Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

Southampton have the right man in charge ?

I notice that the results have improved considerably in recent weeks at Southampton. Anything to do with George Burley perchance?  I for one would have liked him to see him replace Worthless, but sadly it would seem we are stuck with the useless twerp until such times as the money has all gone and we are playing lovely hoofball and going nowhere in League One. What''s the betting that Southampton finish above us next season?

Rasiak and Fuller, a good partnership, youth players given a chance like surman.  Do they have the right man in charge??  Of course they do, they have a whole new starting XI and are 4 points behind us, 5 wins in 6 games.  He isnt having trouble helping his players form a team..

You''re probably right but ask the sc*m how great they thought he was after their second recent Prem season (when yes he did have pots of money to spend - totally underachieved and saddled them with the huge debt they are still recovering from). In fact, it was remarkably similar to the kind of regard in which Worthington is held by a lot of posters on this board. 

And, no I''m not sticking up for Worthington but just suggesting that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. 

Yes, as soon as he was appointed I assured my Saints mates that they would be back in the Premiership by 2007.

It''s not surprising things have started to turn around for them ... Burley knows this league inside-out and now Southampton have finally shedded away their Premiership baggage they will be a mighty force very soon.

OTBC

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]I notice that the results have improved considerably in recent weeks at Southampton. Anything to do with George Burley perchance?  I for one would have liked him to see him replace Worthless, but sadly it would seem we are stuck with the useless twerp until such times as the money has all gone and we are playing lovely hoofball and going nowhere in League One. What''s the betting that Southampton finish above us next season?[/quote]Again there is more too it. They were struggling untill they sold Walcott. The money has been re-invested into the club and provided some cash to splash on players. Fuller and Raziak are a good pairing at this level - their ability any higher however is very dubious. I would also question whether they would both play together both being tall target men? If so then maybe Southampton will be playing the long ball more frequently next season aka "hoofball".Burley is a good manager at this level and to some extent has a 50/50 reccord in the premiership. Although Serini, Marshal and Finidi George were not the most inspiring signings that you will have ever seen. Give me Ashton, Safri and Bently any day!All credit to him though he is doing well with them and has done well in the past with Ipswich, Hearts and possibly now Southampton although it is to early to tell yet. You also have to remember Derby - by all accounts not a great stint there either.

[quote user="macdougall has a perm"]

You''re probably right but ask the sc*m how great they thought he was after their second recent Prem season (when yes he did have pots of money to spend - totally underachieved and saddled them with the huge debt they are still recovering from). In fact, it was remarkably similar to the kind of regard in which Worthington is held by a lot of posters on this board. 

And, no I''m not sticking up for Worthington but just suggesting that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. 

[/quote]

its a good point, Burley let go of what was his teams strength and signed a load of foreign mercenaries....  I notice he still signs foreign players now but seems to have a much better success ratio with them.  RE a few at Hearts, Rasiak, Idiakiz at derby and the new southampton players.

Maybe he has LEARNED HIS LESSON.  That is what good management is all about.  Our manager does not, he makes the same old mistakes over and over again.  Left backs at midfield anybody?

[quote user="chicken"] You also have to remember Derby - by all accounts not a great stint there either.
[/quote]

for crying out loud Chicken, he signed Rasiak and Idiakiz for Derby and took them to the play-offs when he took over they were heading to division one!!  He then got the sack as he was having disagreements with his chairman.  Before leading hearts to an 11 game unbeaton start to the scottish premiership before again getting the sack for wantoing to pick his side which the chairman disagreed with.  He has overseen a complete clearout of Southampton''s squad and now has them moving up the table at a rapid rate - 4 points behind us. His Scum team got a 5th place premiership finish and he got a manager of the season award in the premiership.  Two European adventures for the scum.

He made a mistake signing foreign mercenaries for the scum and was given too much money by his inept board, but has since had great success in the foriegn markets - Learned a lesson perhaps, instead of just IGNORING THE RESOURCE like our manager. 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="chicken"] You also have to remember Derby - by all accounts not a great stint there either.[/quote]

for crying out loud Chicken, he signed Rasiak and Idiakiz for Derby and took them to the play-offs when he took over they were heading to division one!!  He then got the sack as he was having disagreements with his chairman.  Before leading hearts to an 11 game unbeaton start to the scottish premiership before again getting the sack for wantoing to pick his side which the chairman disagreed with.  He has overseen a complete clearout of Southampton''s squad and now has them moving up the table at a rapid rate - 4 points behind us. His Scum team got a 5th place premiership finish and he got a manager of the season award in the premiership.  Two European adventures for the scum.

He made a mistake signing foreign mercenaries for the scum and was given too much money by his inept board, but has since had great success in the foriegn markets - Learned a lesson perhaps, instead of just IGNORING THE RESOURCE like our manager. 

[/quote]Erm so far as I understand it he didnt get sacked for that reason from Hearts - that was Rix. Derby was not a flying start - I did admit later in my post that he is a good manager but as with all other comments on here and from our club you only want to read the bits you can ridacule which is why you havent bothered to quote my entire comment I should imaging.Would I want him here and now? Not sure - and as for a clear out - has he? I mean surely only having been there for half a season some credit has to go for what Harry had done prior to that which was to start playing a lot of those youngsters. He couldnt turf players out because he had no money or a transfer window with which to replace them. Like I said Walcott going has had a lot to do with the changes in the squad. They could afford to release players - paying compensation packages as you have to and then add to the youngsters now already blooded by Rednap.

i was about to pick up on the derby comment aswell. he did very well there, and they have definately struggled without him. he has so many plusses, and im sure saints are delighted to have him on board.

plus he''s got an extra 250k to spend from the win a player thing!

It''s high time the board woke up and realised NCFC are going nowhere whilst the clueless one stays in charge. My initial post was prompted by the fact that Burley was one of the nominees for April''s manager of the month - I smiled to myself and thought Mr Worthlesston is unlikely to be in contention for that award for some time!

[quote user="chicken"]

Erm so far as I understand it he didnt get sacked for that reason from Hearts - that was Rix. Derby was not a flying start - I did admit later in my post that he is a good manager but as with all other comments on here and from our club you only want to read the bits you can ridacule which is why you havent bothered to quote my entire comment I should imaging.

Would I want him here and now? Not sure - and as for a clear out - has he? I mean surely only having been there for half a season some credit has to go for what Harry had done prior to that which was to start playing a lot of those youngsters. He couldnt turf players out because he had no money or a transfer window with which to replace them. Like I said Walcott going has had a lot to do with the changes in the squad. They could afford to release players - paying compensation packages as you have to and then add to the youngsters now already blooded by Rednap.
[/quote]

ok Hearts, he had a disagreement with a chairman who wanted to be the manager or the like....

ok Youngsters here is a random Harry squad:

Southampton: Niemi ,Higginbotham ,Powell ,Hajto ,Delap ,Quashie ,Oakley ,Wise ,Prutton (Walcott ,61 ) ,Kenwyne Jones (Blackstock ,66 ) ,Fuller 

and another

Southampton: Niemi ,Hajto (sent off 86),Lundekvam ,Powell ,Higginbotham ,Kosowski ,Wise ,Oakley ,Quashie ,Ormerod (Kenwyne Jones ,81 ) ,Fuller

and another

Southampton: Niemi ,Hajto ,Lundekvam ,Svensson ,Higginbotham ,Oakley ,Belmadi ,Quashie ,Kosowski (Walcott ,76 ) ,Ormerod ,Fuller (Blackstock ,88 )

and another Where are the Youngsters buddy?? (starlet Walcott apart)

Southampton: Niemi ,Delap ,Lundekvam ,Svensson ,Higginbotham ,Belmadi ,Quashie ,Wise ,McCann ,Walcott ,Fuller

harrys last squad youngster folly gets his first league game....

Southampton: Niemi ,Higginbotham ,Powell ,Kenton ,Delap ,Kosowski  ,Folly ,Oakley ,Belmadi ,Ormerod ,Walcott

Here is Burleys last lineup so we have no players the same from Redknapps last XI to Burleys last XI, A clearout???  or not??  you make your mind up Chicken

Southampton: Miller ,Ostlund ,Lundekvam  ,Baird ,Bale ,Dyer ,Wright ,Potter  ,Surman ,Fuller  ,Rasiak

ok Clearout:

PlayerToFeeDate
Kevin PhillipsAston Villa£ 100000029-06-2005
Anders SvenssonElfsborgFree29-06-2005
Alledine YahiaSt EtienneSigned29-06-2005
Jason DoddBrightonFree29-06-2005
Jo TessemLyn OsloSigned29-06-2005
Peter CrouchLiverpool£ 700000020-07-2005
Paul TelferCeltic£ 20000022-07-2005
Mikael NilssonPanathinaikos01-08-2005
Fabrice FernandesBoltonFree31-08-2005
Olivier BernardRangersSigned31-08-2005
Alan BlayneyDoncaster£ 5000005-01-2006
Antti NiemiFulhamSigned10-01-2006
Neil McCannHeartsFree17-01-2006
Dennis WiseCoventryFree19-01-2006
Theo WalcottArsenal£ 500000020-01-2006
Brett OrmerodPrestonFree27-01-2006
Tomasz HajtoDerbyFree27-01-2006
Nigel QuashieWest Brom£ 120000031-01-2006
Andrew McNeilHibernianSigned31-01-2006
Matthew MillsMan CitySigned31-01-2006
Rory DelapSunderlandFree31-01-2006
Total: £ 14450000

and I see 11 players go in january alone!!!! That is a clearout Chicken!!!

Signed:

PlayerFromFeeDate
Dennis WiseMillwallFree27-06-2005
Darren PowellC PalaceFree01-07-2005
Ricardo FullerPortsmouth£ 9000028-07-2005
Tomasz HajtoNurembergFree28-07-2005
Djamel BelmadiAl IttihadFree04-08-2005
Bartosz BialkowskiGornik ZabrzeNominal06-01-2006
Jim BrennanNorwichFree27-01-2006
Alexander OstlundFeyenoordSigned30-01-2006
Grzegorz RasiakTottenham£ 200000002-05-2006
Total: £ 2090000

Loans (players in)

PlayerFromStartEnd
Kamil KosowskiKaiserslautern31-08-2005 
Marcelo TejeraPenarol06-09-200506-10-2005
Zak JonesBlackburn24-11-200501-01-2006
Darren PotterLiverpool26-01-2006 
Peter MadsenFC Cologne30-01-2006 
Jermaine WrightLeeds08-02-2006 
Grzegorz RasiakTottenham08-02-200601-05-2006
Richard ChaplowWest Brom09-02-2006 

Yes - Southampton have got the right man.   His record at this level is second to none and in the prem is a notch above Worthys.  I have no doubt they will be more competetive next season

As far as hearts was concerned the break up appeared to be due to the owner wanting his mates to play while the manager god forbid wanted to pick the team;  at Derby he fell out with the first team coach who chose to resign on the same day with the idiotic boaard accepting both resignations!   Both were accompanied by Charles Kennedy drinking type allegations. 

I have justed looked at the post transfer window record, both teams scored 23/45 points from their 15 games.  We out scored them with 21 goals to their 19 but conceeded 22 to their 16.

You''re probably right PR, I think he has probably learned his lesson - his time in Scotland was particularly impressive (if short lived). Was just pointing out that every manager has ups and downs, I remember defending him to my sc*m mates after their relegation and they just wouldn''t have it. And, as ZLF points out, our record since Earnie arrived is remarkably similar to theirs - even if we haven''t been happy with the performances. I actually thought that we made a good attempt to keep it low on Sunday and, despite the score, played a pretty good game of football - my main criticism really was in defence, which I think certainly looks stronger with Shackell in the team.

We do need to get behind them at the beginning of the season, I think with that type of play they may be able to get it together. If we''re back to the same old squit as last season then the heat will inevitably turn back up and I think there would be a lot more outspoken support for removing him than there has been. But, to be honest, what I saw on Sunday gave me cause for a bit of optimism about next season - particularly the understanding that I think Huckerby, Earnshaw and Mcveigh seem to be developing. And I thought Etuhu looked pretty good for long spells of the game.  I have to say though, I don''t understand why he seems so reluctant to get Johansson on board. Could be interesting to see who we''ve got lined up for summer targets (right-winger), like you say Burley hasn''t wasted any time there.    

I could say ''I told you so'' but I''''m not like that.

Hell, yes I am! I told you we needed Burley, and you all laughed at me.

Well, now cry.

Living in Southampton I read and see in the local media a lot about Southampton and by no means did Harry blood a lot of youngsters.  It was realistically only Walcott that emerged under ''Arry and that was because he had little choice due to other players not performing or being injured.  Dexter Blackstock was loaned to Derby by Harry and scored 5 in 6 during a period where Saints strikers couldn''t a hit donkeys behind with a banjo. 

The only time it could be considered he really gave youth a chance was in the Carling Cup.  This met with a lot of fan disapproval because afterwards he pointed to the defeat and basically said to Lowe, "Look, I told the squad needs strengthening".  The fans and local media both felt he had treated them as lambs to the slaughter to win a petty argument with the Chairman.

As for Burley, well he is using more Academy players but considering they  probably have the best academy team in the country, you would have to be a complete muppet not to tap into that resource.

[quote user="macdougall loves his perm"]

You''re probably right PR, I think he has probably learned his lesson - his time in Scotland was particularly impressive (if short lived). Was just pointing out that every manager has ups and downs, I remember defending him to my sc*m mates after their relegation and they just wouldn''t have it. And, as ZLF points out, our record since Earnie arrived is remarkably similar to theirs - even if we haven''t been happy with the performances. I actually thought that we made a good attempt to keep it low on Sunday and, despite the score, played a pretty good game of football - my main criticism really was in defence, which I think certainly looks stronger with Shackell in the team.

We do need to get behind them at the beginning of the season, I think with that type of play they may be able to get it together. If we''re back to the same old squit as last season then the heat will inevitably turn back up and I think there would be a lot more outspoken support for removing him than there has been. But, to be honest, what I saw on Sunday gave me cause for a bit of optimism about next season - particularly the understanding that I think Huckerby, Earnshaw and Mcveigh seem to be developing. And I thought Etuhu looked pretty good for long spells of the game.  I have to say though, I don''t understand why he seems so reluctant to get Johansson on board. Could be interesting to see who we''ve got lined up for summer targets (right-winger), like you say Burley hasn''t wasted any time there.    

[/quote]

couldnt agree more, the backing has to be there at the start of the season, but a couple of bad results from the off and we will be back in the same situation with regards to the fans.

The team looked much improved Saturday, Etuhu played a lot better, the defense looked poor again however.  With Safri back the midfield will improve, but we really need a right winger and almost certainly a target man.  Hopefully a creative midfielder also.  I thought Fleming was doing a decent job at right back recently but Colin needs to be backup as he is taking time to adjust.

Johanson, I dunno, I guess he feels he cant play JJ2  and Erny in the same team??  I feel some posters have judged Johanson before giving him a chance.  He scored 3 times for us when picked, has hit the bar, had a onside goal ruled out and has looked lively.  Unfortunatly due to our awful midfield problems he has looked anonymous away, just like Erny to be fair.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Well, now cry.

[/quote]

For once I was not laughing at one of your posts Wiz.Totaly agreed at the time and still do.

Others we''re saying after 5 games he was''nt the right man,but only a fool judges after such a few games.

He is a great manager and would of been an asset to this club for sure.

[quote user="steve hale"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Well, now cry.

[/quote]

For once I was not laughing at one of your posts Wiz.Totaly agreed at the time and still do.
Others we''re saying after 5 games he was''nt the right man,but only a fool judges after such a few games.

[/quote]

I know another man whom apparantly ridiculed George Burley after he had been in charge for 10 or 12 games to fans in the barclay...  Neil Doncaster......

[quote user="steve hale"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Well, now cry.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know another man whom apparantly ridiculed George Burley after he had been in charge for 10 or 12 games to fans in the barclay...  Neil Doncaster......

Yeah, like you say we need a right winger, a target man and a creative mid-fielder - so with that in mind we can probably look forward to spending all summer chasing three centre backs and two goalies. [:)] 

When the para payment run out we will be forced to sell our better players.

Whith little or no money I would rather have a GB than worthington any day of the week.