of McVeigh who is not 6 foot plus so with the introduction of Francis this should happen. After 40 years supporting City I remember the original words of "on the ball City" which include "Keep it Low" (NW and the hoard of coaches please note.)

On another note what vibes did others gather from Delia when she was interviwed by Roy Waller in the Gunn Club. She seemed to be fed up with inflated valuations of strikers when we can obtain the skills of people like Francis for very little money and If City''s accounts are likely to show a seven figure loss we have to be realistic to survive. Just imagine what will happen if Ipswich have a really bad run and are in say the bottom 6 at Christmas City in the top 6 there will be a real chance of that Club going out of existence. It will only need to happen to one club when a creditor says to hell with the prospect of a 5% dividend I might as well wind the club up! I know this might sound appealing to us yellows but the prospect of no local derbys is much less appealing-What do you think Highlander, bury yellow and green et al.

Ah my dear Heraldo. Reasonable words but we do need a quality striker and another central midfield player. I am not a great Worthy fan but he must be given a bit more time.
As far as Delia is concerned, it does prove she has a great passion for the Yellas but I make two points.
a) Worthy is a master at getting beneath the skin of the ncfc board I think someone advised him to do this when he first took the job. Let''s be honest, as ''nice'' as they are, they lack somewhat in the entrepreneurial department. The PR and Marketing department do not help. To get good press from the media will always strengthen a managers hand to help attract decent players. It is well documented when players come here for a trial they are well impressed with the set up. I also get the feeling that the board would not welcome an increase of funds from a benefactor/business man. Why would that be?
b) You mention those charming people at Portaloo. Whatever we have said or still do say, they really have got away with all their misdeeds. Compare their PR department. The media love them. The FA love them- The rewards for plunging many suppliers into financial difficulty is a fantastic prestigious game tomorrow night.
Me? I would be happy for them to end up in the Ridgeons League I certainly would not miss a local derby.
Saturdays game was a great improvement and we could certainly finish in the top six but I just can''t get too enthusiastic about our first team coaches. Worthy needs a really good assistant - come on Ewan complete your coaching badges!!

Chicken I was actually talking about the negative tactics I feel worthy employs.

But I''ve made it my new mission to shut up about worthington until at least xmas. Concetrate on the football.

Otherwise this board becomes a place where some ppl come on after a win and praise the manager, while the other half come on every week and criticise him after a loss.

I just feel that we concentrate on the football and come xmas we''ll be in a better position to judge.

All I can say in reply to the possibility of that particular scenario is roll on Christmas! Good evening Heraldo and why do I think that I may know you?! I personally cannot abide the derby games against the ''Towan''; they are too much of a health risk so far as I am concerned and definitely not good news for the old ticker! I note that my old mate Bury Yellow feels the same and while the total demise of the Suffolk Punctures would perhaps be overly unfair I do agree with his suggestion that a lengthy spell in the Ridgeons League might enable appropriate ego deflation to take place.........starting right at the top with Sheepo! I can remember Ipswich playing in the Suffolk Premier Cup and what pleasure it would give me to see Towan lift that particular trophy again after so many years!
From insignificance to great importance I am one of Nigel Worthington''s greatest critics when things are going badly and I certainly do not regard it as ''negative'' to make adverse comments if, as has often been the case, his errors are apparent to one and all. The fact of the matter is however that I truly want to be one of the manager''s greatest fans and I continue to hope that his future achievements with Norwich City Football Club will determine that I and many others are completely ''unworthy''!
On a serious note it seems to me that NW has inadvertently been running the team out on the park in recent months with the same boring caution and prudence that has been demonstrated by the Club''s Board of Directors in their handling of various off-the-field affairs, an attitude epitomised by Mr Doomcaster who really would make an excellent Chancellor! So far as I am concerned, like it or not, you have to take risks to be successful in sport and in doing so, regrettably, some will fall by the wayside. On the other hand, sticking heads in the sand can easily end up with exactly the same result...........the art of success is to try and find that happy medium where risk is minimal but something is achieved. To be fair, there are now encouraging signs both on and off the field that attitudes may be changing with the purse strings loosened and Nigel seemingly prepared to spend the cash. Believe me, we DO still need a quality goalscorer in the side but I also accept that additional cover both in defence and midfield is desirable. If we want promotion this season then we must continue to ''speculate to accumulate'' and in saying this I don''t think that I can be accused of negativity!
Let''s go for it!!

I disagree with you on a couple of things. What attracts players to a club is the financial and league status coupled with good fascilities. When you look at the teams we have lost out to in the transfer market this summer a pattern arises. West Ham, West Brom etc all have a stable ship at the moment that can handle another couple of tons (reletively expensive players wages wise) where as we were going out of our way to create the cash to bring one in. That means that the player in question is also the most likely to be sold on if a cash crisis should happen, or perhaps if the money situation in the league gets tighter.

Also I believe that Delia and co aren''t adversed to having another investor involved in the club, I seem to remember an interview with her on the subject of the new Proton sponsorship. She said that all the British officials etc had visited the club and that of course it was a brilliant deal for us. She also mentioned that the next thing she would like to happen is for the Proton owner, yes the fellow who gets all the dosh from Lotus etc, to come and watch a game. Now why would that be do you think? Also they may be a bit weary of outsiders because although Delia and Wyn-Jones aren''t the multi-billionairs of Chelski or the massively-millionaire of Hammam or Manderich etc they do have their heart in the right place. Hammam has jumped ship already, then you have Jordon at Palace who is over possesive in his role. The list goes on. I would much rather have the right people with less money than the wrong people with all the money in the world. Just think of that warlord-loving Italian bloke that tried to take us over a few years back!

Fair game! I dont think that we have negative tactics mind, but I think we may concentrate on defending a little too much, perhaps like the Italians, apart from more than often thier back four can string more than two passes together along the floor inside 90 minutes!

The team has proven time and time again that we can beat all of the teams or at least give them a good match when we actually "play" the ball more. Like Portsmouth at the end of last season. I think that having Fancis as well as Holt is a major boost as our midfield is now giving a hell of a lot more resistance allowing the defence to push up that little bit more.

Still 4 goals in 2 games is great and I think that so far it has been good, especially with other results also, Ip*&^%, Wigan, WBA and the list goes on. Anyway I would say yes Christmas is a good assessment point, but what will really brake the mold is if we go out there and blow away the traditional blues.

Lastly we dont need another central midfielder, we need cover for the right (Rivers) and at least one centreback. We already have Mulryne, Holt, Francis, Sinclair and then ofcourse Easton can play there and probably McVeigh if we got really stuck.

Highlander we seem to agree except for the local berby-could be due to being educated in a similar manner (KEGS RB&TC). The ticker needs some stimulation at least twice a year-remember events a few years ago Curetons goal against Towan comes to mind. We could always have him back on a free, he does keep scoring goals but now possibly has too much baggage.

If the Towan did reappear in the Conference we could always resurrect the Hospital Cup, I recall anumber of good games in the 60''s!
Keep taking the tablets

Its funny how some things never change... need a new striker and a midfielder... not happy with NW''s tactics.... change everything.

What can we learn from history?

We can learn lot''s of things from history Amarillo. For example....

REMEMBER how difficult it is to get promoted from Division One and how easy it is for good clubs to get relegated from the Premier....moral, when you''re playing with the big boys make sure you have a few big boys of your own

With today''s increasing gap between Premier clubs and the lower division, relegated teams not only have top players deserting a sinking ship the club actually has to throw many of them overboard...moral, make sure you have a good vessel that can hold it''s own on the high seas

Britain was once a world power and no longer is.....moral, don''t rest on the laurels of last year''s success

After supporting Norwich for a number of years, I believe that the fans have become incredibly fickle, despite the the incredible achievement that has happened since Worthy took over - on and off the field. Even during last year fans seem to want to criticise any possible small thing. Examples of this include;

1. Negative tactics played from Nigel, despite having the tightest defence, highest scoring, and in Huckerby, the most exciting player in the league.

2. Buying a player no matter the price or if the player is right for the club. Examples of this include the Crouch saga, and then people complaining at us for not going for players such as Earnshaw, Dawson, Reid, Ashton......all 1st division players at multi-million pound fees, where no matter how many times the club declare that there is little money

3. The treatment of Mark Rivers. At the start of last season he was our best player, and barring injury at forest could have really played a part in our season. They way fans have treated him since the arrival of "better players" is shocking.

One thing for certain is that if we have a bad start to the season (which given the fixture list is highly likely) it won''t be long before the fans start getting on Nigel''s, the teams'' and the boards'' backs

Robbo, I started this thread last August when we first moved across to the new style message boards. The negativity I was referring to at the time was there for all to see - first game of the season last season, 2-0 up at Bradford and tried to shut up shop - result? 2-2. And not for the first time either. Things very swiftly moved on from there, and as one of our esteemed posters has rightly said many times, Huckerby was one of our best defensive signings in years for what he did to the opposition mentality. The negativity was the main thing on the boards before they changed, and was still a big feature for another month or so, so my comment was also meant as a bit ''tongue-in-cheek''. In no way was I being fickle, I held the view of the majority at the time.

Here rests the defence, m''lud!

i am with you templeton, i was so furious on the way back from the bradford game, we just went to sleep and almost lost the match - but huckerby changed everything and for that we should all be eternally grateful

i have in the past questioned nigel''s tactics and he still can be too negative - but come on, he was positive in his dealings with the board - i remember a lot of us were slated on here around christmas time for having a go at the board!!! maybe someone will revive all those threads as well lol

and we have him to thank for his part in leading us back to the prem