Sign in to follow this  
canary2211

Coming off the fence.....and supporting our team

I have waited all year until now before I said my piece. Because it has taken me that long to make my mind up. Here goes - I hope this is not too self-indulgent but I can take your reasonable flak in response:

Yes, we have had dreadful results and often played below our aspirations and our potential.

Yes, there were times when I thought that a change of manager might be the catalyst needed. Because when it gets very bad in life or business, sometimes it needs a change somewhere.  Sometimes all it needs is time and resolution and positivism.

But I knew sacking Nigel was not a decision I could do much to influence. And in my heart and my head, I did not want to side with the WO''ers simply because too many of them seem to me to be bandwagoneers, capable of changing thier minds as fast as their choice of TV channel, and capable of forgetting some good things and over-emphasizing some bad things.  (But I respect entirely thier entitlement to thier opinions)

But then I recall booing at QPR away, and QPR at home. And screaming at Andy Hughes for making a mistake. Andy, if you see this I apologise because you did not do it on purpose, and I honestly beleive that you and every other player in a yellow shirt tries his absolute best: it is in the nature of competitive sport.  I also beleive that the manager and board and staff try their absolute best.  This includes Nigel when he operates in the transfer market. I asked myself how I would feel if 24,000 customers screamed and booed at me - and decided this was a wholly inapproriate and plain wrong way for me to behave. I apologose to the team and the supporters around me.

I believe in supporting individuals and being positive in approach. This builds confidence and success. The fans can, on Sunday, do thier bit to say to the team and staff "We are with you no matter what. Thanks for giving it a go this season - we know how you share our pain.  But we know that it will come right"

In October at QPR, I felt - he won''t go: he shouldn''t go until Sept/Oct 07 if things are really bad. I still think that. If we languish after 10 or 15 games, then whilst I shall try to be positive and support, and will continue to beleive that everyone is doing their best, But I might have to accept that that particular best was not good enough. I really hope not. I really think that this infuriating game is a tightrope walk, and the margin between 7th and top 2 is very narrow.

But until then - On the Ball CIty!     Anyone else out there share this view? I sense a lot of the silent majority might.

''And in my heart and my head, I did not want to side with the WO''ers simply because too many of them seem to me to be bandwagoneers, capable of changing thier minds as fast as their choice of TV channel''

Wiz, they''re talking about you again.

Sept 07 i.e. you advocate givibg the worthless one another 18 months, by then he''ll have convinced even the most one eyed supporter he should have gone 12 months ago.

You don''t enjoy watching good football then you must be a glory hunter.  Expect disappoinment.  Keep your powder dry until Sept 07 and give us the benefit then.

[quote user="canary2211"]

, and I

honestly beleive that you and every other player in a yellow shirt

tries his absolute best: it is in the nature of competitive sport.

[/quote]

Damien Francis.

As for Hughes, I''d run my nuts off for 90 minuts in a yellow shirt for

naff all, never mind several £k a week. Doesn''t mean I should be in the

team.

We need talent, tactics and flair, not just work ethic and effort.

Canary 2211,

That pretty much sums up the way I feel. Except I couldn''t put it down quite like you did.

Pete,

Canary2211 does enjoy watching good football and in his opinion, this is the right way to seek that out.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on the club. Big shame though about your sweeping generalisation of Canary and indeed all other supporters you mention.

Yes it was a typo - Sept/Oct 06 this year. Sorry!

And Pete - we all want to see good football and success - in that sense yes I do look for ''glory''.  I have a newspaper cutting on my wall of me at Sunderland 2 years ago - thats what we all want.

OTBC

[quote user="Getting off the fence"]I agree 2211 (I suspect oct 07 is a typo). I think the silent majority feel the same - although it probably won''t be reflected on these boards. I think QPR sickened a lot of fans.[/quote]

Will you ever quit with this ''silent majority'' rubbish?

You don''t know what the majority is...you are simply choosing to interpet ''silence'' as a vote of support for Worthington...

I remember how Squit went on and on - quite rightly - when some WO''s claimed to be in the majority without having the evidence to back it up.

It''s exactly the same for the KTF''s claiming to be in the majority - can you back this up with hard evidence? If not, you cannot make these claims.    

[quote user="huck tastic"]

[quote user="Getting off the fence"]I agree 2211 (I suspect oct 07 is a typo). I think the silent majority feel the same - although it probably won''t be reflected on these boards. I think QPR sickened a lot of fans.[/quote]

Will you ever quit with this ''silent majority'' rubbish?

You don''t know what the majority is...you are simply choosing to interpet ''silence'' as a vote of support for Worthington...

[/quote]

True - and nor do you. We are simply stating our belief based upon our experience and conversations etc. Let''s be honest there are many areas upon which you opine that you do not KNOW, they are statements of your beliefs. So be honest and consistent and allow us the same right to opine as you claim so forcefully yourself.

I have never claimed that my opinions represent the majority, whether it be ''silent'' , ''decent'' or otherwise...you routinely claim both...that is the difference...

I have never claimed that my opinions represent the majority, whether it be ''silent'' , ''decent'' or otherwise...you routinely claim both...that is the difference... [/quote]

Nevertheless, you regularly express your beliefs as if they were facts - that is the similarity.

So all opinions shoud be prefaced with some kind of....''please excuse me this is just an opinion don''t want to upset anyone hey I''m probably wrong anyway''...what utter nonsense...

A forum like this represents an opportunity to put forward a personal point of view, (hey guesswhat, called an opinion)...end of story

I simply don''t like this ''silent'' and ''decent'' majority rubbish though, because it is glib, spurious and unsubstantiated....

I''ve even read,  from you, that those of us who would like the manager replaced, didn''t attend the pre-match protest because we we''re drinking...and that adds offensive to the adjectives glib, spurious and unsubstantiated...

But anyway, ''please excuse me this is just an opinion don''t want to upset anyone hey I''m probably wrong anyway''

[quote user="canary2211"]

I have waited all year until now before I said my piece. Because it has taken me that long to make my mind up. Here goes - I hope this is not too self-indulgent but I can take your reasonable flak in response:

In October at QPR, I felt - he won''t go: he shouldn''t go until Sept/Oct 07 if things are really bad. I still think that. If we languish after 10 or 15 games, then whilst I shall try to be positive and support, and will continue to beleive that everyone is doing their best, But I might have to accept that that particular best was not good enough. I really hope not. I really think that this infuriating game is a tightrope walk, and the margin between 7th and top 2 is very narrow.

[/quote]

I hope you''ll accept that this is ''reasonable flak'' but on a point of detail the margin between 7th and top 2 is not remotely narrow  (this season), in fact yawning chasm would be more accurate. Even if we make 7th, we sit, one game from the end of season, a huge 25 points behind 2nd and a massive 41 points behind the leaders. This is the league that at the start of the season we were favourites to win.

Of course favourites dont always win (thank goodness for that) but to be so woefully adrift, having never at any stage of the season been in serious contention, IMO represents an appalling performance. This is compounded by the fact that the performances have been appalling! We havent been unlucky, we havent been robbed, we havent played good football and not got the results, we''ve just been a very poor football side.

Worthington may be desparate to finish seventh because he hopes some people will be daft enought to equate that to almost making the play-offs but again one look at the table shows how ridiculous that is.

So I''m afraid if this game is a tightrope walk then we fell off in August and never got back on.

I have a feeling that the Votes for POTS which will be revealed tomorrow, will reveal quite a bit - in my humble opinion, if the decision goes to Paul McVeigh, its a form of WO protest for a player who has been symbolic of anti-Worthington feelings; if it goes to Gary Doherty, whose votes are more likely to come from the so called Silent Majority, then its probably a vote for the wait and see lobby; and the third candidate must be Hucks - KTFs man?  Whatever happens, lets hope for better things all round next Season, and 100% support from us all for NCFC.

Huck tastic - I received the same inane treatment from Fence, so you shouldn''t be surprised at being admonished for expressing an opinion. 

Try to ignore his petty KTF mentality (that''s my opinion of the situation, anyway). 

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

Huck tastic - I received the same inane treatment from Fence, so you shouldn''t be surprised at being admonished for expressing an opinion. 

Try to ignore his petty KTF mentality (that''s my opinion of the situation, anyway). 

[/quote]

Cheers Link...

OTBC

[quote user="Jack Flash"]I have a feeling that the Votes for POTS which will be revealed tomorrow, will reveal quite a bit - in my humble opinion, if the decision goes to Paul McVeigh, its a form of WO protest for a player who has been symbolic of anti-Worthington feelings; if it goes to Gary Doherty, whose votes are more likely to come from the so called Silent Majority, then its probably a vote for the wait and see lobby; and the third candidate must be Hucks - KTFs man?  Whatever happens, lets hope for better things all round next Season, and 100% support from us all for NCFC.[/quote]

Or perhaps it will be just the player thats had the most votes, simple as that! There doesn''t have to be a conspiracy theory!

So all opinions shoud be prefaced with some kind of....''please excuse me this is just an opinion don''t want to upset anyone hey I''m probably wrong anyway''...what utter nonsense...

A forum like this represents an opportunity to put forward a personal point of view, (hey guesswhat, called an opinion)...end of story

I simply don''t like this ''silent'' and ''decent'' majority rubbish though, because it is glib, spurious and unsubstantiated....

I''ve even read,  from you, that those of us who would like the manager replaced, didn''t attend the pre-match protest because we we''re drinking...and that adds offensive to the adjectives glib, spurious and unsubstantiated...

But anyway, ''please excuse me this is just an opinion don''t want to upset anyone hey I''m probably wrong anyway'' [/quote]

But anyway, ''please excuse me this is just an opinion don''t want to upset anyone hey I''m probably wrong anyway''

Yes, you are as far as the silent majority are concerned!

[quote user="Jack Flash"]I have a feeling that the Votes for POTS which will be revealed tomorrow, will reveal quite a bit - in my humble opinion, if the decision goes to Paul McVeigh, its a form of WO protest for a player who has been symbolic of anti-Worthington feelings; if it goes to Gary Doherty, whose votes are more likely to come from the so called Silent Majority, then its probably a vote for the wait and see lobby; and the third candidate must be Hucks - KTFs man?  Whatever happens, lets hope for better things all round next Season, and 100% support from us all for NCFC.[/quote]

POTS includes a proportion for player of the month votes...........  Thus Doherty will win, even tho our defense has been pretty awful all season and he has been no better than average at the back...

Or perhaps the player any fan thinks has been the best will win it - irrespective of their view on the manager.  The 4 top candidates for me are, in no particular order,  Green, Doc, WLY and Hux.   WLY has probably not played enough to get it and the other three have been consistently amongst the best performers on the pitch.   Doc is probably rightly favourite for his consitency through the winter while Hux continues to excite despite the lack of quality around him.