Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Should City Look Abroad For The Next Manager

This is not a Worthy in/out thread!!!  At some point however far in the future, City will need a new manager but do you think we should consider looking abroad the next time we have a vacancy? 

Should we look to bring in a manager who make good use of a knowledge of football from abroad and be able to tap into a rich resource of talent from other countries?  Could this propel to a level in the Premiership, by which I mean getting and staying there.

There are big risks with this and many, many clubs have failed but look at what someone like Wenger has done for Arsenal.  In terms of spending power they are not even close to Chelsea or Man U yet they have competed and excelled against them at times.  Arsenal paid the same for Viera as we did for Hughes and there are probably similar players around the world who we could pick up cheaply and have quality.  We just need to identify them and get them here.

Villarreal have a South American Coach in Pellegrini and 8 of their 11 on Wednesday were South American.  Who honestly knew a great deal about Villarreal until a couple of years ago?  There is success to be had in the foreign market but is it worth the risk of employing someone who will just never be able to understand English football and the style in which it is played?  Is it best go for someone tried and tested or go the FA route and look abroad?

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

This is not a Worthy in/out thread!!!  At some point however far in the future, City will need a new manager but do you think we should consider looking abroad the next time we have a vacancy? 

Should we look to bring in a manager who make good use of a knowledge of football from abroad and be able to tap into a rich resource of talent from other countries?  Could this propel to a level in the Premiership, by which I mean getting and staying there.

There are big risks with this and many, many clubs have failed but look at what someone like Wenger has done for Arsenal.  In terms of spending power they are not even close to Chelsea or Man U yet they have competed and excelled against them at times.  Arsenal paid the same for Viera as we did for Hughes and there are probably similar players around the world who we could pick up cheaply and have quality.  We just need to identify them and get them here.

Villarreal have a South American Coach in Pellegrini and 8 of their 11 on Wednesday were South American.  Who honestly knew a great deal about Villarreal until a couple of years ago?  There is success to be had in the foreign market but is it worth the risk of employing someone who will just never be able to understand English football and the style in which it is played?  Is it best go for someone tried and tested or go the FA route and look abroad?

[/quote]

I think there are plenty of candidates within british football and certainly wouldnt want a foreign coach in the championship.  At international level you are dealing with the best players a country has so you need the BEST possible boss to get them to play.  It is a different game to the championship.

Any suggustions?

Personally I don''t think we''d be able to attract a good foriegn coach but I would like it. I mean Stoke have got Boskamp but he''s leaving soon and the only good thing he did for stoke was buying Sammi Bangoura.

It''s a good idea for a foreign coach to come in but I don''t think the board would want one and I don''t there are many aviable who are both good and willing to come to norwich

interesting point. The Club would have to have a serious look around for a foreign manager and would have to be really sure about him. I think Stoke tryed to do this when they appointed Johan Boskamp, they wanted a manager who could look more into the foreign transfer market. In their case its been a failure so far and i think the end might be near for Boskamp. In Norwichs case i couldnt see us appointing a manager straight from an overseas club, but they would look for someone who has got experience of managing in England whatever the nationality.

Little Norwich isnt ready for a London Eye type wheel let alone ''furrin'' managers.  Someone with that sort of network knowledge would be good do Benitez or Mourinho have the same level of contacts - or do they just see they have money and so spend it.

I wouldnt be adverse by any means - best man for the job is the key for me;  Claudio Ranieri anyone?     At least the post match interviews would be fun!

If Worthy is here next season and fails we will have to search for a a new manager who can work on a very tight budget as

the para payments will be gone and we will be forced to sell our better players.

That type of manager will be used to wheeling and dealing (and spotting talent for nothing)

(A Dario Gradi type manager.)

When we are forced into becoming a selling club again then all you KTF will realize what a mistake you made at a crucial point in the evolution of this club.

If I post 6-12 months from now "I told you so" , we all LOSE.