Sign in to follow this  
BedsCanary

Player of the season...

So the Firm favourite to win PotS is Gary "bear-hug" Doherty, according to the Pink''Un.

No offence to the big man because he is undoubtably our most improved player in the last couple of seasons but has he really been good enough to earn Player of the Season? We have the leakiest defence in the division and he''s given away a scary amount of ''edge of the box'' free-kicks which have resulted in or nearly resulted in goals conceded. 

It''s reminiscent of Fleming''s win two seasons back, which I also thought was a strange decision by the fans. Maybe I''ve just been watching a different season to everyone else.

Cue ridicule of conspiracy theories but I agree completely. IMO Mackay was far better than Fleming two seasons back. Flem was not even in my top three. Doc has improved but he still gives far too many free kicks away for my liking. How many points have we dropped this season because of him? Makes you wonder whether the votes by the fans tells the whole story.

Then again, many fans apparently still support Worthington so that just goes to show their knowledge and understanding of the beautiful game!

There are not many players who warrant player of the season. I am torn between Huckerby and Doherty myself. I think Doherty has been solid but the players infront of him have not always helped. Without Huckerby''s goals this season we would be finishing alot lower than we are now put it that way. Mcveigh should be worthy''s player of the season because the guy saved his bacon in december.. 

I would say we were the weakness defence in the league, I mean think of Brighton, Crewe and Millwall.

Doherty is a good player but my Player of the Year would have been...........either Hucks or McVeigh!

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

Doherty is a good player but my Player of the Year would have been...........either Hucks or McVeigh!

[/quote]

Yep same here.

Firstly, how do you define "best" player?

Secondly, for a lot of older fans the winner of the Barry Butler is the player who most truly represents Barry''s spirit by giving of their best, even if they aren''t the best. 

I find it odd that our player of the year was a defender considering the leakiness of our defence. I would have had him in the top 3, but would of voted for huckerby.

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Huckerby was the only player worth watching this season (apart from Hughes - to remark upon how on earth he can possibly be a professional footballer). How did a clogger like Doherty get player of the season for God''s sake? What does that say about this team?

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]I find it odd that our player of the year was a defender considering the leakiness of our defence. I would have had him in the top 3, but would of voted for huckerby.[/quote]

Similar happened at the Binners - according to my friend who is a seaon ticket holder there, their fans have been ridiculing the defence all season yet all the fans awards etc went to defenders.  Most odd. 

I guess the problem this season was finding a player who was consistent, either in being in the side often enough or in terms of performance - and when you look down the number of players we had to use this season you do realise how many injuries we had.  

I didn''t vote, but there were only really a handful of ''real'' options - when you look down the number of players we had to use this season you do realise how many injuries we had.  For me the player should have been here the entire season (or as good as), played for most of it, and played well.....which did rather limit things down to: Greeno who should have been an option but had a poor season, Hucks who wasn''t at his best quite often enough for me, WLY who (sadly) came back into the squad a little too late or Doc who was consistent if not exceptional and played most of the time.  Out of that lot I guess it would be the Doc.

Hucks was down with a virus for God knows how long  Branston  !    as someone  who`s been hit  by  this illness   , I can  tell you that dragging yourself out of bed   was a big deal  , as for playing football  !!   

Just thought you needed reminding  ........

[quote user="BUC in Padova"]Who came 2nd and 3rd? I''m sure in past seasons the runners up have got a brief mention.
[/quote] Hucks was second and McVeigh third.