Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

The 15th most popular club in Britain

Not sure I understand the article - 15th most popular based on what ?

We have over 400,000 fans apparently  , but as far as I know the entire population of Norwich is less than 200,000.

Explain ?

Hope it does not include Worthington as manager in the vote .If it did we might struggle to get 92nd place !!

Editor , Chris and Northern - thank you so much for your insight , I never knew that people outside Norwich supported the club - what an eye opener..

In any case , I will still ask - where does this figure come from ?

Take the population of Norwich , 200k , then take out the following -

All those not intersted in football , those who support other clubs , exiles from other cities and students etc , other nationals.

That probably leaves us with 50-60k Norwich ''supporters'' in the city.You can probably double it once you take into account North Suffolk and Norfolk.

That still leaves about 300k to find scattered across the country , ''exiles'' as you call them.

I find it hard to believe that other clubs from cities with far higher populations do not have as many ''supporters'' as we do - Hull,Nottingham,Bristol,Coventry,Sheffield to name a few off the top of my head even allowing for the fact that some have more than 1 team per city.

I hope you understand my point better now.

Your figure of 200,000 would be the current population. I grew up in Norwich but left 20 years ago, you don''t stop supporting just because you move. Add up the number of people who have ever lived in Norwich and you''ll find it''s far, far greater than the 200k living there now. I still am aware of the whereabouts of approx 60 people from my "era" who no longer live in Norfolk, if they all knew 60 people and those 60 all knew 60......allowing for overlaps and double counting you''d soon have a very big list.

My Son has never lived in Norwich but is an NCFC fan, I also know people in Malvern and Shropshire who have no direct connection but support the Canaries. Look at the populations of Manchester and Liverpool and you''ll see you just cannot measure the fanbase in such a simplistic manner.

It would be nice if people occasionally looked up the facts before expressing a strong opinion. An Evening News article on housing shortages in Norwich recently put the population of "greater Norwich" at around 350,000 people. This is entirely believable as the population of Norfolk was around 840,000 last time i saw it quoted. If you then consider North Suffolk,Cambridgeshire and South Lincolnshire which contain many City supporters you are looking at well over 1 million people that the club can draw from.

NCFC have ALWAYS had the potential to be a very well supported club indeed-its just the small-minded attitude of various owners and a worryingly high percentage of the support which has held the club back.

Well, Maverick, I don''t understand your point better. In fact, the more you write the more murky you become. I think I''ll dub you Murky Maverick.

Why did you arbitrarily take up to 30% of the population of Norwich and call them supporters, then even more arbitrarily double the amount you arrived at by including the population for Norfolk and North Suffolk? Mmmm....I think I''ll call you Murky Maverick the Arbitrarian, possibly a rival ( in name only ) for Conan The Destroyer.

If the population of Norfolk is around 830,000 then, using your mathematical logic and applying the 30% factor, then Norfolk alone contributes 250,000 supporters. Or are you of the opinion that country folk are less likely to be supporters than the city folk. If anything, quite frankly, I think it''s more likely to be the other way around.

I think what you really want to understand, rather than your arbitrary mumbo jumbo, is how the statisticians arrived at their numbers. So why not just say that?

"These are the main findings of the latest Roy Morgan International

Survey of 5,213 people aged 14 and over in the UK, conducted between

September 2004 and February 2006"
So this survey is actually based on a sample of just over 5000 people. I get the impression that this market research company has been fairly creative with its findings.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]"These are the main findings of the latest Roy Morgan International Survey of 5,213 people aged 14 and over in the UK, conducted between September 2004 and February 2006"

So this survey is actually based on a sample of just over 5000 people. I get the impression that this market research company has been fairly creative with its findings.
[/quote]

Finally some sense. Did anyone stop to think how this guy came up with these stats? I wasnt asked, so its obviously flawed.

that is interesting Pyro Pete

must have been

add a million here

a couple of thousand here....

A decent sized sample so has some credibility but I suspect the poll was infiltrated but Ipswich fans who decided to sabotage the results.   Or it is clearly run by a group of ne''er do wells who deserve to be discredited at every opportunity...

Thats what happens to any poll result that does suit the pink uns posters particular view isnt it? [:D]

A better idea of City''s "true" support, rather than the number of people who might express an interest in NCFC, is to look at the figures for those who actually attend matches. The last statistic I saw for that was printed in the EDP not so long ago and was a direct quote from either Cullen or Doomcaster. They said they had 48,000 names on the club''s database. This represented 48,000 different people who were either season ticket holders, members or had bought tickets casually at sometime. A lot fewer people than this survey found, but still an impressive figure nonetheless. I suppose the figure may have increased to over 50,000 now, however.

can they do a survey of how many have jumped on the bandwagon of supporting us over the past 3 or 4 years?

jas :)

[quote user="San Miguel"]isn''t the population of Norfolk something like 6 million? If so, I don''t find 400k+ unrealistic at all![/quote]Nope, you''re mistaken sir. It''s 816,500 according to Wikipedia.

[quote user="San Miguel"]isn''t the population of Norfolk something like 6 million? If so, I don''t find 400k+ unrealistic at all![/quote]For Norfolk, think more around the 800,000 mark.

[quote user="Maverick"]

Editor , Chris and Northern - thank you so much for your insight , I never knew that people outside Norwich supported the club - what an eye opener..

In any case , I will still ask - where does this figure come from ?

Take the population of Norwich , 200k , then take out the following -

All those not intersted in football , those who support other clubs , exiles from other cities and students etc , other nationals.

That probably leaves us with 50-60k Norwich ''supporters'' in the city.You can probably double it once you take into account North Suffolk and Norfolk.

That still leaves about 300k to find scattered across the country , ''exiles'' as you call them.

I find it hard to believe that other clubs from cities with far higher populations do not have as many ''supporters'' as we do - Hull,Nottingham,Bristol,Coventry,Sheffield to name a few off the top of my head even allowing for the fact that some have more than 1 team per city.

I hope you understand my point better now.

[/quote]

Areas like coventry / nottingham / Sheffield have other teams to chose from, i.e. Notts County, Derby, leiceseter all in the region and for Coventry there are many other midlands clubs, same for Sheffield, two Sheffields, Rotherham, barnsley etc. the same cannot be applied to Norwich, unless you count Diss Town!