Sign in to follow this  
Swifty McVeigh

You know we've has a bad season when Gary Doherty wins POTY...

As you will gather from he title of this email, I am not a Gary Docherty fan, and although he tries his best, the guy is a donkey.  He can''t organise (as Malky could), he can''t pass - the only one he has is the toe-punt to Hux and the only thing he is good at is the bear hug on the edge of our box.This is the guy we voted our Player of the Year.  It''s unbelievable, and in my opinion he''s only marginally better than Hughes.  I dread to think what the core of our team will be next year - Gallagher - Docherty - Hughes - Howard?I for one am thouroughly depressed with our evident lack of ambition in attracting any decent players, and instead signing donkey''s, and it has to stop. Player of the year should have been either McKenzie or McVeigh - possibly Hucks.By crowning ''The Doc'' as our best player it really does demonstarte haow far we have fallen under the Worthington regime.I can''t put into words how frustrated I have become, and if this Peter Shirtliff (worthy''s mate) comes in as a coach I really fear the situation is just going to get worse.For goodness sake Doncaster, get rid of this embarrassment currently running our club!

Agreed, Swifty. Think Doc''s win was more a combination of media hype and the fact that many of the other players either didn''t play as much or were so bad rather than ability. He''s nowhere near Mackay in terms of goal threat, headering or leadership. And the things he does do well are only on a par with Mackay and not superior. No better than an average Championship defender in my eyes.

But then, Fleming won POTY a few seasons back and he wasn''t even in my top 3.

Its not always the best player who gets the P.O .T .Y but someone who has made the most effort .In Docs case Worthless has broken him and he is now  just a  consistent hoofballer ,the type he wants.In the early days Worthless left him to rot so Docs had to conform .His reward for his efforts the Worthless P.O.T.Y. 

The Player of the Season awards have been strange choices for me over the past few years. How Fleming won it during the promotion season I''ll never know and the same goes for Doc winning it this year. When your in the pub and an opposing fan asks you "hey, who''s your best player?", Gary Doherty is one of the last names I think of. We have the worst defence in Division One yet somehow one of our defenders picks up the award. Downright bizarre if you ask me.

No your not missing anything - and its a shame this post is a few weeks out of date.But to be honest Doherty may have not set the division alight but has been consistant which this season the team as a whole has not been.Again I would ask you to look at how many different defencive players he has worked alongside. Malky had the advantage of having a consistant team about him. The season mentioned was also the season before Nedergaard played - want to throw him into the mix too?Basicaly Doherty has had Drury alongside him most of the season but thats it. He has played alongside: Fleming, Charlton, Shackel, Rehman, Davenport at centre back and the eight or so players at right back.Its hard trying to marshal a defence which is never the same for more than two weeks in a row. You start to pick up a rythem and then it gets taken apart again - great!!! Its like playing sunday pub league football where you just hope 10 of your mates turn up to be able to put out a full squad - otherwise your grabbing mates of mates who you have never played with before.

[quote user="Swifty McVeigh"]
I for one am thouroughly depressed with our evident lack of ambition in attracting any decent players, and instead signing donkey''s, and it has to stop. Player of the year should have been either McKenzie or McVeigh - possibly Hucks.

[/quote]

What exactly did Mckenzie do in his 11 starts and 9 subs that makes you feel he should have been POTS?

[quote user="Swifty McVeigh"]As you will gather from he title of this email, I am not a Gary Docherty fan, and although he tries his best, the guy is a donkey.  He can''t organise (as Malky could), he can''t pass - the only one he has is the toe-punt to Hux and the only thing he is good at is the bear hug on the edge of our box.

This is the guy we voted our Player of the Year.  It''s unbelievable, and in my opinion he''s only marginally better than Hughes.  I dread to think what the core of our team will be next year - Gallagher - Docherty - Hughes - Howard?

I for one am thouroughly depressed with our evident lack of ambition in attracting any decent players, and instead signing donkey''s, and it has to stop. Player of the year should have been either McKenzie or McVeigh - possibly Hucks.

By crowning ''The Doc'' as our best player it really does demonstarte haow far we have fallen under the Worthington regime.

I can''t put into words how frustrated I have become, and if this Peter Shirtliff (worthy''s mate) comes in as a coach I really fear the situation is just going to get worse.

For goodness sake Doncaster, get rid of this embarrassment currently running our club!
[/quote]

The fact that you called your post an email shows how much you know. We are all frustrated but you should be able to gather that Doherty was the fans choice. By posting on here that he is rubbish you will not gain much support, also the fact that he was voted for by so many means that you are probably wrong anyway. No offence.

[quote user="BedsCanary"]

The Player of the Season awards have been strange choices for me over the past few years. How Fleming won it during the promotion season I''ll never know and the same goes for Doc winning it this year. When your in the pub and an opposing fan asks you "hey, who''s your best player?", Gary Doherty is one of the last names I think of. We have the worst defence in Division One yet somehow one of our defenders picks up the award. Downright bizarre if you ask me.

[/quote]Hang on BEDS defending is not just about the defence the rest of the team have to help as well ,teams just run through our midfield and leave our defence exposed numreous times throughout a game as well as sitting to far back and coupled with a out of form and no confidence green  ,the doc has made some great last ditch tackles as well as winning a fair amount of headers i think the flack he is getting on this thread is well out of order . As for Flemming winning the POTS it was fully deservered he had a tremdous season and was a rock along side malky .

i have watched Doc a few times last season. Against worse opposition he looks very impressive ie winning all the headers and clearing the danger. But against fast and clever strikers he is always too slow and caught out of position. We need a new centre back to go with Shackell

[quote user="barclayendboy"][quote user="BedsCanary"]

[/quote]

Hang on BEDS defending is not just about the defence the rest of the team have to help as well ,teams just run through our midfield and leave our defence exposed numreous times throughout a game as well as sitting to far back and coupled with a out of form and no confidence green  ,the doc has made some great last ditch tackles as well as winning a fair amount of headers i think the flack he is getting on this thread is well out of order . As for Flemming winning the POTS it was fully deservered he had a tremdous season and was a rock along side malky .
[/quote]

That may be, but Doherty still didn''t do enough for me to even be in consideration for the award. It''s all about opinions I guess. Whenever I think of Gary Doherty and his abilities I have this vision of him manhandling strikers in all sorts of ways - giving away 30% of all our conceded free kicks, and being completely over-run against better opposition.

I think the point of the thread was that Doherty is Mackay''s replacement. Yet whilst we''re awarding Doherty player of the year, Malkay Mackay is on his way to the Premiership (again [*-)] )and I''m sure most Norwich fans would agree that they''d rather have Mackay than Doherty. Yet Doherty was our Pots. Says it all really.

It seemed to me that there were not really too many options - imo to be the player of the season kind-of assumes that you have played the majority of the games (which does rule out most of the squad), and have been either a consistent or much improved performer.  When you actually look at the stats of how many players we had to use last season and how few games some played, it does make you realise just how many injuries we had - which can''t have helped the cause a great deal (whether it would have helped us to another 15pts or whatever we needed to be in the play-offs is debatable, but fewer injuries might certainly have helped).

The list of players playing 30+ games was:  Greeno (imo far from his best season), Drury (not really at his best), Flem (had some decent games towards the end of the season), Hucks (not at his best often enough, carrying injuries), Hughes (doubt many takers for him!) and Doc - who was pretty-much consistent and improved from the previous season.  I guess you could add WLY but he only played half the season.  Based on that, the player of the season would have had to be Doc, but not necessarily because he was a ''star'' but more because of others failures/injuries.

He is awful, I certainly didn''t vote for him (Hux got my vote).....but then somebody must have!!

Who?

Please post below if you voted Doc our player of the season. Lets see how many on here voted for him!

It would have been more apt if he had won a potty - made of finest quality porcelain, with his initials embossed in gold on it.