Sign in to follow this  
Cheeky Monkey

What's it Worth to get Worthington OUT?

We all know that Worthington is on a one year rolling contract. If he was sacked, probably Livermore would be too.

Let''s say it costs the club £750,000 to £1m.

Is it worth it to get him out?

I say yes.

Yes from too Cheeky, in the long term best interests of the club, I''d say double of what you estimated would still be worth it.

If that''s what it costs then definitely not. No point in throwing money around, because we''ll have to pay someone a big fee to poach their manager and big wages too, for the right man.

I think that million would be better spent on a director of football that oversees coaching and scouting.

If it costs that much, it is as good as a new player. A decent manager would be able to get the best out of our better, none journeymen, players. Passing the ball instead of the hoof. If you can get 25% more out of the misfiring, misused, mispositioned players, then its a wise move. Such a new manager would also sort out the problem areas such as central midfield and the right wing as it is glaringly obvious that our current manager has not addressed this over the past few seasons.

Mook, you had some good thoughts on the thread where you exchanged views with Tumbleweed. In my view, however, your position is penny wise and pound foolish as far as Worthington is concerned.

[quote user="Mook"]

If that''s what it costs then definitely not. No point in throwing money around, because we''ll have to pay someone a big fee to poach their manager and big wages too, for the right man.

I think that million would be better spent on a director of football that oversees coaching and scouting.

[/quote]

Getting to the Premier is worth 30 million pounds now Mook, so getting rid of Worthington has to be set against that figure. As YC rightly says, £1 million now looks well worth the risk.

Up to £30 million if his replacement can guide City to the Premiership - even more if he can turn them into an established Premiership club.

Ok, so we''ve have our last parachute payment.  This will force us to become a selling club again if we don''t get promoted this coming season.  However, there is no guarantee that a successor to Worthington would be as capable as he has been in getting us out of this league.  And as he got us there in the first place, shouldn''t he be given the chance to get us back there again ?

I''d rather see the money spent on a decent right-winger, or a central midfielder.  Or the new first team coach.

[quote user="Thorny"]If it costs that much, it is as good as a new player. A decent manager would be able to get the best out of our better, none journeymen, players. Passing the ball instead of the hoof. If you can get 25% more out of the misfiring, misused, mispositioned players, then its a wise move. Such a new manager would also sort out the problem areas such as central midfield and the right wing as it is glaringly obvious that our current manager has not addressed this over the past few seasons.[/quote]Hmmmm. I think what you mean is that he has tried to address the central midfield and right midfield positions but has either failed or not provided sufficiant cover in those departments. I mean you can argue that he hasnt tried to address those positions when he brought in Francis and Marney, add to that Robinson, Jarrett and Etuhu.Infact I would say that the problem has been getting some quality in and keeping it. Rivers was quality for a season or so and by far the most pace filled winger we have had there since Fox which is rather worrying - although his end product was never as good as Nedergaads.

Interesting comments. However - YES or NO. Would you get rid of him for a £1m. I think the Board need to know who would and who wouldn''t.

I certainly don''t believe any old bugger can come in here and get us promoted. From a distance it looks easy, but it ain''t.

Supposing we gamble on a payoff, get in some ****** like Venebles or Hoddle on big bucks and it doesn''t work? Then we''re really up the creek, out of parachute payments and destined for the lower leagues.

I''m not saying it might not be worth it - I just don''t think it''s as easy as "get him out, get promoted".

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Ok, so we''ve have our last parachute payment.  This will force us to become a selling club again if we don''t get promoted this coming season.  However, there is no guarantee that a successor to Worthington would be as capable as he has been in getting us out of this league.  And as he got us there in the first place, shouldn''t he be given the chance to get us back there again ?

[/quote]

And I thought he just had a chance (and spent 5 million on players too) but ****** it up big time??  But I guess thats just me..

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

Getting to the Premier is worth 30 million pounds now Mook, so getting rid of Worthington has to be set against that figure. As YC rightly says, £1 million now looks well worth the risk.

[/quote]

I don''t suppose that you have considered the very slight possibility that Worthington''s successor might not get us instant promotion have you?

It would be more cost effective to move Worthless upstairs to chief scout to see out his contract and not to renew the rolling one.The club would then be able to search out  the right man who could then build his staff and team.This may entice more applicants for the post as they could have better funding for their dealings.Worthless would not then end with up with a huge payoff that would effect the club and not the last laugh on us.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]And as he got us there in the first place, shouldn''t he be given the chance to get us back there again ?

I''d rather see the money spent on a decent right-winger, or a central midfielder.  Or the new first team coach.[/quote]

Erm, I think you''re contridicting yourself here. IF Worthington was any good he would have realised that we needed decent money spent on a decent right winger and a central midfielder when he got us promoted - not two seasons later!

He took us up and back down again. Previous managers such as Stringer took us down but back up again. Worthington has had one season to get us back up again and failed dismally or has that slipped some fans minds, when he had money to spend and unwisely. Misfits of midfielders and no attempt at getting a natrually right sided midfielder. Poor management and doesn''t deserve a chance to waste the last of the parachute money when he has no ambition, belief or desire.

Looks like people would not pay the million to get rid of him. Well, that''s the reality so I reckon he''s gonna stay.

Another year of mediocrity.

[quote user="streakey"]It would be more cost effective to move Worthless upstairs to chief scout to see out his contract and not to renew the rolling one.The club would then be able to search out  the right man who could then build his staff and team.This may entice more applicants for the post as they could have better funding for their dealings.Worthless would not then end with up with a huge payoff that would effect the club and not the last laugh on us.[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Chief scout!

It would be cheaper to sack him than let him bring in more hoofers

We all know he''s going to stay, so is this thread not slightly pointless?

In fact, isn''t all this negativity towards the players, staff and board a bit pointless when we ALL know we''re stuck with them all for at least another 6 months?!

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]Up to £30 million if his replacement can guide City to the Premiership - even more if he can turn them into an established Premiership club.[/quote]

First we have to spend the money gtting worthington and Livermore out. Then we have to spend big money attracting a big name to this club becasue im sure you guys probably wont settle for someone in the Addie Boothroyd mold. Thirdly the wages of this new manager, and this is all on the assumption that he will get us into te premiership...Anyone remember Bruce Rioch?

The board won''t gamble such an amount unless they thought it necessary, and as the club is sitting pretty so is worthy. We''d have to be close to relegation to threaten Worthy''s position at the club, or over 1/2 way through the season and in a medioca position such as 14/15th but even then I''m not sure he''d be sacked. While the club is nice and comfy in the Championship the board will have no reason to sack him. I hope he brings us success because I don''t like the idea of Norwich being in a dangerous position, even to get worthy sacked I''d never wish it upon the club as we might not recover.

I do remember Rioch and if he''d had the money to spend that Worthington has had he would have got us to the Prem and kept us there - just take a proper look at his record.

Anyway with all due respect to Cheeky I think you''re asking the wrong question. If Worthington is on a 12month rolling contract, which I think the club have confirmed he is, then unless someone else wants him which seems pretty unlikely, then it will cost us a year''s wages to get rid of him whether we do it now, at Christmas or in five years time.

IMO it should be now before he wastes the rest of our parachute money - lets face it if it had happened last summer it would have been paid for by not signing Hughes and Etuhu, win win or what?

If he leaves of his own accord we wouldn''t have to pay him either. I was just interested to see how many fans would pay the £1m. I have heard from a very reliable close source that £1m is the main reason why he has not been sacked.

Personally I think its worth a £1m. Obviously other don''t, which is just what the Board want to hear. So in other words the Board seem to be acting on behalf of most of their supporters. Case closed. Another year of mediocrity.

Shame.

Any job USAC  would do it was an example only ,better than director of football.. Our scouts don''t do a lot as it is .At least he would just fade away and may get disollusioned and leave.Drip feeding him wages is better than a huge payoff  for us and we get to have the last laugh .At least his hoofball tactics would not be unleashed on any other club and their fans for a while.

It is a mute discussion as there will be no change but having committed ourselves to a £1m compensation payment I think it would be money well spent now - the board clearly have another view.

Of course it will be a drain on resources and any new manager comes with no guarantee - but Nigel does not come with any either and the last two seasons have seen us fail to make the best of the significant opportunities available to us - next season is another good one but after that it gets tougher for the manager - whoever it may be..

A new manager gives us the chance to rebuild and replan the next 5 years with a greater integration of the youth side of the club to the first team as a cost effective way of building strength in depth. 

All I can do is hope that nigel has a road to damascus affirmation during the close season, learns some real lessons from the last couple of years and makes some changes that are clear and definitely needed, including his own approach,

[quote user="chazza"]whats it worth? simple,the premiership 30 million[/quote] I want to see Worthy replaced but I don''t think there''s any guarantee that a new manager coming in will take us straight up to the prem!

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]

I do remember Rioch and if he''d had the money to spend that Worthington has had he would have got us to the Prem and kept us there - just take a proper look at his record.

Anyway with all due respect to Cheeky I think you''re asking the wrong question. If Worthington is on a 12month rolling contract, which I think the club have confirmed he is, then unless someone else wants him which seems pretty unlikely, then it will cost us a year''s wages to get rid of him whether we do it now, at Christmas or in five years time.

IMO it should be now before he wastes the rest of our parachute money - lets face it if it had happened last summer it would have been paid for by not signing Hughes and Etuhu, win win or what?

[/quote]

I wouldn''t put Etuhu down. I think that he will develop into a better player than Francis ever was. You have to give players some chance to settle into the team as we have seen time after time.