Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Am i the only one who thought our performance was an improvement?

I know we lost, but today i thought we played better football than we have done at home for months. We didnt hoof as much, we tried to pass the ball and looked a much better side. We didnt have the luck we have had recently, and if the ref had have given the pen and played an adantage we would have got a deserved win, as well as there on the whole in form keeper. Ok, there are players who were still crap, robinson and colin especially, but etuhu in my view is getting better, earny will score hatfulls and today made me feel more optomistic about the future.

We are 4 good players away from a top side, but i was more encuraged by that today than i was by wins over stoke, brighton, derby and QPR. Was i the only one to think this?

well atleast we didn''t hoof it today. they did try to pass and looked ok at times. but certainly room for improvement.

No you definitely were not. I really think that there was every attempt to avoid the long ball and that we managed to put together some very good moves going forward, I think that Huckerby, Earnie and Mcveigh showed that they could work together extremely well the more they get to know each others game and I thought that today Etuhu supported this very well. Our defence was sketchy at points, but looks potentially convincing with the return of Shackell - Drury is back on great form IMO. I thought we were unlucky not to get something. I stayed behind to clap because, although the performance levels and resort to the longball this season have been unnacceptable, the performance I saw this afternoon represented steps in the right direction which I thought were worthy of encouragement from the crowd. I don''t think that anyone is suggesting that they aren''t, at times, exasperated with Worthington, but this afternoon was an example of how we should be trying to play and therefore applause for players after the recent bad atmospheres was a good way to get this across to them.    

I don''t suppose that there will be many who can''t see past the result today, but I agree that the performance was, barring the first 10 mins of the second half, pretty good, and with a half decent ref I am sure we''d have won. 

There were enough signs to be reasonably optimistic eg Etuhu finally seems to have found his feet ove the last few games, something we can but hope will continue into next season, though clearly others are still not really there (Colin).  A few decent signings in the summer and we could have a good side - the question is whether we will get those signings....

i''d rather have a good performance and defeat to a good side like wolves than a 3-0 win over 10men brighton after a poor performance. It was clear  today we have some great players but no right side and striker who can hold it up, if we get 3/4 good players in we will be there abouts at end of season 06/07

at the time of writing my initial post there were no other posts on this board.
i think many supporters including myself would get off worthys back if we played nice flowing football on the ground.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

four good players away from a good side???  We don''t have a defense that can defend a corner.  Our midfioeld is shocking and our strikeforce is short.

Mickey Adams Coventry, he has spent nil money by the way, finished above us.

[/quote]

That really sums up your knowledge of football - you would prefer a Micky Adams side!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you even watch on the TV?

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]i''d rather have a good performance and defeat to a good side like wolves than a 3-0 win over 10men brighton after a poor performance. It was clear  today we have some great players but no right side and striker who can hold it up, if we get 3/4 good players in we will be there abouts at end of season 06/07[/quote]

we had Saffs and Shacks out so thats 2 of the 4!! . Yes there were good points against Wolves but why oh why did we have to wait until the last game to see that the players CAN PASS THE BALL?  Could it be that we have found a goal keeper that can find players with a throw? 

Yeah have to agree with you Matt i too thought we did try to play football on the pitch today instead of about 12 feet in the air!!!!!!,The ref done his best to spoil our game and we should of buried a poor Wolves team.

Yes Etuhu looked quiet good today and i have to disagree with you about Robinson as i thought he also played well!!!,But Collins was a bag of ####!!!!!.

The best thing for me was that our keeper pushed the ball out to our fullbacks sometimes instead of hoofing it down the pitch.

On the down side we need a target man as all our forwards seem to be under 5ft tall???????.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

four good players away from a good side???  We don''t have a defense that can defend a corner.  Our midfioeld is shocking and our strikeforce is short.

[/quote]

you have nothing positive to say ever, even when there is room to be optomistic you come out with this. Didn''t Mickey Admas get sacked from leicester? there will always be cases where teams on less resources do well, this is the nature of football. And then there are teams that spend tens of millions and are mediocre, it is not an exact science is it? If it was that simple we would care for it would we? Now stop finding futile arguments for how much better we should be and start showing support and being positive. My glass is half full!I guess yours is half empty of maybe half full of cyanide.

[quote user="chocolate nutter"]

Yeah have to agree with you Matt i too thought we did try to play football on the pitch today instead of about 12 feet in the air!!!!!!,The ref done his best to spoil our game and we should of buried a poor Wolves team.

Yes Etuhu looked quiet good today and i have to disagree with you about Robinson as i thought he also played well!!!,But Collins was a bag of ####!!!!!.

The best thing for me was that our keeper pushed the ball out to our fullbacks sometimes instead of hoofing it down the pitch.

On the down side we need a target man as all our forwards seem to be under 5ft tall???????.

[/quote]

Agree with all of that, especially about Jurgen Colin, with hindsight Edworthy could have done a good job there this season!!! I thought Etuhu, Robinson and Hughes all showed good play and hopefully the beginning of starting to gel. Maybe , just maybe with the right support and a good run in the side I think Etuhu could be our new Dam**n Fran**s but not as sulky hopefully!

Yes - i said on another post that we played better football yesterday which was refreshing to see. Two points where I beg to differ though.

1. Wolves - where does all this ''very poor side'' stuff come from? I thought they played some very good stuff in typical Hoddle style. Players looked comfortable on the ball and the stats suggest similar attempts on goal and corners as we had. We could easily have lost by more. If Wolves were ''very poor'' what the hell does that make the likes of QPR, Stoke and Derby etc.?? 

2. Ethu - the guy remains a complete enigma. OK he passed the ball on to the nearest yellow shirt on most occasions but apart from that one sizzling shot in the first half where was the impact, the power, the domination of the middle of the park that a player of his physique should be able to deliver? Too often he is caught daydreaming and is brushed off the ball by players half his size! Isn''t this exactly what the Preston fans told us he was like for them? Sorry - but I need a lot, lot more convincing that he has the ATTITUDE required. If he can, somehow, develop that really positive approach to his game then we may yet have a damn good player on our hands. In Delia Smith''s words , though, ''infinite patience'' may be required!!    

A loss is a loss however much gloss you like to cover another load of old tosh with!!!!!! Do`nt get lead to believe this bunch of "CHOKERS"can deliver us the goods next season .It will take more than a 2-1 home defeat against 10 man Wolves to convince me Ray Ducker and Uncle Tom Cobbeleigh and all that this is a springboard for future success at Carrow Road withWorthy at the helm.Stoke have sacked their manager .Brighton are relegated.Q.P.R are in turmoil.Derby have a untried manager.Truely impressive scalps!!At least 8 players are needed in the squad .Keepers 1or 2  if we lose both .Defenders 3 Colin and Fleming out.Midfield 3, Hughes and 1 other out take your pick.Strikers 1, Thorne out.Thats the minimum and to get top spot more ins and outs.OH and a manager lets not forget the root of the problem.

[quote user="Getting off the fence"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

That really sums up your knowledge of football - you would prefer a Micky Adams side!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you even watch on the TV?

[/quote]

well mate, mickey adams has numerous promotions under his belt, including a promotion to the premiership, and his side are above us in the table despite having spent no money on transfer fees, not having Huckerby Ashton or earnshaw.

Would I rather have a mickey adams side,  well if he doesnt order his players to hoof it up to midgets, its a resounding YES.....  also I dont think he insults his fans either.

yeah we played ok against 10 man wolves whom won and had a valid goal ruled out when we yet again failed to defend a corner.  SO what.  Its as bad as the away win at cardiff, thats all wolves did to us, sat back defended, didnt give many decent chances away and scored a couple of good goals against a pourous defense??  They just let us have a goal in ludicrous fashion....

However it was an improvement on QPR, I dont think I have ever seen much worse than those first 80 minutes against a team that hadnt won in 9 matches.....

2 Points

• Wolves had 10 men for 10 minutes, some of you are making it sound like they had 10 for the whole game
  • I have been a worthy outer since Christmas so dont say i''m just a worthy lover but, they are in a no win situation. They get moaned at by me included when they win and play shit, but then someone says (cant remember who) that a defeats a defeat even if we played well. So people who think like that should also be saying a wins a win, not moaning again.

I will be happy as long as we play well, because i know that if you play well 75% of the time you will get what you deserve and so will finish higher in the league.

Matt,everyone felt things could`nt get any worse after our inept adventure into the premiership and looked forward to a strong assault on the championship title race.What we have witnessed is a lack lustre performance by highly paid proffesional players week after week producing more lows than highs.If you have a job and do`nt produce the goods you are given a chance to improve,you do`nt and it`s the sack.They have had more chances than is acceptable to most fans and hav`nt produced the minimum in most performances ,thats the root of all the discontent,a few slick passes in the last game does not make the season look or taste any better!!!!

[quote user="streakey"]Matt,everyone felt things could`nt get any worse after our inept adventure into the premiership and looked forward to a strong assault on the championship title race.What we have witnessed is a lack lustre performance by highly paid proffesional players week after week producing more lows than highs.If you have a job and do`nt produce the goods you are given a chance to improve,you do`nt and it`s the sack.They have had more chances than is acceptable to most fans and hav`nt produced the minimum in most performances ,thats the root of all the discontent,a few slick passes in the last game does not make the season look or taste any better!!!![/quote]

I''m not suggesting that the season has been anywhere nere accepatble, but just noting that it was better and we moan whatever happens.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

2 Points

• Wolves had 10 men for 10 minutes, some of you are making it sound like they had 10 for the whole game

• I have been a worthy outer since Christmas so dont say i''m just a worthy lover but, they are in a no win situation. They get moaned at by me included when they win and play shit, but then someone says (cant remember who) that a defeats a defeat even if we played well. So people who think like that should also be saying a wins a win, not moaning again.

I will be happy as long as we play well, because i know that if you play well 75% of the time you will get what you deserve and so will finish higher in the league.

[/quote]

I was happier witgh the performance, altthough it was a long way from promotion material.  Our defense gave away 2 goals therer defense gave away one ludirous one.  More plaudits may have been given if Worthy had kept his gob shut, instead of having a go at fans.  I really think he wants to be sacked, it would certainly explain his bloody awful management this season.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Matt Hudson"]

2 Points

[/quote]

I was happier witgh the performance, altthough it was a long way from promotion material.  Our defense gave away 2 goals therer defense gave away one ludirous one.  More plaudits may have been given if Worthy had kept his gob shut, instead of having a go at fans.  I really think he wants to be sacked, it would certainly explain his bloody awful management this season.

[/quote]

I would not say that Worthy was having a go at our fans, maybe a go at the people who i would not really describe as fans, the sort of people who boo players and managers just because they are a little disgruntled not reallising that this is not really productive. I don''t call the people that try to bully proper fans into turning against the team , manager and directors as fans!

For me it was a clear improvement.

I thought we looked as good as we have all season in the first half with Etuhu having his best game for city;   We dominated the midfield, snapping into tackles, looking to pass and played far furhther up the pitch.   However the movement and strength of the front two was very poor and the final ball from midfield lacked any ability or incisiveness.     For all the wolves lack of possession they looked far sharper up front buit thought the back line played them fairly well, including Colin.

The second half was not bad but not as good as the first half;  the lack of movement remained but etuhus performance went down a level as wolves upped their play and I felt we lacked ideas, resorted more but not solely, to a hoof ball game and were second best to a wolves team whose confidence was up and ours down.

The quality players on the pitch were kennedy in the second half, hux, etuhu first half but Murray and Lescott stood out. 

We need to see this in games that really matter, not just end of season non entities when only the club had hyped its importance beyod any real world level. 

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Matt Hudson"]

2 Points

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would not say that Worthy was having a go at our fans, maybe a go at the people who i would not really describe as fans, the sort of people who boo players and managers just because they are a little disgruntled not reallising that this is not really productive. I don''t call the people that try to bully proper fans into turning against the team , manager and directors as fans!

[/quote]

I would not describe worthy as a manager - he repeatedly plays left backs in midfield and strikers at right wing?? His tactics seem to involve lumping the ball forwards up to short strikers?? and in his post match drivel he likes nothing more than having a poke at people who beleive he is making mistake after mistake after mistake.

He signs loan players on premiership wages and doesnt play them.  Tells players they are leaving then plays them ahead of those who will be here next season!!! Refuses to sign a right winger.  Repeatedly plays one of the worst footballers ever to put on the city shirt!!   he has let players go and replaced them with worse players, after promotion he has not improved the squad he has made it worse.  In fact we are worse of now than that average season after the play-offs, and at least for some of that season we were in with a shout.

You call this management???  I call it a frikkin joke!!!!  And a bloody expensive joke at that.

i thought the same matt - it was better to watch, but wolves were more comfortable on the ball.  we seemed to pass it like it was a hot spud, but it was an improvement on hoofball for sure.  with a new right back, right winger, tall striker and playmaker in midfield, we should be capable of mounting a challenge - if worthy can motivate the squad and get the best out of them - and thats a big if for me based on the last 2 seasons.