Sign in to follow this  
YGB

Chris Sutton

It''s not our goal-scoring we need to worry about, it''s the amount of goals we''ve let in....appauling!We need a solid defence and a good, creative mifield. We already have Earnshaw, McKenzie, Thorne, Jarvis, Johansson, McVeigh etc who can play upfront. Sutton has only played 6 games in six months with Birmingham because of injuries and he''s on £45,000 p/w....how are we gonna pay that? We shruggled to meet Huckerby''s £12.000 p/w didn''t we?We need a good defence/midfield...the goals will then look after themselves.

I have a few points to make:

1)  Just because he has a house here does not mean he wants to play for City, he may well be retiring and returning to where his family are.
2) With the exception of a small amount of players like Mark Hughes and Ian Rush, very few players come back and enjoy any kind of success.  Look at Fleck mark 2, he cost us £750k and he was a shadow of the players we had before.  Sutton is the past and I would much rather see a younger player brought in to the side.
3) Considering the injury problems we have had in the last two seasons I think it would be ill-advised to bring another player in with injury problems.

I think he would be a great partner for Earnshaw up front and he could fill in at centre back in an emergency. A good signing if his wages aren''t to costly. He was on £45,000 a week at Birmingham so he would have to take an almighty pay cut - probably 80% to join us. Would he really want to do that??

I would only welcome Sutton back if the wages and contract were right.

Norwich can''t afford to pay high wages or give a long contract to a player who''s best days are gone and is injury prone. He would be a good target man and an asset at set pieces though.

He could always play on a non contract basis like Mick Channon used to.