Sign in to follow this  
slackey

steve foley sacked

That seems strange. Get rid of a coach rather than the main root of the problem. Munby said it was a "positive step" to replace a coach. Am I going mad or can I not see the huge positives of replacing 1 coach? Follow him out of the door Worthy.....

one on the chin Eh steve??? one on the chin....

Worth noting that muby has said there will be a "coaching shake up" in the summer

jas :)

Remind me - which of our coaches has the appropriate qualifications, selects tactics and chooses the team?  

One out all out.  Piecemeal is not good enough.

I seem to recollect the likes of Bellamy & Keith O''Neill both singing Foley''s praises in interviews after leaving the club.  Maybe he has gone a bit stale.  Then again, maybe he will get picked up by another club that rates him and go on to do very well.  It does seem like perhaps he has been made the scapegoat for the staff as a whole being unable to freshen things up themselves.  I would have thought that forward thinking managers and coaches have and take on board ideas to freshen up their style of coaching.

Has anybody got any ideas who Worthy might be lining up to replace him with?...Carlton Palmer perhaps (shudder)

From sources quite close to the club and some of the players - Foley was actually the best of the Famous Four (and i''m including Keith Webb here). Alot of the players actually had alot of respect for him - more than they did for the others.(apparrently Craig Bellamy still rings him up for advise - which says alot about the man)

So unless some of the others go aswell - expect to see NO changes to the style of football we play - morale may even drop further with the players.

Lets hope this is just the start - surely Livermore must go aswell - just actually what does he do....as for Keith Webb (who gets on well with Worthington) he has no coaching qualifications or footballing background and he was becoming more and more involved with decision making within the team as the season went on and see where that got us.

All I can hope is the new head coach is allowed to bring his own team in with him - here''s praying.

It does feel like he is being made the scapegoat

well they got the wrong man!

steve was probably mistaken in saying ''one in the eye'' but this is just another occassion of crossing swords with nigel the control freak. those that attend colney have told me that since christmas steve has been nothing but a ball boy, pushed to the outside for failing to rate nigel''s new signings and direction, and that webby has been doing his job. yes that will be the keith webb who should never ever have a job with us, he''s a failed everything, but critically a yes man.

steve departure is nothing more than the search for a scapegoat and I''m disgusted.

adie boothroyd part 2 - if you have an opinion nigel''s not interested and you are out of the door.

bellers doesnt take any nonsense from anyone, and there was a reason why he respected steve so much - it was becasue he was damn good, unlike the others.

good luck steve, you''re better off out of there

Finally an admission that the coaching team is failing....

how much longer before we get rid of the head clown, if they hire a new coach it is a really BAD sign.  What if a new man wants to bring in his own staff when worthy is finally done away with.  I wonder if the new man will be able to get the team to defend a corner properly??

I seriously beleive the board underestimate many fans feeling about Worthy and they think the problem will go away.

I can tell them one thing this TRUE SUPPORTER will not forget and will not forgive.............

WORTHY OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!  FOR THE SAKE OF OUR CLUB

I know Steve Foley''s brother (no I really do!) and last time I saw him he made some very interesting comments.

Steve believes that many of this years signings are crap and need to be cleared out.

He had a bust up with worthington over the release of Edworthy.

When he returned from his ill health early in the season the players fitness was at the lowest he had ever seen it.Too many golf days and bonding sessions, not enough training.

Worthingtons man management skills are crap. When Flem was dropped the first he knew was in the team meeting. Any way to treat a senior pro? In contrast the players have a lot of respect for Steve and his style(as Craig Bellamy has stated).

Steve & Worthington reguarly clashed over tactics, players etc...

Steve Foley leaving the club is a bad thing. It proves that the board are 100% behind Worthington and his vision for our club. Steve Foley should of been the last of the coaching staff to leave.

It seems like an attempt to buy off criticism, having pararded players one by one to say how much things will be in the future.We shall know how serious it is to inject new ideas when we see who is appointed. An ternal promotion will not do, unless it''s Dave Williams.One down, two to go!

There was football rumour with this one it. It was posted on here about a week ago, can anyone find it cause I said about Steve Foley being sacked!

Got it!

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/672378/ShowPost.aspx

Maybe this rumour is actually from someone close to the club!

If someone like Crook was brought in to replace him would anyone complain?People may say the likes of Bellamy still contact him which is fair enough but that was back when he was in the youth set up and working with youngsters during a period without an accademy.Having worked in situations like that with kids on a day to day basis I am sure they do see him as a father/uncle figure. I think it is a shame that they are letting him go completely and just not getting him back into the youth side of things which is debatedly where we have seen the most of his work.Please don''t bring Boothroyd into this - Worthington wanted him to stay and even argued with the board to do what they could to keep him. But I think as has been seen with Watford - Boothroyd is very ambitious and wanted to move onto bigger things. You can not hold that against him or Worthington, its natural progression and there was no room for him at the time to become part of the coaching staff.Personaly I think the club are going to insist that somone with fresh ideas is brought in to add new zest and approaches to things.What I do extremely disslike is the number of people that come on here with made up gobbledygook trying to yet again make another mountain out of a mole hill in an effort to build up more ammunition in the form of mud to sling at Worthington.Again I will point out that this has been the fundlemental floor of the pinkun boards "out" protests so far. After a season like this people still need to look for more mud to throw when there is plenty at hand already - with more substancial arguments behind it than "Worthington hates everybody". To be  quite  honest its  rather childish.

who can Remember Neil D saying last year that the contract covered "all 3" of the coaches.. so if one went they all went???

1 word B****CKS!!!!!

yet again the club opens its mouth and puts its foot in it.

Thinking about it now Foley has been at the club for a lot of years, i know someone who knows Foley well and he felt his input was no longer being listened too sine returning from his illness.

Keith Webb is the likely replacement.

Either way, i still feel that the club have, yet again, lied to us... they want to be seen to be taking action to appease the WO''ers, but the whole point of the campaign is to get rid of the man that matters... he''s ultimately the one who oversees traning etc so if its going wrong he should sort it out sooner.

having said that, could it really be the start of change.. Munby mentions a "shake up" are they listening to the fans finally and Worthy, Livermore and Webb are to follow? [6]

jas :)

[quote user="chicken"]If someone like Crook was brought in to replace him would anyone complain?

People may say the likes of Bellamy still contact him which is fair enough but that was back when he was in the youth set up and working with youngsters during a period without an accademy.

Having worked in situations like that with kids on a day to day basis I am sure they do see him as a father/uncle figure. I think it is a shame that they are letting him go completely and just not getting him back into the youth side of things which is debatedly where we have seen the most of his work.

Please don''t bring Boothroyd into this - Worthington wanted him to stay and even argued with the board to do what they could to keep him. But I think as has been seen with Watford - Boothroyd is very ambitious and wanted to move onto bigger things. You can not hold that against him or Worthington, its natural progression and there was no room for him at the time to become part of the coaching staff.

Personaly I think the club are going to insist that somone with fresh ideas is brought in to add new zest and approaches to things.

What I do extremely disslike is the number of people that come on here with made up gobbledygook trying to yet again make another mountain out of a mole hill in an effort to build up more ammunition in the form of mud to sling at Worthington.

Again I will point out that this has been the fundlemental floor of the pinkun boards "out" protests so far. After a season like this people still need to look for more mud to throw when there is plenty at hand already - with more substancial arguments behind it than "Worthington hates everybody". To be  quite  honest its  rather childish.
[/quote]

If they werent gonna sack worthy they could have at least got rid of Livermore - he comes across as the laziest and most worthless of the coaches...  there again he is probably a yes man isnt he.....  More long balls it is then...

Worthy Out Now!!!

From the petition:

Worthy Out: Mr Doncaster, I hope the termination of Steve Foleys contract is the start of the rebuilding process - because if you are using him as the scapegoat and everyone will be happy because you have taken this decision you are seriously deluded. A number of people close to club (appreciate not as close as you) actually stated Steve Foley was the best of the management coaching staff, however was being sidelined by Worthington and his lacky Keith Webb for standing up to him. Can I suggest you terminate the contract of the person that is the root of the problem not a symptom of it - hopefully this is the start of the summer clearout. Can you please tell me what Doug Livermore actually does (other than take a nice big pay check each month - perhaps this would be better spend on a new player ?) - Ian

What coaching badges does Keith Webb actually hold anyway?? wasnt he like tea boy or something originally??

[quote user="chicken"]

Again I will point out that this has been the fundlemental floor of the pinkun boards "out" protests so far. After a season like this people still need to look for more mud to throw when there is plenty at hand already - with more substancial arguments behind it than "Worthington hates everybody". To be  quite  honest its  rather childish.
[/quote]

Flaw in what - this is pub talk on these boards, yer gonna get semsible people, scare mongerers all types of people and all ages.....

In essense many want worthy out because he has become stale.  He is wasteing the clubs money, not getting results and now has started offending the customers!  What more needs to be said really....

I cant see the club making a series of sacking anouncements; unless they were backed into a corner they will surely only do one?

As far as boothroyd was concerned at the time of his departure the tactical suggestion to worthy followed by dismissal scenario was we;; known - whether worthy really wanted to keep him or whether he was instrumental in his departure we will never know until Ady or worthy tell us the full story; but bearing in mind it is a footballing appointment/decision I know where my opinion sits.

I know I already have posted on here once but I have just thought of a new slant/way to look at this.What happens if the board are going to appoint the new coach? And not Worthington?Foley was obviously on a lot less money than Worthington and it could be an attempt to undermine Worthington to the point where he decides to quite thus not getting a pay-off? Its only a theory mind you.Essentially the new coach will have to be employed by the club and not Worthington so maybe they wont let him appoint just anybody - in this situation there could be a clash of personalities such as Harry Rednap at Portsmouth with the appointment of a director of football which altimately led to him leaving as he felt undermined.Either way the new coach could potentially be an attempt to unsettle the current situation and jolt it back into shape. Businesses in my experience do this every now and then with some positions to bring in new and fresh ideas with people who have yet to prove themselves - it can create drive and passion amoungst co-workers.Like I said before I think there are few players at the club now that have really worked with Foley in the same way that he did with the likes of Bellamy etc, it could just be that the time was right combined with his ill health that has culminated in the decision. From his comment it seems more like a mutual agreement rather than a "I am sorry, but you are not up to it anymore" straight out sacking.

I reckon Foley will get snapped up by another club pretty quickly.  Would Webb if he were to go?

Hopefully Dave Williams will step up to the plate or Crook perhaps.  I''m not sure either''s ideas on how football should be played will go down too well with Worthy.

If Foley''s sacking was done to try to placate the fans, then I''m sorry, but it will have little or no effect. I can''t recall too many chants of Foley out! last season, can you? Maybe it is the 1st in a series of sackings to include the worst culprit, Worthless himself - but I won''t hold my breath!