Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

NAME THAT TEAM - Bury (H) 1997

Cheers Pete.  A little more challenging than I expected. 

Had to dig out the old programme, which in addition to your team listed some players that I''d forgotten all about (Victor Segura) or didn''t even know we had (Karl Simpson?? - apparently he came on as sub in that game for the LW). 

Took a while but cracked it eventually.

Interesting again that there are players out of position , I cant remember the last one that didnt have at least one of these..

What a struggle that was! I just couldn''t think of the right back or the 5 letter centre back so I had to look them up. I probably should have worked out the man (playing out of position?) at RB, but I wouldn''t have found the CB no matter how long I thought about it.

[quote user="Maverick"]

Took a while but cracked it eventually.

Interesting again that there are players out of position , I cant remember the last one that didnt have at least one of these..

[/quote]Not to mention that this must be possibly one of the worse teams ever fielded - you have got to feel sorry for Bellamy, Adams and Jackson. More so with Bellamy - what was he? 17/18 at the most surely.Its nice to see that Citizen JF has decided to make a joke on the matter but the only players I can see playing out of position are Sutch and Forbes. Lee Marshall started his career playing in defence.Sutch was only out of position as far as that he favours his right foot but was well known as a utility man.One thing to note is that it wasnt that long ago that we still had some of these players on the books, Rioch started the cull and Worthington finnished it.

[quote user="chicken"]

One thing to note is that it wasnt that long ago that we still had some of these players on the books, Rioch started the cull and Worthington finnished it.

[/quote]

You are right here Chicken,  Its funny actually that Rioch and Hamilton did actually pick up some good players (Altho Hamilton did sign an awful lot of rubbish too).  Hamilton managed to not play the best players he signed!!

I may have been the only one but I though Rioch was a good manager - just didnt have the money that the team has now.If the success of recent years has to be praised to people I think he deserves as much praise as Worthington. I think with Anselin and De Blasiis he showed the board what price success would come at.He also started the revolution. In some ways thats why I think Worthington should be given another shot. Because the board have not been as possitive as he has obviously wanted to be. Francis is a great example of that and so is Boothroyd.

I remember that game ! Marshall made a terrible mistake after sutch headed it back to him. I think the ball went through Marrshall''s legs when he attemted to smother it then the Bury striker Tony Battersby tapped it home. I can''t remember who scored for Norwich but I remember we were 2-1 up untill the last few minuetes then Lennny Johnrose scored to make the score even. A nice volleyed goal at the barclay end. It may have came off the bar. Seems strange that I can''t remember who scored for us   Embarrassed [:$] ! hand on heart I usually am a machine at these sorts of things !