Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Don't get too excited about summer signings and the season ahead under Worthy

If you look at the signings made by Worthy this season, with the exception of Earnshaw, then you should not get excited about what he is going to bring in next. 

For a start we wont go in and buy decent players early because he has stated in the past that clubs know we have money, therefore he won''t pay over-inflated prices.

Whilst Etuhu, Hughes and Robinson are not poor players, they have hardly set the division alight, and quite frankly I cannot ever remember them controlling the midfield in any game they have played together.  Colin is struggling still, whilst Louis Jean hasn''t played for months. 

When bringing in loan players he states we will only bring in players who are better than we already have; he never gets around to giving them an extended run, but prefers to send them back, drop them, or put them on the subs bench (Lisbie, Rehman and Johansson).

Add to that the fact we may lose Green and Safri, and Ward and Charlton are definitely off and things are not looking too rosy for next season.  You can forget any of the youngsters getting extended runs under Worthy; he still had Charlton on the bench for the last few matches, after declaring he was being released.

I wish I could be optimistic, but the last two seasons have convinced me that our fortunes are unlikely to improve next season under the current management.

[quote user="silver fox"]

If you look at the signings made by Worthy this season, with the exception of Earnshaw, then you should not get excited about what he is going to bring in next. 

For a start we wont go in and buy decent players early because he has stated in the past that clubs know we have money, therefore he won''t pay over-inflated prices.

Whilst Etuhu, Hughes and Robinson are not poor players, they have hardly set the division alight, and quite frankly I cannot ever remember them controlling the midfield in any game they have played together.  Colin is struggling still, whilst Louis Jean hasn''t played for months. 

When bringing in loan players he states we will only bring in players who are better than we already have; he never gets around to giving them an extended run, but prefers to send them back, drop them, or put them on the subs bench (Lisbie, Rehman and Johansson).

Add to that the fact we may lose Green and Safri, and Ward and Charlton are definitely off and things are not looking too rosy for next season.  You can forget any of the youngsters getting extended runs under Worthy; he still had Charlton on the bench for the last few matches, after declaring he was being released.

I wish I could be optimistic, but the last two seasons have convinced me that our fortunes are unlikely to improve next season under the current management.

[/quote]

I think it all depends on the board and the budget they give him.  In all honesty whatever they gave him last season was not enough for transfer fees or wages.  We should have been looking at players like Sidwell but we got Hughes.  Unfortunately that''s what happens when you are given little to no money to replace 7 players.  Lets be honest, he spent about a million on players in the summer and we got that much for Helveg, Jonson and Svensson let alone the Francis money.  How can you replace 2 current and 1 ex-international player for £1m?  As well as the likes of Eddy and a few squad players like Mulryne Etc.  The answer is you can''t.

If the board really back Worthington, they should make the money available to him and let him buy who he wants, not make him scrabble around for the next best thing.

Agreed, Saint.  It''s also a question of WHEN they let him have the money. 

It looks as though the transfer window has brought the main buying/selling period much further forward.  If a player he wants is available right now, he should have the money now.  Otherwise the player will go elsewhere.  Not exactly rocket science, is it? 

And please don''t let us have any more of that "sell before you can buy" guff  from the Chief Exec''s office.  We''ve got the parachute money, and the squad is too small as it is.

And please, please, don''t even think of going ahead with the plan to rebuild the City Stand for at least another season.  Just because the bank will  lend money for capital projects (but not players), that''s not a reason to get into more debt.  Don''t do it. 

If more money was needed, it should have been given to Worthless last season when 2 relegation parachute payments still lay ahead of us. Now there''s only one left, and I fear that ''prudence'' will mean a further tightening of the purse strings.

IMO, a new manager would have far more leverage with the Club about what money would be available next season (because the Club would have to commit to a reasonable amount, simply to attract him in the first place) - whereas Worthless will be a pushover, because his job''s on the line (well over the line, IMO) so he certainly won''t rock the boat.

Perhaps the only saving grace is that Worthless hasn''t had access to every spare penny going - given his overall track record on loans and transfers in.  

Now - where''s my anti-depressants?  [:(]