Sign in to follow this  
Who killed the Croutons

Second tier on City Stand - now, later or never?

I think we should consider putting a second tier on the city stand now.

This is not an endorsement of ground before players but an opinion based on some sense.

Pros

1. Will it be cost effective - Yes delaying a decision could add millions to the build e.g.s Wembley (comprared to Millenium!), Jarrold Stand i.e. delaying corner infill ultimately cost more

2. Look and feel - It will balance the stadium - city stand looks out of place and of lower division capacity

3. Atmoshpere improved

4. Ticket demand met

5. We still have some prem money 

6. We are 15th best supported club in UK - yes yes I know only stats but even with increase less than 10%  of alleged fanbase

Cons

1. Increase debt - but possibly within managable levels

2. Risk of not filling - low to medium and depends on performance but see points 3 and 6 above to mitgate

3. Impact to buying players - the two should and can be separate - solution sell-off remaining land

If it is inevitable that we do it why delay lets get it done...and it should add an extra 5 thousand seats which I think would be at the stadium level this club should be at.

Be interested to canvass opinion..  

definately not now,

i think possibly upon the 2nd successive season in the prem

if there was another 5,000 seats, would the club have sold as many season tickets? Absolutely not. If season ticket holders knew there wasnt a problem getting a ticket, there would have been a significant number of holders who would have not renewed until Nigel had gone

besides, wake up and smell the coffee, where is the money coming from?

we are in debt to our eyeballs, serviceable or not, and Nigel has spanked the money from the Prem on useless players whilst the board have wasted unbelieveable sums of money on agents to bring the donkeys here in the first place

Absolutely no way. 

If the club is serious about getting back to the Prem, strengthening the squad must be the top priority right now. 

If the club is not serious about getting back to the Prem, the level of support will drop and they won''t need to do it anyway.

As stated in another post, I''m all for it, but possibly not just for the sake of it. I think it should be dependent on promotion and on this seasons performace that certainly isn''t in the bag

[quote]Look and feel - It will balance the stadium - city stand looks out of place and of lower division capacity[/quote]

I agree with this, hopefully it will give a much more symetrical look

to the stadium with the jarrold stand being taller at the moment

[quote]Atmoshpere improved[/quote]

Unfortunatly increasing the stadium capacity does not guarentee any

improvement in atmosphere, if the current "lazy" fans actually bothered

to sing, cheer, chant etc then the atmosphere would improve anyway. The

atmosphere is also directly linked with team performance we need to see

good, encouraging football in order to motivated the fans and install

some passion in them.

[quote]We still have some prem money[/quote]

This is our last season with parachute payments from the premiership

this money needs to be spent wisely and I do not think a stand at the

moment is a wise idea. The team looks in much worse condition, that is

where we need investment currently. Promotion next season and then we

can go for it.

This is certainly something that can wait and I don''t believe putting

it off would mean it would cost more later and even if we do it, will

the transfer funds suffer and thus the team? I''m all for a bigger

stadium but I''d prefer Premiership football to it, with it comes more

money that can be invested into the stadium.

not yet... we should wait until we get back in the top flight and can survive for 3 or 4 years... financially stablise and have the assests on the field to get us out of trouble.

jas :)

I agree with you. It needs doing and 30,000 would be the right capacity for us right now. 5000 seats at £400 each per season gives £2m in annual extra revenue so if it cost £5m to build then it should pay itself off pretty quickly I would have thought. Agree with you on balance too- stadium looks odd with a joke main stand. Main issue is likely to be Carrow Road outside- the upper tier would have to jut back over the road.

Totally agree. All your points are well made. I have thought for a long time the City Stand is an embarrasment to look at and there is no doubt it does effect the atmosphere in the ground and, as you mention, the overall look of the stadium.

The old wooden main stand was bigger and allowed for a more cross section of supporter types which generated much more noise than the existing stand.

It has also been mentioned on past threads that if the great Worthy One is to stay, then it''s best to invest the money elsewhere other than give to him. After all, what player has improved under Worthy? Nope can''t think of one.

Lets concentrate on getting in the Prem first. Get established there and then do the stand.

Nothing worse for fans or players then huge empty spaces and as we found out this year, it''s never easy getting promoted.

[quote user="Who killed the Croutons"]

I think we should consider putting a second tier on the city stand now.

This is not an endorsement of ground before players but an opinion based on some sense.

Pros

1. Will it be cost effective - Yes delaying a decision could add millions to the build e.g.s Wembley (comprared to Millenium!), Jarrold Stand i.e. delaying corner infill ultimately cost more

2. Look and feel - It will balance the stadium - city stand looks out of place and of lower division capacity

3. Atmoshpere improved

4. Ticket demand met

5. We still have some prem money 

6. We are 15th best supported club in UK - yes yes I know only stats but even with increase less than 10%  of alleged fanbase

Cons

1. Increase debt - but possibly within managable levels

2. Risk of not filling - low to medium and depends on performance but see points 3 and 6 above to mitgate

3. Impact to buying players - the two should and can be separate - solution sell-off remaining land

If it is inevitable that we do it why delay lets get it done...and it should add an extra 5 thousand seats which I think would be at the stadium level this club should be at.

Be interested to canvass opinion..  

[/quote]

You raise some interesting and debateable questions, obviously there are two schools of thought here, those who think we should wait until we are established in the Prem first and those who feel we should do it now.

If we wait until we are in Prem we will be playing in front of 16000 for a season when that figure could be double if we were to do it now, it will take a bold decision from the board which raises another question - are they capable of cutting the mustard when it comes to making important decisions? the evidence so far suggests otherwise

Just a quick point for those who are citing the atmosphere as a reason to build a second tier on the City Stand - it would probably make it worse, not better.

I''m sure 5,000 seats in the City Stand will be just as quiet, if not moreso than the upper tier of the River End (who''s to say the 5,000 "new" fans would want to sing?)

Plus, the reason the Snakepit is so loud is because of the acoustics created by a low-enclosed roof, which would dissapear if a second tier was to be added.

But yeh, maybe when were an established Prem side.

The more observant amongst you will recall the club lodged a planning application for residential development on more land the club owns along the river.

Given the board reluctance to invest these sorts of monies into players I think that there a strong chance that once consent is granted and a deal is struck with a developer then another tier on the City Stand will follow.

Demand consistently outstrips supply for tickets and asides from generally finishing the ground off and enhancing the overall environment I believe it would make sound commercial sense.

Just think, for the price of a new tier Nige could buy eight whole brand new Andy Hoose!

Absolutely not. We need to get the football right before we start adding to the ground. more of the garbage of the last 2 years and we''ll have ample space for anyone who wants a seat in the existing accommodation. Towards the end of the season, there were 1500 empty seats in the ground anyway, theres no demand. Football first. Everything else a distant second.  

I thought it was the jarrold stand that could take a second tier, not the main stand?

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]another poor season and it wouldn''t get filled, but we could always do an ipswich and pay for what we can''t afford[/quote] Or even get bloody Norwich Union to pay for what we cant afford. Quote me happy my arse.

Why don''t they just erect a gigantic mural of a 5 star hotel between the ''Jazzer'' and the Barclay - and waste the money saved on 30+ year old journeymen? [*-)]

I also wonder who will get the contract to shove another tier on the City Stand? Wouldn''t be CA*TERS by any chance would it? [;)] 

Especially as NorwichUnion have now got a 10% stake in the binners...

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Especially as NorwichUnion have now got a 10% stake in the binners...[/quote] I think ''norwich Union'' is an outdated name for an outdated concept. ''Scummers Union'' has a more realistic feel to it. Thats what i''ll be calling them from now on.

Norwich Onion - aren''t they known as Aviva or some such now? Sounds like a crappy 1960''s Vauxhall model, doesn''t it?